Author Topic: Getting in shape  (Read 12076 times)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: Getting in shape
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 02:28:18 PM »
I've made an oath to myself to start getting in shape. I've given up alcohol altogether for the time being (haven't drank in 4 days and I feel MUCH MUCH healthier already) and I started running today. I haven't run in about a year and I ran a 5k on my own in about 40 minutes, which is slow but not bad considering. I feel pretty good at the moment, don't know how my legs will hold up by they aren't sore over an hour after so I think I will be ok.

I also want to start lifting but don't really know where to start.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 05:05:04 PM »
I've been working out for about 8 months now and it's great.  I've stopped drinking alcohol for well about the same time as well.  I might have a casual drink on the rare occasion but other than that I don't consume any liquor.

My routine is generally a lifting workout for four days of the week, with a break in between and I do cardio (running) Tues, Thurs, and Saturday.

When starting out though you'll want to take it easy and ramp it up steadily.  Make sure to watch yur diet as well.  When I started working out I weighed 185lbs and it plummeted to 155lbs.  I'm back up to 165lbs now.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 05:23:49 PM »
Yeah I definitely don't want to lose weight - I'm at 150 now and trying to gain 5 or so pounds in muscle.

I guess I'll just have to eat more.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 08:18:36 PM »
stretch, stretch, stretch--before and after. days you don't run, walk. keep it up for two weeks straight after that your body will crave for it--then it'll get easier.

I'm dying to get back to regular exercise but now i'm not allowed till i recover
Taken.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, May 12, 2010, 11:02:13 PM »
Yeah I definitely don't want to lose weight - I'm at 150 now and trying to gain 5 or so pounds in muscle.

I guess I'll just have to eat more.

If you're eating more, make sure you're eating right.

Is your immediate priority to build more muscle or be overall more fit?  Either way, find someone to go to the gym with - don't start fucking around with free weights alone if you don't know what you're doing.  If you don't want to wait to find someone, go and use the machines, but it'd be good to learn about free weights for a variety of reason.

Also, if not drinking for four days is making you feel that much better, it's a good call stopping.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, May 13, 2010, 12:53:34 AM »
I've been working out on and off for 5 years, for tone, and GPW's advise has helped really me at least thrice. So I recommend you listen to him.

The other thing is that there are a lot of myths when it comes to working out for -- for some reason. So get to the facts. Beware of gym rats. :P

At some point you should move on to free weights, because they are so much more effective, but I was on the machines for at least a year before I moved on. Form is very important, and it is difficult to fuck up form when using machines.

Here is a website I use, which has been helpful:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmaintrain.htm

My advise is you sign up at a gym and meet up with the trainer there, and he will plan things out for you.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, May 13, 2010, 05:28:15 PM »
Thanks Pug.  Sometimes I feel Ghandi doesn't properly respect my authority around here.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, May 13, 2010, 06:04:56 PM »
He just hasn't been the same since that bestiality farm got shut down.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, May 13, 2010, 08:03:33 PM »
gyms are boring to go to though right?  but i guess it's good for motivation.
Taken.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, May 13, 2010, 09:13:17 PM »
Thanks Pug.  Sometimes I feel Ghandi doesn't properly respect my authority around here.

Oh, I do. I respect ALL of the authority you have around here.

And Pug is right. I'm just not the same without some farm animals to snuggle with at night.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #50 on: Friday, May 14, 2010, 01:12:38 AM »

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #51 on: Friday, May 14, 2010, 09:59:48 AM »
fuck this shit. if you're a fat slob and can still get laid, you know you're awesome.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #52 on: Friday, May 14, 2010, 05:11:18 PM »
beo, ur really as crazy as you sound :p
Taken.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:27:48 PM »
So I discovered something at the gym today. Ellipticals.... what the hell am I doing? I've never actually been on one, I typically just stick to treadmills but I need to use ellipticals too so I don't get sore shins. Anyway I get on one of these things and 3 minutes later everything in my legs hurt. I don't know if I'm just using it wrong or I just have some weak ass legs.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:36:47 PM »
No pain no gain.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 12:56:18 PM »
Ellipticals are awesome.  Too bad they're so expensive (as are gyms).  I have nowhere to put one anyway.  Good thing Sandy has a treadmill.  This winter has brought my walking routine to a halt, and it shows.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, January 23, 2014, 10:53:24 AM »
They are fun. Folks got one a long time ago and I used to use it all the time.

Right now I mainly train (or at least try to) on a bike trainer. You ride your own bike and the trainer is small and light if you need to move or travel.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, January 26, 2014, 08:17:32 AM »
I go rock climbing twice a week and it's awesome. It won't exactly get you into shape but it's fun as hell and will motivate you not to get out of shape.