Author Topic: YouTube contribution from Que! Also, nostalgia for nobody but me.  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
YouTube contribution from Que! Also, nostalgia for nobody but me.
« on: Thursday, May 08, 2008, 09:33:52 PM »
Velour 100 - Flourish

Well, the audio seems a little fucked up, so maybe I'll have to edit this again later, but for now, at least it's up, scratchy or otherwise.  This is one of my favorite songs of all time from one of my favorite bands of all time (and probably my favorite singer of all time).  Enjoy (or don't, whatever).

Got me thinking about some of the stuff I used to listen to on Tooth and Nail, which is where I ended up getting the video.  I ordered a DVD compilation used from somewhere and it shipped with a weird crack in it.  Wouldn't play.  I set it aside for ages and was sad, since I wanted the Velour 100 video and that was the only place to get it.  I found it again after a couple years and decided to try and see if I could somehow extract some data off it since I couldn't remember how much I'd tried before, and low and behold it worked perfectly!  So that was cool... but it made me think about my more youthful listening habits.  And how weird the 90s were, even though they seemed so entirely normal to me standing within them.  I think that was the time in my life that life *around* me made the most sense.  My own life didn't, but the world seemed to.  Now I just look around and fail to understand what I see.

Driver Eight - Strange

Havalina - The Diamond in the Fish

Joe Christmas - Coupleskate

Plankeye - Goodbye

Living Sacrifice - No Longer

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: YouTube contribution from Que! Also, nostalgia for nobody but me.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, May 10, 2008, 03:37:54 PM »
Wow, I think I've heard of all those bands, and used to listen to some myself. I was huge on anything from Tooth and Nail. I'm just gonna throw some band names out. Most of this I probably have on CD in boxes somewhere but not on my PC, so I haven't heard them in years.

Zao
Living Sacrifice
Society's Finest
Shaded Red
Skillet
Reality Check
Smalltown Poets
Third Day
Jars of Clay
Five Iron Frenzy / Brave Saint Saturn
Supertones
Insyderz
Klank
Chatterbox
Circle of Dust
Project86
Strongarm
Six Feet Deep
Blenderhead
Blindside
Embodyment
Disciple
Gryp
Leaderdogs for the Blind
POD
Unashamed
Tourniquet
Training for Utopia

There's a whole lot more I think, but I wouldn't remember most of it without unpacking some stuff. Along with who knows how many differend band/artist releases, I also have various T&N and label compilation CDs, including some Songs From The Penalty Box, This Is Solid State, and one of the Tooth And Nail anniversary box sets.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, May 10, 2008, 04:04:43 PM »
Heh, I know all those.  I used to listen to a lot of stuff off Tooth and Nail.  I wouldn't call myself a fan of Christian music in general, especially not these days, but a lot of the stuff on T&N was fairly dubious in religious association.  Most of the guys were Christians, but not all of the music could really be identified as such (which was fine).  I used to go to $5 punk shows in garages and warehouses around here all the time, and for a couple bucks you'd always see like 10 bands and it would always go to 2 in the morning.  It was awesome.  The whole ska/punk/swing trend got pretty annoying after a while, but there was a surprising amount of crossover.  You had tons of kids who listened to like Op Ivy, Less Than Jake, the Bosstones, Reel Big Fish, and all that other malarkey but would still come to the other shows because the music was just as good.  I don't know what the metal scene is like now, but it was pretty much just as good back then too.  You'd have tons of bands that just played good music, nobody cared what the association was, so you got a lot of crossover, decent crowds, and people who were into whoever was playing just because it didn't suck.  Living Sacrifice was pretty popular back then, so was Zao.  Strongarm was pretty huge too, even though I never liked them much, and the whole Florida hardcore scene took off like a fucking rocket at various points.

I'm glad you mentioned Six Feet Deep, too, because to date that's one of my favorite hardcore acts of all time.  Myk Porter was a pretty amazing lyricist, and his post-hardcore stuff with Brandtson is actually pretty good if you can get past some of the emo stuff, but it's hard to imagine that the same guy was doing really good hardcore like this.  Still one of my all-time favorite bands, and if I ever just want to cry my eyes out and become emotionally devastated, all I have to do is listen to The Road Less Traveled.  It's a shame the stuff they're doing now can't possibly compare to what they accomplished there.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, May 10, 2008, 04:54:22 PM »
I started off not listening to Christian music at all (I'll just says "Christian music", even though some of it wasn't Christian really, but the members were). Later I started going to church and got rid of all my music, and started over with Christian music only. Now I listen to anything that I like.

I've always kind of regretted not making the effort to go to shows. I've been to like 4 concerts in my life, and one small time show.

Back in like 2002 I went to some charity drive concert with a bunch of artists along the lines of Petra and Rebecca St. James, and once I went to a DC Talk concert. When I was in high school I saw Pantera with White Zombie, and a month ago I went to Taste of Chaos and saw Atreyu, Bullet for My Valentine, Bless the Fall, and Avenge Sevenfold.

Once in high school I went to a small show in some church basement, with 3 local bands (one ska, one metal, and one kind of an alertnative rock sound). It was great because it was kind of personal. The bands hung out in the crowd when they weren't the ones playing. I bought a demo CD for one band and a demo tape from another, and I'm pretty sure both bands have died since, but I still have the music somewhere. I wish I had gotten more into that kind of thing. I think I may have become more of a social person if I had, but that's a whole different topic.