Author Topic: Watching To Kill a Mockingbid in The Darkness  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Watching To Kill a Mockingbid in The Darkness
« on: Friday, March 14, 2008, 06:16:59 AM »
How much of To Kill a Mockingbird is in The Darkness?  I heard the opening song on Jenny's TV, and it drew my attention.  The whole opening credits played, and now the movie itself is playing.  At least 5 minutes of it so far.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Watching To Kill a Mockingbid in The Darkness
« Reply #1 on: Friday, March 14, 2008, 06:36:21 AM »
I don't know, but who is Jenny?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Friday, March 14, 2008, 06:42:40 AM »
Not your Jenny!   ;D

She's my girlfriend in the game.  I am in her apartment.

Quote from: Gamespot
When you are invited to Jenny's apartment early in the game, snuggle with her while watching the TV. the movie that's on is the film version of the classic novel "To kill a mocking bird". it is possible to watch this entire movie through the game.

OK, I can stop watching now.  I've seen it.  I was just curious.

Edit:  Wikipedia says the movie is in the public domain.  That explains the choice.  It's a very good classic, though.  It sure beats Plan 9 from Outer Space and the other dreck that usually ends up as peripheral content in games.
« Last Edit: Friday, March 14, 2008, 07:11:06 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 14, 2008, 07:21:32 AM »
How much of To Kill a Mockingbird is in The Darkness

I feel as confused as I do after trying to decipher a long D post.

Please.. a little background. What is To Kill a Mockingbird? How is it in The Darkness? What does how much of "To Kill a Mockingbird" is in "The Darkness" mean?? *brain screams*

I know the book, which is what confuses me even more.

She's my girlfriend in the game.  I am in her apartment.

*brain screams again* You heard the opening song on your girlfriend's TV in the game? WTF? lol.

I feel like Scottws does, after he's been through the WoW posts.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 14, 2008, 07:24:30 AM »
Jeez, Pug.  The Darkness is a game.  Jenny is a character in the game.  To Kill a Mockingbird is a movie that plays on Jenny's TV during a particular scene.

The Xbox 360 version I don't believe contains the full video, but the Playstation 3 version does thanks to the higher capacity disk.  There are numerous other TV channels you can watch at various points, some of which are pretty entertaining.  I found it amusing, and actually did watch about 15 minutes of To Kill a Mockingbird.

I also found that scene in the game amazing.  My first and second times through the game it was very surreal and something of a revelation.  Imperfect in presentation thanks to the limitations of the technology, but it does what it sets out to do in terms of setting up game events perfectly.  It was part of what truly stunned me about The Darkness's storytelling.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 14, 2008, 07:31:11 AM »
Ahhhhh....

That's pretty cool that it has the full length To Kill a Mocking Bird.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 14, 2008, 08:15:33 AM »
Pug you are so uncultured. ;)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 14, 2008, 09:49:31 AM »
I think it's all there.  I let it play for at least an hour.  I went online in the meantime, posted here, looked up info about the movie and the game.  It's very compressed and at old TV res (at best).  I was sitting with Jenny, and when I first heard the movie's opening music, it sounded familiar, but I didn't place it immediately.  The whole scene did feet surreal.  Then the music and the sounds of the kid playing came into focus, and I knew exactly what it was.

I'm liking the game quite a bit.  I wish I could walk faster than a snail's pace, but other than that, it's a real treat.  It took me a couple of hours to get used to the dark powers, and now I hardly use the guns.  I just got the darkling gunner, and I'm taking a break.

Edit:  You never heard of the movie, Pug?  To me, it's an old classic I thought everyone had seen.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 14, 2008, 10:31:01 AM »
I know the book (my sister has it), and have seen the movie sitting in the DVD store several times. As I said above:

I know the book, which is what confuses me even more.

I was just confused by the thread title. I thought it was some game based on the movie, and then I got confused by how it was in "The Darkness". And then this following quote was the proverbial mortal kombat fatality to my confused state... "I heard the opening song on Jenny's TV, and it drew my attention".

My brain was thinking it was one game based on a classic book that was somehow in the darkness, and then Cobra's virtual girlfriend was having it play on TV. From the thread title, I didn't realize "The Darkness" is a game, since thread titles don't allow italics.

Anyway its all good now. I have learned that The Darkness is the game, and that I am a retard. :P

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 14, 2008, 11:50:29 AM »
So, I should get this for PS3 instead of 360?  I played the intro the other day and was very impressed.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Friday, March 14, 2008, 12:41:23 PM »
According to the Gspot review the game is virtually identical for both consoles, the PS3 version having slightly better coloring and the xbox having sharper graphics.

I have to say my interest is piqued as well.  I may grab this in the near future.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Friday, March 14, 2008, 09:53:28 PM »
It's well worth getting.  To sum it up in a few words, it's a story-driven FPS that doesn't do anything wildly new, but what's there is fairly unique and all gels very nicely.  And, truly, it's got one of the best-told stories in recent FPS memory, and there are several shocking moments that will blow your mind.  It most assuredly won't be for everyone, and it's worth reading reviews to discover just what it's all about, but it's an amazing game that didn't get nearly the credit it deserved for its storytelling.

Also: Mike fucking Patton as the Darkness.  I'd have paid twice as much just to hear that happen.  It's just... so perfect.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Friday, March 14, 2008, 11:13:26 PM »
I almost played through the whole thing in one sitting.  I got my ass handed to me several times in a rooftop scene, finally figured it out, and I got to the streets again.  I thought that was the perfect place to break free.  It is very compelling.  The graphics tech is not very impressive, but how it's used alongside the dialog and the rest of the audio is really effective.  I've had several nightmarishly chilling moments, hairs going up on end, all that.  The characters seem very alive, despite their static eyes and faces.  Motion capture, voice acting and scripting go a long way there.  And of course, the premise is great fun.  It's gotten so that the slithering-eel exploration and attack is what I use nearly all the time.  The darklings seem very weak by comparison, though I do like the 4th one a great deal.  Darklings were more useful when my powers were weaker.

I've found other things that play on TVs--several cartoons, music videos and The Man with the Golden Arm, an old Frank Sinatra movie.  I did not watch much at all of that one.  Time has not been as kind to it as it was to Gregory Peck's defining vehicle.