Author Topic: Is Overwritten.net dying?  (Read 12805 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Is Overwritten.net dying?
« on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 07:51:40 AM »
I compiled statistics from our forum use since we've been here on the SMF forums, and I've noticed a fairly disturbing trend.  We're seeing a general decline in the number of new posts and new topics over time.

Are we getting tired of each other?  Have we run out of things to say?  Is this explained by individual users leaving the community over time?

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: Is Overwritten.net dying?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 08:26:47 AM »
well obviously over time some people are going to drop out of this social circle (or at the very least become less active) and we have virtually no way for people who aren't part of this community to learn about it. it's bound to get stale unless we have an influx of new blood.

to get new people interested, we need a reason for them to join in. we've all known each other for quite a long time now (it's nearly 8 years since i first met some of you) - and that's enough of a reason to keep coming back for most of us, but our casual chatter probably isn't going to attract anyone new.

getting the site going would be a good way of introducing new people to our community, but content production has always gone at a snails pace. if we want to do something about this, we need to have some votes about what we collectively think would make a good site, represents what the community as a whole is about, and then manage the project so that it actually happens. i've got some ideas about this, and wouldn't mind sharing them or getting involved in a brain storming session at point. i might send some PMs around or something when i've got some spare time. oh yeah, how's the actual site structure at the moment - is it ready for content?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 08:49:05 AM »
No.  It is in a testing state.  We could be close to something... or far.  It's tough to tell at this point until I get around try trying one particular thing.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 10:15:09 AM »
I see a repeated pattern there, though it doesn't match up to years.  See it?  It's roughly shaped like an "M".  There's still a decline, but much less severe if you expect the pattern to repeat again.  Farfetched, but it's a hope.

I've noticed the slowdown, and I'll sometimes try to start up conversations to battle it.  My share of the blame relates to my personal situation.  The wider problem may be more along the lines of what beo posted, though I don't think having more than forum boards was ever needed to keep the group going.  I'm not going anywhere.  There's a core group here that's not going to be leaving, I don't think--"dying" is entirely the wrong word.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 12:07:09 PM »
Exactly.  Slowing down, yes, but after so much time (how many years has it been since PCCB?) and so many forum changes, you can guarantee a bunch of us will be staying for as long as we have internet connections.  I can't wait to see what the site brings once it's up and running smoothly.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 06:14:40 PM »
Yeah, I've noticed a decline, but I don't fear for the community at all.  I'm closer to a lot of you guys than ever, and while some people have dropped off and stopped posting, I don't think it'll ever stop completely.  I don't start all that many topics myself just because I'm too tired to keep on top of things like game news and stuff as much as I used to, but you know I'm never going anywhere.  Plus I know that a few people have just had personal slumps where they haven't posted as much due to life circumstances or just being busy... and you know, this place still sees constant, consistent action even when things are a little slower.  There are other forums I belong to that have more members and see far less general use, yet they still stick around.

Anyway... I'm not worried.  We'll see some growth again at some point, it's just been a little while.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 09:56:20 PM »
That graph is interesting. The number of people online seems inversely related to the number of posts.

But yeah, I don't think that "dying" is an accurate term - as Cobra pointed out, it seems like it has simply been stagnant for a while now. I know that personally I haven't been posting as much lately just because of things. Also, Pug hasn't been here lately and thus his thread extravaganzas have been absent as well, so that explains, in part, the reason for less threads lately.

If getting new blood in here is the goal, a front page is absolutely the way to do that. I'm willing to contribute in any way that I can (which means I have no skillz).

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, April 24, 2008, 10:36:41 PM »
I don't think it's dying really. I'm around until I no longer have an internet connection. Just life speeds up and slows down. I myself don't get a ton of internet time anymore. Well, not as much as I used too. With school, and work, and my girlfriend, and family. I just don't get a ton of time to just sit around and do whatever.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Friday, April 25, 2008, 12:43:03 AM »
I am very busy.  VERY BUSY INDEED.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #9 on: Friday, April 25, 2008, 12:22:55 PM »
I am extremely busy as well. I check a little from time to time, but I just can't be as active as I was back in the day. I really want to see the community stick together simply because of the great memories I have at this place.

If you need my help in any way don't be a stranger. I don't know what I can give, but I will probably be willing to give it.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Friday, April 25, 2008, 09:50:17 PM »
I'm part of the problem, my bad, guys.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #11 on: Friday, April 25, 2008, 11:52:50 PM »
Part of the problem? You're the entire problem.

It's that attitude that's driven down posts here. Quit your bitchin. We don't want to hear it.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 03:30:44 AM »
I am here! I TOO AM BUSY
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 08:47:57 AM »
I think we need more threads about Ghandi's penis.  That will certainly get us all to post more.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 09:04:04 AM »
Part of the problem? You're the entire problem.

It's that attitude that's driven down posts here. Quit your bitchin. We don't want to hear it.

I feel this is a paradox

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 12:21:53 PM »
I think we need more threads about Ghandi's penis.  That will certainly get us all to post more.

Indeed. My penis alone has the strength to save overwritten from demise.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 06:58:23 PM »
Fuck it, I'll say it. Its because most of the topics here are boring and a lot of the responses in threads are just one liners. No one has discussions here anymore! Yes, I know some of the discussions of the past would get heated, but at least we were discussing something.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 08:55:27 PM »
Since when do we not have discussions?  I note nothing different about our posting habits in this regard at all.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, April 26, 2008, 10:08:56 PM »
Fuck it, I'll say it. Its because most of the topics here are boring and a lot of the responses in threads are just one liners. No one has discussions here anymore! Yes, I know some of the discussions of the past would get heated, but at least we were discussing something.

There are plenty of discussions, you just have to look around. Look at the thread on the CoD4 map pack, for instance, or the sicko thread. Discussions are simply dependent on the subject matter. It's not like I expected a plethora of discussion from my penis thread.

I really think that the main problem lies in the number of regular posters. You can only expect so much out of population that is not terrible big to begin with (and shrinking).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 12:07:31 AM »
This could just mean that we're posting more responsibly.. We're not haphazardly creating irreverent threads.

We're cyber-environmentally conscious.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 12:17:51 AM »
We're not haphazardly creating irreverent threads.
* Ghandi hides

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 12:42:08 AM »
* Ghandi hides
Sure, there may be a few minor exceptions but they're like fireworks; technically wasteful but flamboyant and full of flair! ;D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 04:40:31 AM »
I don't think there's a lot of topics like say in some of the older days of OW b/c...well, there's not a hell of lot out right now for new releases (games) in 2008. Especially on the PC.

A lot of my topics seem to be about games that are just announced or games that just don't seem to be coming out anytime soon.

And many of the new big-name PC games this year (2008) released so far, they so far seem to be console games -- Vegas 2, Assassin's Creed, etc etc. You can add Mass Effect to the list, too -- that's due out next month on the PC. DMC4 PC Version can be added onto the list, too.

All the early 2008 and spring 2008 games got delays -- such as STALKER: Clear Sky, Left 4 Dead and Spore. That really didn't help matters. Even titles a minority of gamers probably really looking forward to, such as Two Worlds: The Temptation, got delayed this year; so, yeah -- that doesn't help matters, either.

I think also that business will pick up, Holidays 2008. By then, hopefully all the games I listed in above paragraph will make it. Plus, I'm highly anticipating Fallout 3 and Mafia 2 -- both planned for around Fall 2008.

I think also that End of 2007 had a hell of a lot of big releases for all of the platforms -- like most Holidays do yearly. For example, for the PC by the time Holiday 2007 rolled in, we saw releases for Bioshock (last week in August 2007), Crysis, UT3, The Witcher, Gears of War PC, Orange Box, Hellgate: London, etc etc. So, I think a lot of us right now just might be catching up from what we missed at the end of last year (2007), too.

Offline KontrollerX

« Reply #23 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 05:18:52 PM »
You guys have tons of talent.

So much talent the internets can barely contain it all.  :P

http://www.macworld.com/article/61123/2007/11/internetcapacity.html

All the site needs is to be a game site or something else with a pile of content and this place will never die. 

Not that it would ever die without that but what I mean is you'll get piles of new members once this place has a mainsite in addition to the forums. 8)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 06:06:37 PM »
Great.  Something else to worry about.  I didn't have enough already.  Thanks.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, April 27, 2008, 11:03:58 PM »
With the Japanese and Koreans relying so heavily on the net we won't have anything to worry about. They'll figure out ways and technologies to maximize it!

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: Monday, April 28, 2008, 10:28:38 AM »
There are plenty of discussions, you just have to look around. Look at the thread on the CoD4 map pack, for instance, or the sicko thread. Discussions are simply dependent on the subject matter. It's not like I expected a plethora of discussion from my penis thread.

I really think that the main problem lies in the number of regular posters. You can only expect so much out of population that is not terrible big to begin with (and shrinking).

Thats not many discussions at all, the Sicko one isn't bad, but the CoD4 thread is a discussion we've had a million times already. I dunno, maybe if your penis were more deserving of mentioning we wouldn't have this problem.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 01:30:47 AM »
Ghandi: Bask in the glory of its light!!
OW Community: That's not light... Somebody call a doctor.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2008, 05:03:58 AM »
Ghandi's thread will drive people away.   i'm not even going to go there.

I'm going to be scarce, but I'll come around.  take care
Taken.

Offline I_Chameleon

• Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, May 01, 2008, 05:58:01 PM »
I've been busy with getting my B.A., while adjusting to my parents' retreat to their tiny village in Pakistan, leaving me haplessly unemployed and underfunded.

After the AOG forums moved elsewhere, I had an unfortunate falling-out with cools, and that contributed to my disappearance. It also took a bit of looking around before I could find this forum, in its current incarnation.

Other current adversities that might limit my participation include a defunct PC, and the general time-famine caused by writing a paper on the psychology of wisdom.

All the same, though, I'm glad I found you peeps again. How've you been?

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, May 04, 2008, 09:29:50 AM »
wow, its like seeing a ghost or something.  I suppose our trail would have been hard to find from AOG since the forums aren't there anymore.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, May 04, 2008, 10:07:04 AM »
So how did you find us again?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, May 04, 2008, 12:18:11 PM »
You people are funny.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, May 04, 2008, 12:20:35 PM »
Lies.  We're mildly amusing at best.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, May 04, 2008, 12:53:53 PM »
Even then its more of a pity laugh.

Offline I_Chameleon

• Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, May 04, 2008, 02:01:07 PM »
I remember cools showing me The Mind's Eye a long while back, and after a few searches, which led to a bunch of unofficial "new homes" for the boards, I wound up here.

The "pugnate nicklone" search might have been mine, too, come to think of it.

And when I landed, there were two feet with ruby slippers pointing out from under the house.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, May 04, 2008, 10:33:09 PM »

I had an unfortunate falling-out with cools, and that contributed to my disappearance. It also took a bit of looking around before I could find this forum, in its current incarnation.

I didn't know it was possible to fall out with yourself.

Offline I_Chameleon

• Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, May 04, 2008, 10:54:52 PM »
Wow, I guess he really convinced you guys, huh.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, May 04, 2008, 10:59:17 PM »
Yes, he really did  ;)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #39 on: Monday, May 05, 2008, 07:26:36 AM »
It's O.K. - we all have alter-egos. I mean, gpw likes to dress up in womens clothes and parade around on the weekends. But we don't fault him for trying.