Author Topic: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition  (Read 45145 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
« Reply #120 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 03:46:02 AM »
Man, I think i really need to reinstall/update this.  But Fallout 3 is so close...
When FO3 comes out these are the only games I'll probably be playing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #121 on: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 03:26:59 PM »
Some Community-Made Mods Released
Blight of the Bogs
Poet's Pride

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #122 on: Thursday, October 30, 2008, 04:00:11 PM »
The Witcher has now sold a cool ONE MILLION COPIES!

The Witcher Sells a Million

Scientists Uncover Irrefutable Evidence that Single-Player PC Gaming is not Dead as CD Projekt RED’s RPG of the Year Breaks Sales Milestone

Warsaw, Poland – October 30 – All the ghouls, vampires and wenches in the world couldn’t stop the white-haired Geralt from conquering the world! CD Projekt RED is proud to announce that The Witcher, the epic RPG that puts players in the morally lenient boots of the aforementioned anti-hero, has sold more than a million copies to real, live people since its release twelve months ago. Scientific research has proven that those sales numbers are quite good for a debut game based on a relatively unfamiliar IP from an unknown studio on a “dead” platform.

The news comes just weeks after the release of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, which was developed based on fan feedback to further improve the game that was named PC RPG of the Year by IGN, GameSpy, PC Gamer, Play and many more. The studio spent close to a year improving various facets of the game to deliver the ultimate role-playing game, then released the update for free to existing fans and loaded the retail package with extra value to encourage retail sales. As always, it seems that the customer is always right, as the Enhanced Edition is getting higher review scores than the original across the globe.

“We created The Witcher with the intent of becoming an acclaimed and successful development studio that always made games for its fans; we spent more than $11 million developing The Witcher and the Enhanced Edition, and it sure is nice to make some of that money back!” said Adam Kicinski, CEO of CD Projekt RED. “The success of The Witcher has ensured that we’ll be able to make the games we want – and the games that fans want – for the foreseeable future, and the amazing response we had from the gaming community to the Enhanced Edition really reinforced that we’re on the right track with our development philosophy. We really couldn’t have achieved this sort of success without the support of our amazing fans.”

“This is really just the beginning for us,” said Michal Kicinski, co-founder of CD Projekt. “There are a lot more places to explore in the world of The Witcher and there’s obviously a huge audience out there that would still love to see the game on consoles… we’re PC developers first and foremost, but you never know! We’ve already unveiled our DRM-free classic-games distribution site at GOG.com, and we intend to build that site aggressively in the coming months. We’re also rather close to breaking our silence about the multi-platform project underway at Metropolis Software, in which we recently acquired a majority stake. Needless to say, we’re very excited about the future and we think gamers will be, too!”

A video celebrating The Witcher’s anniversary, featuring footage of unannounced upcoming titles was released today at GameTrailers.com (HD version at http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42116.html). For more information about The Witcher visit http://www.thewitcher.com.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #123 on: Thursday, October 30, 2008, 04:58:44 PM »
Heh, they have fun press statements.  Go Witcher!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #124 on: Thursday, October 30, 2008, 05:46:45 PM »
Awesome news :)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #125 on: Thursday, October 30, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
Great. That's good to hear.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #126 on: Monday, November 03, 2008, 07:43:05 PM »
Witcher: EE - One million sold, One year anniversary trailer from CD Projekt.

There are clips of GOG in there, Metropolis's upcoming THEY, and there looks to be new Witcher footage (FMV and new game footage).

Is more Witcher DLC coming? Witcher expansion? Witcher 2 maybe?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #127 on: Monday, November 03, 2008, 08:00:51 PM »
Yes please!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: Monday, November 03, 2008, 11:53:12 PM »
OH MY GOD, IT'S ALMOST 2009 NOW!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday, November 04, 2008, 12:24:01 AM »
haha Imagine if they release "The Witcher: Even more enhanced Edition."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #130 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »
GamingNexus has an interview w/ CDPR post-Witcher: EE

The Witcher was a staff favorite when it was released last year and we were intrigued to see what CD Projekt had up their sleeves for the updated version of the game that was released a year later:

Gaming Nexus: Can you introduce yourself and describe your role on the project? How long have you been in the gaming industry and what drew you to your current position?

Maciej Szcześnik: My name is Maciej Szcześnik and I was the Project Lead during the development of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. I’ve been working in the industry since April 2004. I worked as Lead Gameplay Designer on The Witcher, and as far as I can remember, since I finished primary school I’ve known that I would one day make games for a living.

GN: The Witcher Enhanced is quite a tune up of an already award winning game. What made CD Projekt RED decide to release the new version of the game?

MS: Our main reason was to give our players something more. They showed their trust in us by buying our debut game, and we wanted to reward them for that trust. We want to make games for players, not for publishers.

GN: CD Projekt RED has put a lot of time and devotion into The Witcher and The Witcher Enhanced. Is this the kind of dedication gamers can expect from future projects or was The Witcher Enhanced a special case?

MS: As I said before, we make games for players. We all play games, and we all want to play good games. The best ones. I am sure that every game we develop will be made with the same amount of dedication. We don’t really see the point of creating a game that isn’t up to gamers’ high standards; we wouldn’t play it, so why should you?

GN: Many players enjoy games specifically because they can be modded. Are there any new features or updates for D'jinni in the works?

MS: [n]We are not working on D’jinni right now. We may work to modify/improve it in the future, but we’re happy with the Editor as it is. If we will plan anything new, we will let you know for sure.[/b]

GN: Is CD Projekt planning on specializing in RPGs or are cross-genre games or even titles from a completely different genre possibilities?

MS: At the moment we plan to stay with RPGs, but we aren’t shutting out different genres. As designers, programmers and artists, we play all kinds of games. Most probably we will try different genres, as well, but first we want to establish ourselves as a top RPG developer.

GN: The Witcher is closely tied in with the music industry and has inspired and encouraged some excellent work. Will CD Projekt continue to work with musicians on future games?

MS: We would like to do it, for sure. It really just has to make sense for the product, but we were quite happy with the Music Inspired by The Witcher CD.

GN: Do you have any kind of statistics on how many owners of The Witcher have upgraded to the enhanced patch? How are you getting the word out to existing owners?

MS: We don’t have any official stats yet, but there were about 30,000 downloads during the first weekend. We get the word out to our existing users via newsletters and different game oriented websites; hopefully that will reach most of the players who purchased the original.

GN: Even if a player purchased the original game in 2007, there's a lot of incentive to purchase a copy of The Witcher Enhanced for all the extras included in the bundle. How many others like myself do you estimate have gone for that option?

MS: We don’t know that yet. We are still waiting for initial sales. All we know now is that lots of people – whether first-time players or existing customers – have purchased The Witcher: Enhanced Edition at retail and online. In Poland it is on the top of the bestsellers’ lists in malls.

GN: What of all the changes made to The Witcher Enhanced is the most important or satisfying to you personally?

MS: I have three :). Loading times, new inventory screen and multilingual edition. I can finally play with English voices and Polish subtitles. Then I will play with Russian voices and Polish subtitles :).

GN: Official modules and the first community mod from Red Flame have already been made available for download. Are there any plans for an official expansion pack or is the next step a full blown sequel?

MS: Our plans are top secret. I would most probably die in a mysterious accident if I told you anything. So I will not :).

GN: We'd like to thanks Maciej for taking the time to answer our questions and to Tom for helping to setup the interview.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #131 on: Friday, November 28, 2008, 08:18:10 PM »
You're going to have to get hunting all over CDPR's websites and links for clues to what their next game is

Looks like more Witcher planned, at least...

Gonna have to dig through links and stuff.
And the first one to figure it out, gets a prize or something from CDPR.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 10:34:24 PM »
Well, this is certainly good news for this great game, but I personally was hoping for something completely new.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #134 on: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 10:47:08 PM »
Well, this is certainly good news for this great game, but I personally was hoping for something completely new.

I was hoping for Witcher Expansion PC or Witcher 2 PC, myself.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #135 on: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 12:13:59 AM »
Yeah.  And while I want the game to succeed because it absolutely deserves to, it also makes me nervous because I don't want it to sell super hot on the console and make yet another developer turn their attention away from the PC.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #136 on: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 06:24:30 AM »
Yeah.  And while I want the game to succeed because it absolutely deserves to, it also makes me nervous because I don't want it to sell super hot on the console and make yet another developer turn their attention away from the PC.
Agreed.

I'd have no problem w/ them multi-developing their games for PC and consoles at once and releasing those versions all at once a la Bethsoft with Fallout 3 -- but that would be ONLY as long as they don't screw up the PC version on the technical performance, controls, and interface b/c they're doing them all at once.

We don't CDPR to pull a Ion Storm like what they did with DE: Invisible War -- it's not like IW was bad, it's just it got "consolized" on the PC version in technical performance, controls, and interface.

EDIT:

Tom Ohle been posting on CDPR about what they're up to, vaguely
Quote from: Tom Ohle of CDPR
Hi everyone! We have not made any official announcements yet... what I can say is that RED is working on three unannounced games.

Ohle clears stuff up a little bit more.
Quote from: Tom Ohle of CDPR
The project known as They is in development at Metropolis Software, while RED has its own three titles in the works.
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 30, 2008, 08:42:51 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #137 on: Monday, December 01, 2008, 08:20:28 PM »
Vanworden of CDPR confirms there'll be two more patches for Witcher: EE coming soon.

Quote from:  Vanworden of CDPR
I don’t want to interrupt your discussion and whole thread.

I just would like to inform (if you haven’t heard that before) that very soon we’ll launch two patches for The Witcher Enhanced Edition.

Cheers

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #138 on: Monday, December 01, 2008, 08:38:55 PM »
Huh... I wonder what for.  You'd think this would have been the final version.  They can't mean more bonuses.  More fixes?  I've only had a single crash with the new version, and things seem pretty stable.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #139 on: Monday, December 01, 2008, 08:42:04 PM »
According to that thread, some gamers have experienced sound bugs and dialogue being blurred out a little bit...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #140 on: Tuesday, December 23, 2008, 02:45:37 PM »
According to that thread, some gamers have experienced sound bugs and dialogue being blurred out a little bit...

New Witcher: EE Patch 2.3 released to fix those issues specifically.

105 MB download.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, December 24, 2008, 07:08:44 AM »
I installed the hotfix but now the game requires the DVD in the drive to run! WTF?!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, December 24, 2008, 08:15:48 AM »
I installed the hotfix but now the game requires the DVD in the drive to run! WTF?!

haha You inspired this one:

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, December 24, 2008, 08:18:52 PM »
That sounds just about right.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 03:29:23 PM »
A little thing here from CDPR on some of the girls involved with making and producing The Witcher.

I'm going to highlight Patrycja Sanczyk's story, b/c she went from being a Witcher modder to RED asking her to actually work for them.

That's just awesome -- to be a modder and all, then suddenly a game company asks you to work for them. :)

Patrycja Stańczyk - Junior Image Artist

Patrycja’s story, or from community directly to RED :)
That’s right :) I was working on the “Midsummer Night’s Dream” adventure, I was active in the community, and then one day RED asked me If I wanted to work for them and I didn’t say no ;) How am I dealing with it? As an IT school graduate (finished rather an unorthodox major of multimedia) “mainly male” surrounding is the one where every day I saw no more than 2-3 women, 50% of which were sanitary staff. At RED every day I see 4-5, excluding ladies who prevent us from disappearing under empty Cola bottles, so the surrounding seems rather balanced :)

What can you tell us about working on The Witcher from the perspective of a modder and now?
Comparing work in a team of two people and of 50 is practically impossible. As a modder I fulfilled myself by creating things from scratch, limited by my own whims on one hand, and by lack of labour which could realise those whims on the other. In a big team (such as RED) you co-create a specific vision, which is set with others, so you are limited in your whims.
At the same time, things you do, you do longer and more carefully, you can focus on them without thinking whether you don’t bungle some other part because you spent 3 hours more on a given thing. Generally, transferring The Witcher from hobby to professional work allowed me to develop professionally in, broadly speaking, graphic design and to stay in touch with the witcher community and at the same time to take care of my other plans. Which doesn’t mean that “Midsummer Night’s Dream” won’t see the daylight and EE ;)

Here's Patrycja.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #145 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 04:13:31 PM »
She looks like she is going to cut herself.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #146 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 06:33:54 PM »
She kinda looks like she could be a character in The Witcher!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #147 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 07:26:35 PM »
She kinda looks like she could be a character in The Witcher!
Good point.

Quote from: Pug
She looks like she is going to cut herself.

A cutter probably would be an interesting character (and fitting) in a gameworld as dark, morbid, bleak, and as gritty The Witcher's portrays.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #148 on: Tuesday, February 17, 2009, 07:29:06 PM »
It also looks a little like she might cut someone else if given enough provocation.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, February 18, 2009, 07:36:31 AM »
This thread just got turned into another one of Ds dirty fantasies.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday, February 18, 2009, 06:04:01 PM »
I thought all the posts on the game board were D's dirty fantasies?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, February 18, 2009, 06:20:29 PM »
Quote from: Que
It also looks a little like she might cut someone else if given enough provocation.
Hey now -- this isn't the "Make fun of MysterD" Board! :P

Quote from: Pyro
This thread just got turned into another one of Ds dirty fantasies.
Another? Where's the first one or previous one?   :o

I thought all the posts on the game board were D's dirty fantasies?

Not ALL. :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, February 18, 2009, 06:27:41 PM »
Hey now -- this isn't the "Make fun of MysterD" Board! :P
Another? Where's the first one or previous one?   :o

Not ALL. :P

Oh c'mon D, even your avatar is like a dirtier version of The Shocker!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, February 18, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
My avatar is my imitation of the L4D cover.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #154 on: Thursday, February 19, 2009, 05:27:08 AM »
My avatar is my imitation of the L4D cover.

Zombie shocker? Ew.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #155 on: Friday, March 06, 2009, 02:44:28 PM »
Witcher is now one of the 100 bestselling PC games in history.

Over 1.2 million copies sold around the entire globe, so far.

Veni, vidi … vendidi
06.03.2009 15:56

First of all, I would like to apologize to all of you, as we’re going to brag once again. Yes, yes – I know we promised not to do that again, but on the other hand the occasion is so important for us that we couldn’t avoid mentioning it. So what’s all the buzz about? Well, according to our latest sales data, The Witcher has sold more than 1,2 million copies around the world! “More numbers,” you might say, but let me finish before J Because of those numbers, The Witcher has jumped onto the list of the 100 bestselling PC games in history! Not bad, huh?

Nevertheless, bragging is not the most important thing here. What’s important is the fact that we would like to thanks all of you - our fans. We did it once before with the anniversary movie, and we just can’t stop thanking you for making The Witcher a popular choice among PC games. You are the real proof that sometimes going upstream, no matter what people say, is worth taking a risk. Without you, none of this would be possible and none of our dreams would ever come true.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #156 on: Saturday, March 07, 2009, 12:17:44 AM »
Good!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #157 on: Saturday, March 07, 2009, 05:26:29 AM »
Good!

I'm definitely glad it's selling as well as it has been -- Witcher's great stuff and I'd definitely like to see Witcher 2, in the future.

I'm glad Witcher didn't end up like Planescape: Torment's fate -- a great game that just didn't so happen to sell.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #158 on: Saturday, March 07, 2009, 06:05:34 AM »
Indeed!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #159 on: Tuesday, June 02, 2009, 02:22:57 PM »
Eriash of CDPR has some great news for ALL The Witcher fans.

Patch 1.5 is coming soon, which'll be free for all Witcher and Witcher: EE owners -- which will be DRM-Free.

And also, that there will be a Witcher: EE - Director's Cut Edition coming to the USA.

The Witcher Version 1.5 Coming Soon!
on Today at 11:29:07 am

CD Projekt RED is pleased to announce the upcoming release of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition 1.5!

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition 1.5 is the newest version of the game, including all bonus content from The Witcher: Enhanced Edition and five additional fan-made adventures. Most importantly, The Witcher: Enhanced Edition 1.5 is completely DRM-free! Playing The Witcher will be even more fun without any form of annoying copy protection. Moreover, the 1.5 version of The Witcher will remove the disc check, allowing you to play the game without the DVD in the drive.

All available versions of the game will be upgraded to 1.5, including the forthcoming The Witcher: Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut for North American gamers.

As usual the patch containing the additional content will be available to download for free from our website for all registered The Witcher and The Witcher: Enhanced Edition owners!

More detailed information will be released on our website (http://www.thewitcher.com) as well as on our Press Centre (http://press.cdprojektred.com) in the coming weeks.