Author Topic: Lets talk all things DEP  (Read 2375 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Lets talk all things DEP
« on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 06:43:47 AM »
I'm getting more curious about Dillinger Escape Plan, I really want to check them out. Im not sure if there's anyone here really familiar with them, if so, then come and post! I would like your impressions on albums and such.

I actually find this song really fucking cool even though it sounds nothing like what DEP usually does, its more Faith No More inspired and its really awesome.

Dillinger Escape Plan - Black Bubblegum

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Lets talk all things DEP
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 08:19:52 AM »
DEP is weird as shit.  They pretty much pioneered their subgenre (some people call them "math metal", but they're absolutely nothing like Meshuggah or any similar bands, they're not based on pattern at all, they're just chaotic as all hell in a semi-organized and extremely precise fashion), and any band that sounds like DEP pretty much sounds exactly like DEP and has no original voice of their own.  Though DEP sounds different now than they did at the outset, so some bands still copy their earlier stylings, which they've sort of given up to some degree.  Miss Machine is less insane than Calculating Infinity, say.

I'm really not sure how I feel about them.  There are times when even someone as into weird shit as I am has trouble saying they're actually playing music, but it's incredibly interesting even if not always enjoyable to listen to.  And there are definitely moments of brilliance scattered throughout.  What's weird is how popular they are.  Tons of people who don't even generally listen to roughly similar music seem to have caught on to them, and I couldn't give you the first reason why.  Go figure.

As for recommendations, all I can recommend are the disks I have, which are all varied enough to be worth it.  Calculating Infinity is the earliest, I believe, and it's by far the most completely insane.  It's interesting, but I can't listen to it frequently.  Irony is a Dead Scene is a must-own EP because of the collaboration with Mike Patton, and it's pretty unique and interesting.  Miss Machine is less insane than the other stuff, and hence a lot more listenable, and I hear their latest album is more along those lines as well.  Belmont could tell you more, as I'm pretty sure he's got that one.  I don't have their self-titled album.

So that's about the best I can do.  Try them and see if you like them before you buy is all I can say.  Yeah, it's metal, and yeah, it's weird, but just because it's got a following doesn't necessarily mean you're going to enjoy the stuff.  Make sure you do first, because honestly, I think a lot of people just buy their stuff because it's popular.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Lets talk all things DEP
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 12:05:43 PM »
"Black Bubblegum" is an interesting track and you would probably like a lot of what is on the albums Miss Machine and Ire Works.  All of their albums are fairly different though, Calculating Infinity is probably the most chaotic but is a good listen especially the track "43% Burnt".  Like Que said, Irony is a Dead Scene is an excellent collaboration with Mike Patton, and its not nearly as chaotic as Calculating InfinityMiss Machine is probably my favorite album with Calculating Infinity in a close second probably because of this track off of Miss Machine, "Panasonic Youth"Ire Works is a good, solid album as well and a little less crazy than Miss Machine and has a great track titled "Fix Your Face".

YouTube has a plethora of Dillinger Escape Plan videos from live concerts and stuff, but yeah give Miss Machine and Calculating Infinity a listen to, if you like those two albums you're going to most likely like the rest of their stuff.