Author Topic: Getting in shape  (Read 12073 times)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Getting in shape
« on: Thursday, May 29, 2008, 11:02:16 PM »
My sister recently came up with a "100 mile challenge" for the family to do this summer, which is basically to run 100 miles in a few months. She runs often along with my mom, but a few other people in the family including myself don't go to the gym often, so I am starting to get in shape.

I'm fairly athletic but I've never really exercised that often so getting myself motivated has been the real challenge. I've begun to feel healthier already, and I smoked regularly until about a month ago when I stopped it completely, so I guess this is the perfect time to start getting in shape.

I would like to get into a set schedule but my work schedule is irregular so that's not really an option. Does anyone have any advice as far as keeping motivated?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Getting in shape
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, May 29, 2008, 11:36:11 PM »

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, May 29, 2008, 11:48:55 PM »
Actually I tried that already, but working out in all leather is one of the worst things that you could ever imagine. The chafing is unreal.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 29, 2008, 11:58:06 PM »
-If you're running a lot and have an ipod nano, think about investing in the Nike+ system.  It might sound like a bit of a gimmick, but there is a reason people use expensive pedometers - they're great motivational tools.  If you don't have an Ipod Nano, there is another option, but it throws an extra $50 or so onto an already sort of expensive investment.

-Directly related to that is get good shoes.  It's pretty tempting to skimp out on running shoes, but they're actually pretty important.  You don't want shin splints, trust me.  You don't have to go huge, but a decent shoe with good sole support is key.  Also, if you're running longer distances than you have before you might have to retrain yourself a bit to strike with your heel instead of your toe.

-Going to the gym blows, but you can make it better.  Bring an mp3 player with both music and podcasts.  I personally go at around the same time every day, but that's mainly because I have to.  With an erratic schedule the main thing is just to make sure you go the days you need to go.  Figure out how many days a week you have to go and figure out a rotation schedule around that. If you have to skip a day for whatever reason, make sure you make it up the very next day and then alter your schedule around that.  The main thing I find is to not give yourself the option out and just kind of turn into a robot.  You're also not getting body-builder jacked so you don't need to spend any more than  40 min. in there.

-The best way I ever did it was go to the gym for a little in the morning, go to work, go back to the gym for a little after work, and then run after on nights I'd do cardio.  It sounds like a lot, but worked out to be less of a time investment then if I just went to the gym once...it was also a hell of a lot less boring.  It is a bit of a bitch to pull off though and might have some kind of negative effect on your results, I don't really know much about the science behind it.

-There are all kinds of 'web 2.0' sites out there that will help you keep track of shit.  I don't know any by name but I'm sure I can find some for you.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Friday, May 30, 2008, 12:52:21 AM »
I'm already in shape. That shape just happens to be a sphere.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Friday, May 30, 2008, 04:47:49 AM »
-If you're running a lot and have an ipod nano, think about investing in the Nike+ system.  It might sound like a bit of a gimmick, but there is a reason people use expensive pedometers - they're great motivational tools.  If you don't have an Ipod Nano, there is another option, but it throws an extra $50 or so onto an already sort of expensive investment.
I have the Nike+ armband already, but do you really need a Nike+ shoe?  I saw the little pedometer remote and it's like a thin ellipse.  I was thinking you could stick it in your regular shoe someplace without too much of a problem.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Friday, May 30, 2008, 09:51:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure you can manage to stick it under the insole of any shoe.  I'll second the notion that good running shoes are important, if there is a running store that does gait analysis nearby I highly recommend it.  Most won't even try to sell you more expensive shoes than you need.

My advice as far as motivation goes is to find yourself a workout partner. You'll be able to motivate each other.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Friday, May 30, 2008, 10:38:17 AM »
How do New Balances rate as running shoes?

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Friday, May 30, 2008, 11:10:53 AM »
I wear New Balance shoes, but they can range everywhere from very cheap to very expensive.  My experience with the cheaper ones is that they're comfortable but wear out quickly.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #9 on: Friday, May 30, 2008, 01:31:14 PM »
From my experience, New Balance's are among the most comfortable of the running shoes.  And they're among the only company that makes decent and comfortable running shoes in varying widths and sizes if your feet are not perfect and normal sized like most peoples...buh.
Another good shoe is the Air Zoom Structure Triax.  They're perfectly comfortable and light with good cushioning too.  There's a lot of options for ya, it mainly comes down to how much you want to invest in them, I say.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Friday, May 30, 2008, 03:26:41 PM »
I wear New Balance shoes, but they can range everywhere from very cheap to very expensive.  My experience with the cheaper ones is that they're comfortable but wear out quickly.
Interesting.  The most expensive pair of shoes I ever bought were also the shittiest.  I bought some Nike Air Max TR II's or whatever and they were $210.  They lasted like six months, tops, before the soles completely fell off of both shoes.  I didn't even use them for running.

I haven't bought any Nike product since, except the armband for the iPod Nano and only because it was the best one I could find.

I like New Balance.  I have 3 pairs now, my oldest being like six or seven years old and they are still in pretty good physical shape.  They don't look so hot though.  My newest pair are Zips (8507), but I don't know if they'd make a great running shoe or they're just all style.

BTW, what do you consider "very cheap" and "very expensive."  I want to get your perspective because I know you're a runner, at least according to one of your former Facebook images.
« Last Edit: Friday, May 30, 2008, 03:51:23 PM by scottws »

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #11 on: Friday, May 30, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »
I have a pair of Nike Shox, which are what those Nike+ things are made for.  I like the shoes, but I don't run at all so I wouldn't know how they rate in that respect.  A good friend of mine is a serious runner and he swears by New Balance.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Friday, May 30, 2008, 04:42:02 PM »
I have the Nike+ armband already, but do you really need a Nike+ shoe?  I saw the little pedometer remote and it's like a thin ellipse.  I was thinking you could stick it in your regular shoe someplace without too much of a problem.

Oh, you totally could.  Worst case scenario is you're doing a tiny bit of carving.  That's probably what I'd end up doing if I got into the Nike+ system (I basically only run on a track right now, so don't really have a need for a pedometer), unless the Air Pegasus+ are as good as the old old ones were for roughly the same price range.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Friday, May 30, 2008, 09:15:27 PM »
Found the shoes I paid $210 for.  Incredible what you do when almost all of your income is disposable...

The soles on mine were a little different though.  There was like a white mesh around the forward nubs.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, May 31, 2008, 12:29:24 PM »
BTW, what do you consider "very cheap" and "very expensive."  I want to get your perspective because I know you're a runner, at least according to one of your former Facebook images.

"Cheap" being around $60 for the pair, and expensive being upwards of $250.  For example I went through 2 pairs of $60 New Balance shoes in 4 and a half months at the Border Patrol academy, but we were running anywhere from 3-7 miles per day.  A good rule of thumb for Running shoes is that they last around 300 miles.  The shoes won't necessarily look worn out, but the shock absorption will stop working as well as it should.  Personally, I start to feel it in my shins and right knee when my shoes are starting to wear out.

Are you heavily framed?  If so, there is a great pair of Nike's out there, a few of the bigger guys I know who are runners swear by them, I'd have to make a phone call to find out what model they are though.

The other factor to consider is if you have any significant roll of the foot either way after landing:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-425-0,00.html

If you've never done much running, I suggest trying out a pair of cheap Newbalance running shoes (make sure they're actually running shoes, not cross trainers.  This makes a huge difference) and go from there.  If you start getting shin splints, or if your joints start hurting go from there.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, May 31, 2008, 07:57:17 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice.

I've been using some New Balances for running, but I don't really know if they are running shoes or not. I've felt fine in them so far, but that's not saying much, considering some of the shoes that I've exercised in before.

I'm finding it even harder to keep up now that I'm working even more and I'm bloody tired when I get home. Drinking a beer and watching the Braves game is so much better than running a few miles.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, May 31, 2008, 08:46:50 PM »
Pssssst.....ephedrine + caffeine.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, June 04, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »
oh wow.. the best running shoes i had were nikes... having new shoes is good motivation to keep going.
Taken.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: Monday, June 09, 2008, 10:46:56 AM »
Thanks for all the great advice.

I've been using some New Balances for running, but I don't really know if they are running shoes or not. I've felt fine in them so far, but that's not saying much, considering some of the shoes that I've exercised in before.

I'm finding it even harder to keep up now that I'm working even more and I'm bloody tired when I get home. Drinking a beer and watching the Braves game is so much better than running a few miles.

Exercise is really important but it shouldn't be a chore either. If you can't motivate yourself to go to a gym but want to keep active, find another way. Playing soccer for an hour is way more tiring than running on a treadmill for a few miles and way more fun too. Then after the game you all celebrate, drink beer and watch the Braves game.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 09:07:08 PM »
getting into shape.. rotund.. is fun
Taken.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 10:24:29 PM »
Exercise is really important but it shouldn't be a chore either. If you can't motivate yourself to go to a gym but want to keep active, find another way. Playing soccer for an hour is way more tiring than running on a treadmill for a few miles and way more fun too. Then after the game you all celebrate, drink beer and watch the Braves game.

....MLB? Soccer?  Come on now, why don't you use a real sport as an example?

Actually, pickup soccer can be pretty fun with rush goalies.  Organized soccer is just pure lame though.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 10:28:56 PM »
I played soccer once where everyone carried around one of those big foam bats to beat each other with. That was fun.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, June 11, 2008, 10:45:40 PM »
All lame.  The only real sport is full contact golf.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 09:49:16 AM »

....MLB? Soccer?  Come on now, why don't you use a real sport as an example?

Actually, pickup soccer can be pretty fun with rush goalies.  Organized soccer is just pure lame though.

I said Braves cuz ghandi used it in his post. I had no idea it meant Baseball. If I had known, I would've called him on it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 08:30:38 PM »
Oh...ok.

Pssssst.....ephederine and caffiene.  Maybe some aspirin as well if you're into that kind of stuff.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 10:28:04 PM »
I said Braves cuz ghandi used it in his post. I had no idea it meant Baseball. If I had known, I would've called him on it.

Wait - what sports do you guys play up there? You have hockey but if I remember correctly, you couldn't even win the cup this year. Or should I not have called you out on that?

:)

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 10:38:20 PM »
Real Canadians play lacrosse.

A better way to make fun of me is to point out how England didn't make it into Euro

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, June 12, 2008, 10:45:13 PM »
I have no clue what that last sentence means. Soccer? I hope not. As respectable as hockey is, it's already been pointed out in the thread once how shitty soccer is.

Also, why are you rooting for England?

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: Friday, June 13, 2008, 08:43:18 AM »
I lived there for the first six years of my life and have gone back many times since then. It's the only country in Europe I have any tie to so of course I'd vote for them. They didn't make it into Euro2008 though so now I don't know what to do.

Your opinion on soccer is pretty much null and void simply because you're American and don't know what the fuck

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #29 on: Friday, June 13, 2008, 09:46:58 AM »
Soccer is kind of like Nascar - people just go around in circles and nothing ever happens.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: Friday, June 13, 2008, 01:50:23 PM »
Running around in a circle (diamond) with minimal events is exactly baseball

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: Friday, June 13, 2008, 03:34:33 PM »
The best exercise I ever got out of a team sport came from soccer.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #32 on: Friday, June 13, 2008, 04:46:41 PM »
Ice hockey is by far the most grueling sport I ever played.  Soccer at the halfback position is a close second.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Friday, June 13, 2008, 06:23:35 PM »
I loved soccer when I was younger, and would still play if I had any athletic aspirations of any kind.  It's a sport I very much enjoy, but I just don't have the time to follow sports.  If there was one I was going to follow, though, that would probably be it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: Friday, June 13, 2008, 07:22:38 PM »
It is decided. The next OW meet will be a soccer tournament.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #35 on: Friday, June 13, 2008, 09:19:04 PM »
Running around in a circle (diamond) with minimal events is exactly baseball

Yeah but baseball is supposed to be that way. I mean, soccer fans are freaking crazy, and they act like it's the most exciting sport ever when nothing happens. At least in baseball the fans are just sitting back having a beer and chilling out.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Friday, June 13, 2008, 11:23:18 PM »
Real Canadians play lacrosse.

A better way to make fun of me is to point out how England didn't make it into Euro

If by "Real Canadians" you mean red indians, then yes you are correct.  If by "Real Canadians" you mean people of any other backround with more than a grade 6 education than I'm going to have to disagree.  I'll admit that I've never played the game, but the only people who do play it around here are stupid, poor, or indians. I'm not even exaggerating.

And no one can really deny soccer can be one of the more physically demanding sports*, I'd just argue that it's boring as hell to play in an organized setting compaired to pretty much every other sport I've played (except baseball...I dropped that boring motherfucking game fast).

*Physically demanding regarding endurance.  Other than that, it's hard to say.  I played at a very competitive level until I was like 16 or 17, but I still don't think my most tiring soccer game ever really even came close to my least tiring rugby game in the whole wobbly legs, I think I might die post game feeling.  Most of that is just from the higher levels of stress involved in rugby when a ruck forms around you and you expect to get cleated every time.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, June 14, 2008, 12:30:10 AM »
I've played years of competitive soccer and the most fun I've had is playing indoor. It's like combining soccer and hockey. The field is about the size of a hockey rink and the nets are just slightly bigger than a hockey rink. There's a penalty box and you change on the fly, six on six. The game is super fast paced, basically doing suicides the whole game. It takes away the worst part of organized soccer, with indoor everybody is always in the play. Generally it's more physical too, though that depends on the refs. It's basically like playing a game of pick-up but even better due to the fact it's organized enough to keep everybody interested.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, June 14, 2008, 12:11:09 PM »
Lacrosse seems to be getting big in school here.  I don't know if it is a nationwide phenomenon or just Cincinnati, but my high school added a club lacrosse team while I was there more than 10 years ago (geez!) and now it's a varsity sport with lots of interest.  And I was driving by a YMCA the other day and saw two lacrosse games going on with youngish kids.

As far as soccer goes, I've played both indoor and outdoor and I liked outdoor a lot more.  It might have been because most of the outdoor teams I played on were awesome.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, June 14, 2008, 04:54:50 PM »
I've played years of competitive soccer and the most fun I've had is playing indoor. It's like combining soccer and hockey. The field is about the size of a hockey rink and the nets are just slightly bigger than a hockey rink. There's a penalty box and you change on the fly, six on six. The game is super fast paced, basically doing suicides the whole game. It takes away the worst part of organized soccer, with indoor everybody is always in the play. Generally it's more physical too, though that depends on the refs. It's basically like playing a game of pick-up but even better due to the fact it's organized enough to keep everybody interested.

Yeah, indoor was pretty fun although I never played it all that much.  I was thinking of joining an indoor league a few winters ago, but I think I went and got hammered and totally forgot about it until now.