Author Topic: Zero Punctuation: Oblivion  (Read 1175 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Zero Punctuation: Oblivion
« on: Thursday, June 05, 2008, 11:46:16 AM »
Har har

While I did enjoy playing Oblivion, I can't say I entirely disagree with the points he makes. He didn't even touch on some of the other major complaints people had (dungeons all feel the same, the auto-leveling world).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Zero Punctuation: Oblivion
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, June 05, 2008, 12:34:47 PM »
I didn't have as much trouble with immersion as he did.  My troubles were technical, and at times it seemed I was battling performance issues and crashes more than the game enemies.  Still, I sank over 200 hours into the PC game, only to lose it all to a hard-drive crash.  I got the 360 game, only to have it freeze on me repeatedly.  I really should try it again with my replacement console.  The DVD reader seems better behaved, not that missed reads excuses a program puking on itself.

In short, I'm not impressed with the technical prowess of the Bethesda house.  On that front, I agree with Yahzee's conclusion.  They tried too hard and overextended themselves into looking bad.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, June 05, 2008, 01:35:07 PM »
I think Shivering Isles is way more immersive than Oblivion.
Regardless, both are great, if you ask me.

Sure, they both have their drawbacks -- Oblivion is more "generic" than Shivering Isles; yet Shivering Isles is nowhere as huge as Oblivion in pure size.

I loved 'em both, myself.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, June 05, 2008, 01:44:15 PM »
I bought Oblivion and loved it for the first few hours.  After that the generic feeling of everything got to me and I totally gave up on it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, June 05, 2008, 02:00:38 PM »
I think BethSoft's expansion packs have always offered less generic experiences than their vanilla game.
See Tribunal, Bloodmoon, and Shiv Isles.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, June 05, 2008, 06:48:46 PM »
Oblivion was, sadly, a little generic when compared to past games in the series.  Morrowind had an utterly brilliant setting that was totally unique, and Oblivion was sort of a return to form of the more standard stuff from past games.  It wasn't that it was really generic... there was plenty of awesome stuff in there, it was just spread a bit too thin and there wasn't a lot of stuff that would just totally grab you up front.  A little more of the exotic feel from Morrowind would have helped.

But yes, Bethesda's big problem has always and likely will always be the technical stuff.  It can sometimes be avoided if you're in a good spot and have a system the game likes or whatever (Oblivion didn't have too many problems for me), but if you get bit by some bugs or if your system just doesn't jive with the game, it can be really bad.

But yes, Shivering Isles is a much better representation of that Bethesda can do (creatively) when they try to break the mold.  I sincerely hope that TES5, whatever it will be and whenever, will take place in one of the more exotic locales that haven't yet been explored.  Black Marsh or Elsweyr would be prime, prime spots... Hammerfall wouldn't be bad, either.  Everything else would run the risk of being a little bit typical fantasy, and I think they need another shot of something different before they go back to that.

It isn't so much a problem for me because I'm totally into the fiction and stuff.  Not really even the presentation of it, which is sometimes lacking, but there's so much more to these games than you get if you just play them.  If you actually treat them as proper fiction with extremely deep roots, you get to a whole new level which makes you appreciate the rest of it a good deal more.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, June 05, 2008, 07:02:04 PM »
Don't get me wrong -- there's a good deal of unique and great stuff in Oblivion; quests and things unlike others. But, sure -- the way they make the game and as huge they make the world, they do cut corners and tend to over-use voice-over lines, character models, quests, etc etc.

Regardless, Oblivion is still amazing. It's a minor complaint, as far as I'm concerned.

And, yes -- Shiv Isles was great. That's some of the best work I think I've seen BethSoft put out. 

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Friday, June 06, 2008, 12:36:28 AM »
I think the true Oblivion experience has to involve the Shivering Isles. The contrast it adds to the Oblivion world is incredible. Simply strolling in the wilderness has a completely different feel to it.

For future Elder Scrolls games I'd be very curious to see the Summerset Isles or perhaps even Akavir!