Author Topic: Ron Paul  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Ron Paul
« on: Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 12:43:04 AM »
I have followed politics for a long time, and I have heard empty promises. But when the American people really begin to understand what is at stake in this election and what can be lost, who do we want to lead us into the next century?

Ron Paul supports the American people. He understands that what we need is a leader who understands the constitution. He has not quit in this race because he believes in the American people.

This country needs a leader. It needs a leader who understands the constitution. It needs a leader who blindly follows the constitution no matter what.

The media coverage hasn't understood the patriotism of Ron Paul. How can we understand the struggle if the media doesn't cover the more pertinent points of the election? Destroy the WTO! How can we improve our liberties at home with such idiotic transnational organizations?

RON PAUL IS THE FUTURE!!

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Re: Ron Paul
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 01:23:24 AM »
whut
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 09:05:00 AM »
He also hates asians. I forgot to mention that.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 07:56:27 PM »
I like what Ron Paul is doing and welcome the difference of opinion that he offers, but his supporters are usually complete idiots that don't really know shit about ...shit. 

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 09:36:45 PM »
Yeah his supporters are idiots. This was my half-assed attempt to mock them but I was a little drunk writing it and it came off as a little silly.

A lot of his policies are pretty absurd, but he's the only politician that I've ever heard who doesn't sound like a politician. He actually speaks his mind, which is a little odd for a politician.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 10:32:48 PM »
It's admirable and more mainstream politicians should take notes from him. The GOP and his rival candidates did themselves a disservice in my mind by treating him like a joke because he did address a lot of points they don't have the balls to even go near and he also brought up a lot of valid points.  I think he has two weaknesses which make him utterly non-electable and would make him a horrible leader.  First, he is absolutely will not compromise if something goes against his core values.  That sounds great on paper, but lets not kid ourselves, in a democratic republic it's a retarded trait to have in a leader.  This isn't Russia, people (should) respect reason in their leaders rather than bullheadedness. Secondly, he is too bound by his polices.  It may sound like the same thing, but it deals more with how his  policies are basically based on pure theoreticals that don't necessarily have any real relevance.  Adhering to the constitution is good, but binding yourself word for word to it in a global political economic environment that wouldn't even be recognizable to the founding fathers is just stupidly limiting your self.  Yes, there are problems with fiat currencies and there are arguments for going back to the gold standard, but there's a trade off there that I don't think most of his supporters understand.  I'm sure he understands it perfectly - like I said before, he's uncompromising, but he's coming from a different place then they are.  He knows a shitload about pure economic theory, while they watch youtube videos with dramatic music playing in the backround and think they understand the subject completely.  First and foremost, they are missing the very basic point that fiat money and gold both only function based upon perceived value rather then real utility-based value and as such have inherent flaws when used as currency.

Like I said, he raises some very important issues and if the GOP was smart they'd adapt to the ones which suit their (traditional) political philosophy and run with them; non-interventionalism, smaller government, fiscal responsibility as well as promote social policy which has relevance in this day and age such as socialized health care (trim the fat of the government, but in a modified Adam Smith type manner use the power of it to address enterprises which private industry won't, can't, or functionally fails), and improved education.  The main problem with his supporters is they just hear what they want to hear; 

"VOTE RON PAUL! HE'S AN ISOLATIONALIST AGAINST FREE TRADE AGREEMENTS!!!"  Actually, he's basically 100% liberalized trade.  He's against free trade agreements because he thinks they're TOO managed compared to the open border system he'd push for.  This is the same as above, where in a different world and a textbook scenario it could work out fine, but as we've been discussing in the other thread, individuals have different priorities like making sure their manufacturing job isn't getting shipped off just so that the role of government could be reduced and their (non-existent) income tax would be lower.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 29, 2008, 11:41:05 PM »
It's admirable and more mainstream politicians should take notes from him. The GOP and his rival candidates did themselves a disservice in my mind by treating him like a joke because he did address a lot of points they don't have the balls to even go near and he also brought up a lot of valid points.  I think he has two weaknesses which make him utterly non-electable and would make him a horrible leader.  First, he is absolutely will not compromise if something goes against his core values.  That sounds great on paper, but lets not kid ourselves, in a democratic republic it's a retarded trait to have in a leader.  This isn't Russia, people (should) respect reason in their leaders rather than bullheadedness. Secondly, he is too bound by his polices.  It may sound like the same thing, but it deals more with how his  policies are basically based on pure theoreticals that don't necessarily have any real relevance.  Adhering to the constitution is good, but binding yourself word for word to it in a global political economic environment that wouldn't even be recognizable to the founding fathers is just stupidly limiting your self.  Yes, there are problems with fiat currencies and there are arguments for going back to the gold standard, but there's a trade off there that I don't think most of his supporters understand.  I'm sure he understands it perfectly - like I said before, he's uncompromising, but he's coming from a different place then they are.  He knows a shitload about pure economic theory, while they watch youtube videos with dramatic music playing in the backround and think they understand the subject completely.  First and foremost, they are missing the very basic point that fiat money and gold both only function based upon perceived value rather then real utility-based value and as such have inherent flaws when used as currency.

And one of the main things that makes me admire him is the fact that he got into the race purely to spread his positions on the issues - he knew that he wouldn't win. His policies are too grounded in principal, not reality. But he is a smart man - he knows exactly what he is talking about, but he doesn't sound like a politician. And while that is one of the things that almost guaranteed he wouldn't get far in the nomination process, it was interesting to watch him in the Republican debates for this very reason. All of the other Republicans - particularly McCain and Romney - were laughing at every word that he said, and it really pointed to what our politics has become: the more they pander to the idiots, the more they align their decisions towards their way of thinking.

I couldn't disagree less with Ron Paul on most of his core issues, but I respect him a hell of a lot more than I respect most of the corrupt assholes running for office. At least he cares about the people.