Author Topic: Zero Punctuation -- Turok PS3 and the FPS genre  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Zero Punctuation -- Turok PS3 and the FPS genre
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, March 20, 2008, 10:37:34 PM »
I watched that yesterday.  I agree about health meters in particular.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, March 20, 2008, 11:10:30 PM »
That was one of his better ones. I really enjoyed it. Quite funny.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Friday, March 21, 2008, 02:29:46 AM »
Oh, the Jurassic Park theme went over my head the first time.  :D

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, March 21, 2008, 07:32:22 AM »
Yeah, that was a particularly good one.  The Halo jabs were welcome, and I can get behind most of his complaints.

For those who don't know, Exhumed was an old Saturn FPS we knew as Powerslave.  Why do we always get the shittiest game titles?  That's a great example, as is Blade of Darkness which was known as Severance in Europe.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 21, 2008, 07:42:51 AM »
Aww I liked Blade of Darkness! Granted the controls were wonky and awkward.

It was a good episode :)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Friday, March 21, 2008, 07:44:59 AM »
Oh, I liked it too!  Just a stupid name.  I thought the game was phenomenal, and once there was a mod patch thing to address the lack of sidestep the game was perfect.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Friday, March 21, 2008, 10:38:51 AM »
Oh, I liked it too!  Just a stupid name.  I thought the game was phenomenal, and once there was a mod patch thing to address the lack of sidestep the game was perfect.
Hehe true. I actually kinda feel like playing it now :) I know I've got somewhere around here.. I think my copy is actually called "Severance" too.

Getting back to Yahtzee's points: I agree with him on all but the health bar thing. In games like CoD4 or GoW technically there is a health bar, it just regenerates.. You can only so much damage at any given time. Sure maybe some games make it seem too easy.

The main thing I didn't like about having a limited amount of non-regenerative health is it forces me to scrounge around for health packs, and possibly ways to expand my maximum capacity. This kinda broke the immersion for me in some games.

Maybe there's some kind of middle-ground for the health situation.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Friday, March 21, 2008, 12:13:35 PM »
Halo 1 was sort of a middle ground - a regenerative shield and then bars of health which don't regenerate which go down if you shield is shot to shit. I liked it that way. Health wasn't a huge priority but it came into play during some battles.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #9 on: Friday, March 21, 2008, 01:49:59 PM »
Yeah, that was a particularly good one.  The Halo jabs were welcome, and I can get behind most of his complaints.

For those who don't know, Exhumed was an old Saturn FPS we knew as Powerslave.  Why do we always get the shittiest game titles?  That's a great example, as is Blade of Darkness which was known as Severance in Europe.

When it comes to titles -- I always thought Indigo Prophecy just did not sound as good and straight to the point as Fahrenheit, either.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Friday, March 21, 2008, 06:42:34 PM »
Yea I agree with Xessive about health bars. If I'm given a fixed health bar that just replenishes with health packs or power ups, I scrounge for them. I save and load a lot more, because of the fear of running low on health at some later point and not finding a health pack once I get to that point. I do the same thing with ammo though, using save and load a lot.

Halo 1 did it nice, and I think Halo 2 was pretty much the same (haven't played H3 yet). You have a shield that goes down when you take damage, and recharges after a period of no damage. BUT, if you take enough damage to deplete your shield, you start taking actual damage, which doesn't come back on it's own (or at all? I don't remember).

My 2 biggest issues with console FPS though (since the video covered them), are controls and visibility. Controls are obvious, but I think they can be made acceptable, and have by Halo for example. They just feel so bad in most console FPS though.

The other issue is visibility. Maybe it's different on an HDTV with a 360 or PS3, but I'm still living off my original Xbox and Gamecube, with a 19" analog TV. I'm toying around with the Conker multiplayer bot matches on my Xbox and there's entirely too much shit on the screen so I don't know what's going on. Everyone has a name over their head, and it's huge just so it can be readable. The HUD feels like playing a CP FPS at 320x200 in a game with a fixed pixel size for the overlay. Or maybe this is just a problem with Conker, it's been a while since I've played most of my console games.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Friday, March 21, 2008, 11:17:22 PM »
I actually like the current system more than health bars.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, March 22, 2008, 11:02:28 AM »
It's completely unrealistic and tends to make games easier, but I agree.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, March 22, 2008, 01:53:25 PM »
I like both systems, myself. *shrug*