Author Topic: Mass Effect 2  (Read 78017 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Mass Effect 2
« Reply #240 on: Tuesday, March 16, 2010, 07:14:05 PM »
I'll probably start my Insanity playthrough pretty soon.  I imagine the pace will be slower, so I should be timing just right for the new DLC.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #241 on: Tuesday, March 16, 2010, 10:24:49 PM »
Okay, after doing the start for the insanity run:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #242 on: Tuesday, March 16, 2010, 10:33:17 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #243 on: Tuesday, March 16, 2010, 10:43:27 PM »
Yet another spoiler tag.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #244 on: Tuesday, March 16, 2010, 10:46:43 PM »
(click to show/hide)

also...

(click to show/hide)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #245 on: Tuesday, March 16, 2010, 11:40:21 PM »
Second spoiler...in regards to Cerberus?

I hope the Council (whichever one) plays a prominent role in ME3.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #246 on: Tuesday, March 16, 2010, 11:54:37 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I think it would be impossible for the council to play a more important role, for the same reason that Kaiden/Ashley made only cameo appearances that were so negative that they also killed any chance of them appearing again.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 12:39:10 AM by Pugnate »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #247 on: Tuesday, March 16, 2010, 11:57:18 PM »
No I mean the one you are wearing as you are typing. It is kinda cold out here though. Sad

What the fuck?!  WHERE ARE YOU?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #248 on: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I think it would be impossible for the council to play a more important role, for the same reason that Kaiden/Ashley made only cameo appearances that were so negative that they also killed any chance of them appearing again.

Bleh @ only a cameo appearance by Ashley. :(

EDIT:
New Character for ME2 Revealed - Kasumi (The Thief).

BioWare introduces, Kasumi, a brand new addition to the ever-growing library of characters for Mass Effect 2.

"The galaxy's most enigmatic thief Kasumi has enemies everywhere, but only a few could put a face to her name.
Not much is known about her, other than Cerberus has contracted her to assist Commander Shepard in the mission to save mankind. In exchange, she requires help with a dangerous heist to infiltrate the vault of a deadly criminal known as Donovan Hook," reveals BioWare.

"Kasumi is master of stealth and eluding her enemies, her unique skills and technical expertise will be a valuable assets to Cerberus and Commander Shepard."

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #249 on: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 04:04:31 PM »
Bleh @ only a cameo appearance by Ashley. :(

EDIT:
New Character for ME2 Revealed - Kasumi (The Thief).

Kind of a let down that your big choices from the first game only have a superficial impact on the second game, but I still think Ashley was a horrible character.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #250 on: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 04:50:14 PM »
I agree that Ashley was pretty horrible, but she wasn't horrible in the way one would normally expect when talking about a horrible video game character.

(click to show/hide)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday, March 17, 2010, 05:38:59 PM »
Well, as for ME1 characters having small roles in ME2, ME2 characters showing up in ME3...
(click to show/hide)

Also, about Chawkas and the end of ME2...
(click to show/hide)

Oh and Ashley didn't seem that off to me in ME2. I guess because of the way I played ME1. I was renegade, so I was an ass. I led Ashley on up to the point that she said something to the effect of, "What about Liara? Aren't you with her?" and then she bitched or something about me choosing "the alien". So when I met her in ME2, I was working with more aliens for an untrustworthy company, and I was that guy who pushed her to the side way back when. I'm sure most of that wasn't intended, but it worked for my playthrough.

I do have to agree that the ME1 characters having small roles in ME2 disappointed me. I kept thinking some breakthrough with the Shadow Broker was gonna happen, and Liara would join my party or at least have more missions related to her. After a lot of the missions I would go back to talk to her only to get the same "when the Shadow Broker slips up, I'll be waiting" line. There were only like 2-3 little parts in the whole game that acknowledged there was a relationship between her and Sheperd, but I stayed faithful until the end. But then when nothing happened I loaded an old save and banged someone else for the achievement, haha.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #252 on: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 01:51:10 AM »
haha, "faithful until the end".  By the way, Insanity?  Fucking hard as shit. I probably won't have the patience to finish the game again on this difficulty setting.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #253 on: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 04:04:27 AM »
haha, "faithful until the end".  By the way, Insanity?  Fucking hard as shit. I probably won't have the patience to finish the game again on this difficulty setting.

I started a new game+ on insanity to work on that achievement and get my level up for that one too. During the first assignment I lowered it to easy until I hit the appropriate level for the achievement and quit. Insanity seems like it sort of breaks the game, forcing you to memorize enemy tactics and placement, and doing a lot of trial and error. Exposing that side of the game would just make me frustrated and I'd like it less. I'd rather just enjoy shooting people and absorbing the story and world.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #254 on: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 06:04:24 PM »
Insanity is really, really hard.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #255 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 09:10:24 PM »
Mass Effect 2 - Firewalker DLC coming March 23rd.
It's free for anyone who is tapped into The Cerberus Network.

It won't be long be long before you get to try Mass Effect 2's answer to the Mako for yourself. The Firewalker DLC pack will be landing next week.

The pack will feature five new missions based on the brand-new Hammerhead. It will be free to those who have the Cerberus Network.

It will be followed shortly after by Kasumi's Stolen Memory, which is slated to launch April 6. It will introduce the thief Kasumi along with her loyalty mission, and will be the first paid DLC.

The Firewalker DLC will be out March 23.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #256 on: Friday, March 19, 2010, 09:23:44 PM »
Fuck yes!  BAck to working on my insanity run I guess.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #257 on: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 09:03:34 AM »
You know, I still miss my Inventory and all. :P At least we get the weapon loadouts and all of that sometimes on the ship (on the Normandy #2) and/or sometimes even mid-level/mid-mission - and this all feels very much how actually Rainbow Six: Vegas series did this, actually. Without the Inventory, it seems like the game is keeping me constantly involved in the action and less involved w/ the tinkering of equipment as I go along mid-quest/mid-missions.

Regardless, you know, I don't know really what to call this game. Is it a RPG? Is it an ARPG? Or if it a Shooter-RPG? It's kind of a noodle-baker here...I think I might have a decision, once I'm done w/ this and see how much I've upgraded my equipment, characters - and how much the game allows for. The more these games start mixing genres like this, the more I am wondering when we'll just call games "Action", "Thriller", "Horror", "Sci-Fi" like movies are labeled - and less calling them like we call games (Strategy, RPG, Adventure, Shooter, etc).

For me, a RPG usually has two major elements:
1.decision-making which will cause an impact on the gameworld and its inhabitants and the outcome of the endgame.
(Examples - see The Witcher and most Bioware games.)
2.and/or the constant upgrading and swapping-out of characters actual base-stats, abilities/skills, and/or equipment.
(ARPG's usually take element #2 to the VERY EXTREME - see Borderlands, Diablo, Titan Quest, Hellgate: London, etc.)

RPG Element #1 is DEFINITELY still there in full-swing and full-force. I won't touch on this. Not necessary - as there always seems to be decisions to make (usually Renegade or Paragon).

These RPG elements are there, but element #2 is nowhere as there to the extent of the original, at least so far - especially w/ the Inventory system tossed out the window. Though, the upgrading part seems be coming more here and there, as you go along.

It's actually kind of funny - more RPG's seem to aiming for adding MORE action-game elements (Mass Effect 2, FF13) while more action games are adding in the RPG element #2 (Borderlands, STALKER series, what Cliffy B wants to do w/ Gears of War 3).

Hell, many of the "missions" in ME2 seem to be Call of Duty in nature, in terms of linearity - I start the mission at Point A, I'll go all the way to Point B. Though, unlike Call of Duty, you still have to make a deicision on what to do on the quest - which I feel is very important in keeping the game have a RPG quality. Most of these "missions" are on a "planet" - and there's nothing else to do on this planet but this actual mission. I do like that there are still explorable "hubs" like the Citadel and Omega, where there are multiple quests and an area to explore to get immersed into the gameworld - not just get from Point A to Point B linear thing. It seems like ME2 tried to marry the best of both worlds - and it actually works quite well.

So, my question - where's Mass Effect 2 fall? Damned if I know, so far - but I'm really digging this game A LOT. I might be able to decide where it falls, once I finish the game and see everything it has to offer.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 12:07:00 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #258 on: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 09:35:45 AM »
I'm finally playing it! I gotta say I love the action sequences a lot more than the original. Can't say that I'm fond of the tedious resource minigame but I'll take it over the Mako missions from before.

I just ran a quickstart game (Shepard Soldier) and it assumes that I didn't not save the council and that I chose Udina to represent humanity.

So far I'm really enjoying it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #259 on: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 12:04:51 PM »
I'm finally playing it! I gotta say I love the action sequences a lot more than the original. Can't say that I'm fond of the tedious resource minigame but I'll take it over the Mako missions from before.
Yeah, mini-game is the weakness of the game, I think.

I actually liked the Mako missions in ME1. It gave an epic feel to the size of some of these planets, since you traverse a fair amount of terrain in an area.

I just ran a quickstart game (Shepard Soldier) and it assumes that I didn't not save the council and that I chose Udina to represent humanity.

So far I'm really enjoying it.

I took my saved character from ME1 into ME2.
For me...
(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #260 on: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 12:21:23 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #261 on: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 04:32:49 PM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

EDIT:
You know what is kinda odd on ME2 PC?
The ESC key is the menu to certain things, but there's no real hotkey to access just the following on their own:
1.Codex.
2.Squad.
3.Journal.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #262 on: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 05:46:51 PM »

You know what is kinda odd on ME2 PC?
The ESC key is the menu to certain things, but there's no real hotkey to access just the following on their own:
1.Codex.
2.Squad.
3.Journal.
That bugged me too! haha I keep instinctively pressing U to go to the squad menu or J for the journal. Not sure why they removed that option.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #263 on: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 07:30:08 PM »
That's just a minor complaint, compared to how great the game is...
One they could easily probably fix with a patch... ;)

I should check Bioware boards and see if that has even been requested (hot keys for Codex, Journal, Squad)...

Hell, I'd even be happy if ESC Menu was allowed to be given a second Hotkey. I just am not used to reaching for ESC for important in-game content/info. I'm used to ESC for options (audio, graphics, saves, controls, etc).

EDIT:
VGBlogger looks at Mass Effect 2 in their huge review.
« Last Edit: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 08:07:58 PM by MysterD »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #264 on: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 08:08:20 PM »

I should check Bioware boards and see if that has even been requested (hot keys for Codex, Journal, Squad)...

It's been requested for sure.  This was a big complaint among PC gamers when ME2 first came out. Also, no mouse scroll in menus.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #265 on: Saturday, March 20, 2010, 11:19:30 PM »
That bugged me too! haha I keep instinctively pressing U to go to the squad menu or J for the journal. Not sure why they removed that option.

Consolized.

Which is strange, because the performance of the game is amazing.

BTW, this is very important.

On a lot of core2duo rigs (like mine), the game suffers from this major bug where loading times (especially in later stages) can take up to 60 excruciating seconds (when you are just going from one floor to another on your ship).

A page back in this thread, I've posted a solution etc.

Once I fixed that, loading times were down to 5 seconds. Unfortunately, I played almost the entire game before I realizing it was a bug.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #266 on: Sunday, March 21, 2010, 02:00:39 AM »
You have to do that fix every time you load the game though, don't you?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #267 on: Sunday, March 21, 2010, 04:30:28 AM »
Yea but it takes a mini-second. It is a bug in the Unreal engine.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #268 on: Sunday, March 21, 2010, 04:39:37 AM »

*kicks the Unreal Engine*

EDIT:
Quote from: Pug
Which is strange, because the performance of the game is amazing.

BTW, this is very important.

On a lot of core2duo rigs (like mine), the game suffers from this major bug where loading times (especially in later stages) can take up to 60 excruciating seconds (when you are just going from one floor to another on your ship).
Yeah, the game runs very well here, as well. I run the game just fine on my single-core system (P4 single-core 3.2 Ghz HT, 512 MB GF 8800 GT, 2 GB RAM, Win XP Home) on 1024x768. Never a slow-down or anything.

EDIT 2:
From Bioware's Mass Effect 2 Twitter page....
Mass Effect 2 - Appearance Pack DLC announced.

New ME2 DLC announced. New appearances for Thane, Jack and Garrus as an appearance pack. Coming March 23. http://tweetphoto.com/14995984

EDIT 3:
Appearance Pack will cost...
$2 USA Dollars;
or 160 MS or Bioware points.

« Last Edit: Monday, March 22, 2010, 02:40:21 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #269 on: Sunday, March 21, 2010, 10:43:53 AM »
Or you could Core Affinity Resident. I had to use it for Titan Quest since it doesn't handle multicore processors well.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #270 on: Sunday, March 21, 2010, 03:36:37 PM »
Or you could Core Affinity Resident. I had to use it for Titan Quest since it doesn't handle multicore processors well.

Sounds like a cool program - and I might need something like that when I actually get a new PC (with multiple cores).

But, really - Epic should fix this issue if it's common in UE-based games.

It'd be nice if Bioware fixed this problem w/ ME2 PC, as well...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Monday, March 22, 2010, 03:27:30 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #272 on: Tuesday, March 23, 2010, 02:14:47 PM »
Firewalker DLC released for those registered to The Cerberus Network.

Also, Bioware's got a timer going on all of their pages for something to be revealed in a little over 5 days from now - Bioware.com, Bioware's Social Network, etc...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #273 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 06:00:51 PM »
Interesting.  I will be checking out the Firewalker DLC.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #274 on: Wednesday, March 24, 2010, 07:03:56 PM »
I just finished the Firewalker DLC. It's not bad, but I'm very underwhelmed. Not that I expected a lot from free DLC, but the the way it's implemented makes it feel even more useless than the Mako from ME1.

See in ME1, you'd land on a planet and drive the Mako to your destination, probably kill some stuff in the Mako, repair it if it gets damaged, and jump in and out to grab loot and whatnot. Aiming was difficult on anything other than a flat terrain, but was made a little easier if you held the aim/zoom button. Despite it's flaws, I thought it did a good job of keeping the gamplay varied and interesting.

I guess don't read this paragraph if you don't want the vehicle mechanics or gameplay content of the DLC "spoiled" for you.
With the Firewalker, you hover and shoot, and collect resources. It's a Mako that hovers, but without the annoyance of no vertical aiming or the ability/need to aim independently of your wheels (like a tank). You don't repair, you can't zoom, you can't get out. You have 4 buttons: speed boost, jump, fire, and harvest resource. In 3 of the 5 missions, you don't even fight anything, and in none of them do you fight on foot. The only way to get out of the vehicle, is when you approach a door to an interior area, at which point it prompts you to press B, which gives you a loading screen. Once loaded, you're inside and on foot. So the thing is simplified, ok, so is a lot of ME2. But these vehicle sections aren't breaking up the gameplay like in ME1, they're just tacked on and not that interesting on their own.

Had they used the vehicle in the base game, and incorporated so that some missions were a mix of vehicle and foot combat, it would have worked a lot better. But I guess they were steering clear of that because of all the Mako complaints, that I really think were overly harsh.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #275 on: Thursday, March 25, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »
I have been through 2 of the missions for Firewalker DLC - and yeah, it does feel underwhelming. Feels like the two missions I went through were a tutorial - to try and get the feel of the vehicle and whatnot. It feels like it could be a smart part of something bigger or episodic.

Maybe there'll be a bigger DLC or episodic DLC that'll have focus on vehicular combat and whatnot? I dunno, but they just can't stop w/ just this, what they got so far here...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #276 on: Monday, March 29, 2010, 09:10:55 PM »
Finished it - a little over 36 hours or so.

For those who are curious what happened for me...
(click to show/hide)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #277 on: Monday, March 29, 2010, 11:15:14 PM »
The Illusive Man? I thought the whole time that...

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #278 on: Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 03:27:00 AM »
The Illusive Man? I thought the whole time that...

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #279 on: Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 04:33:14 AM »
Mass Effect 2 = Deal of the Day on Amazon.

X360 - Reg. Edition = $39.49
PC - Collector's Edition = $37.99
PC - Regular Edition = $29.49

Free saver shipping when spending over $25 at Amazon.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 09:40:01 AM by MysterD »