Author Topic: Diablo 3 is here and ITS AWESOME!  (Read 120216 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Diablo 3 is announced
« Reply #280 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »
I'd be more than happy to start a side character with you that we could play whenever. I'll probably main the monk and then start another character to play with you or something.

Ugh. The game is so good. It's getting a lot better as it goes.

EDIT - Sy, add me next time you're on.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #281 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 05:00:55 PM »
Don't you assholes tempt me.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #282 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #283 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 05:28:01 PM »
I like how the next post after that is a Quick Look, Idol.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #284 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 05:41:10 PM »
NOT HELPING

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #285 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 05:44:51 PM »
NOT HELPING
Okay, I'll help Idol...

With your 56K, how many Error 37's you think you'd get? :P

EDIT:
Remember, Torchlight 2 has SP Mode, LAN Mode, and MP Mode...and is only going to be $20 upon release.
There's other ARPG's out there, as well - i.e. Titan Quest and Sacred series.

EDIT #2:
A lot of complaining again on Twitter - Error 37 & 33 are hitting again...
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 06:54:03 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #286 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 07:16:04 PM »
This might help, in case some of you D3 players are wondering if their servers are up or not...
Might even wanna bookmark it and whatnot.

Diablo 3 - Server Status Page.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #287 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 07:31:35 PM »
I'm hobbes#1580.  I added you, Que.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #288 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 07:34:17 PM »
good deal, man. I'll add you probably tomorrow, looks like I won't be home to play tonight.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #290 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 11:38:56 PM »
Que and I just had a really fun session.  I'll be around for a lot of tomorrow if anyone else wants to play!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #291 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 02:58:08 AM »
God damn it. My character is bound to the region selection. Well, that sucks.

I posted this on the D3 forums too:

I chose the Asia region since I'm in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), because geographically the U.A.E. is in Asia. Apparently, according the FAQ they're lumping the Middle East as part of Europe.

Way to go Blizzard, like people don't have a hard enough time locating us on a map, now you tell them we're part of Europe?!

There ought to be a migration option at least to rectify the ambiguity Blizzard created by burying the Region selection in the options menu rather than making it a top-tier selection e.g. as part of the login process.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #292 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 06:03:22 AM »
That's a bummer. You should start an Americas character anyway so you can play with us!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #293 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 06:14:34 AM »
That's a bummer. You should start an Americas character anyway so you can play with us!
I think I'll have a character set up in each region.

Also, it's too bad the "global stash" is not actually global.. It can only be shared by heroes you create in the same region. One more note: the friend list is also region-based!

I'll create a character in Americas region so I can at least join up with you all. Hmm, I have a Demon Hunter in Asia, a Monk in Europe.. I think I'll go Barbarian in Americas, or whatever you class you guys need to diversify our little troop.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #294 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 06:35:49 AM »
Why does the monk sound like Zangief?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #295 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 07:18:07 AM »
Why does the monk sound like Zangief?
Haha yeah he look kinda like a skinny version of him too :P Nonetheless he is badass!

I love how they made custom intros for each character class and gender.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #296 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 07:40:18 AM »
Yeah, I like that too. And I'm digging the monk.

And X, everything is region-based. Nothing transfers from region to region, not even achievements or anything.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #297 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 08:18:25 AM »
Yeah, I like that too. And I'm digging the monk.

And X, everything is region-based. Nothing transfers from region to region, not even achievements or anything.
Characters I'm willing to understand, it's the MMO way. But the friend list should be universal! It should be tied to the Battle.net account! Like Steam or Origin.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #298 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:11:28 AM »
Agreed.  Some things do transfer across characters if you are in the same region, though.  Blacksmithing skill level, for example. I'm not sure if achievements do, but I don't get too into those.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #299 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »
Everything is universal for your account within a region. So yes, achievements included. It would make no sense if not since there are a bunch of class-specific ones.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Monday, May 21, 2012, 04:00:37 PM by MysterD »

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #301 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 03:24:03 PM »
MysterD's favourite hobby
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #302 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:07:10 PM »
Hahaha!   ;D

GameFront -> Jim Sterling - Bitching About Diablo 3 Is Allowed.

Actually, that was a very succinct and deserved smack in Blizzard's face.  The guy just says what needs to be said and moves on.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #303 on: Thursday, May 17, 2012, 11:25:06 PM »
Quote from D's link:
Don’t listen to the people calling you an entitled whiner. Don’t listen to the pundits suggesting you shouldn’t complain, or that you’re an “idiot” for buying a game you wanted instead of a game they wanted you t0 buy. Last night, a chap told me he felt bad for being annoyed about the Diablo III downtime. He said it made him feel spoiled and entitled. Now, the “entitlement” argument is up for debate when you’re talking about preferences, purism, and differences of opinion. As far as I am concerned, that word has no place in a discussion about the inability to use a product that has just been purchased for a not-insignificant amount of money. It’s embarrassing enough for a real MMO, where the downtime is at least expected as part of the experience, but it’s simply not acceptable in this circumstance. Some of you will counter by saying that Diablo III is not a single-player game. Even if that’s true (it’s debatable considering co-op is still optional), here’s the thing — it isn’t an MMO either.

At the end of the day, Blizzard’s reasons and justifications don’t matter. They don’t. You can give me any number of reasons why Diablo III has to be consistently connected to the Internet. You cannot, however, give me a single solitary reason why it’s okay for paying customers to be unable to play a game they just bought. The bottom line is that loyal consumers are being given a problem that shouldn’t be theirs to deal with, and that’s all I give a shit about. That’s also why, if you are pissed off at Blizzard, you ought not feel bad about it. It’s not “entitled” to want to play Diablo III if you paid for it. You actually are entitled to that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #304 on: Friday, May 18, 2012, 11:11:33 AM »
I am in agreement.

But instead of just rehashing this by saying the same shit over and over again, I'm actually going to make a point related to my impression of the game: this is far and away the most solo-friendly Diablo of the 3 despite being the only one that forces you online. I have felt almost zero need to play with others. Not because that isn't fun, and I'll probably do a lot more of that when I've been through it once, but I almost feel like I'm missing out when playing with others because I don't get to use the followers.

Why? Because I like them! They're so much more than the followers in D2 were. They talk to you, they talk to others who might be in your party, and new dialogue options open up for them as you play, revealing some of their personal history. I haven't really used the Scoundrel yet, but the Templar and Enchantress are both great. They level up, and I believe at 10, 15, and 20 you get to choose skills for them to use, then at 18 you open up a new equipment slot for a special item type only they can use. Otherwise, you can equip them with weapons, rings, and an amulet.

You only get one at a time, but the fact that you can tailor them to what your own character is doing is fun, and being able to upgrade them as you go makes them another piece of that loot-grabbing/leveling fun.

So yeah, the great irony of this whole situation is that I think Diablo 3 is a great single-player game, far more so than the other two. Even if the story itself isn't so robust, some of the things that are in there have some depth to them, and the storytelling is wonderful. It's all about presentation.

So: I'm on Act 2 now, a short ways in, and the game is just phenomenal. I think I really wanted to hate this game because of all the aggravating bullshit it's saddled with, but I can't. I will never stop calling that bullshit what it is, but the game is too good for me to care. And that's saying a lot.

The art style works. I've mentioned this already, but it bears repeating because of how much I disliked what was shown prior to launch. There are bits that look a little bit like WoW-lite, but mostly it has a more painterly look to it, and the parts that seem a little too cartoony are usually offset by the obscene amount of violence.

No, seriously. This game is violent and gory. Not like Diablo as a franchise has ever been known for being cheery and filled with fluffiness, but this takes it to a new level. The physics are a big part of that, so bodies fly around with suitable gusto, guys explode in bubbles of blood, and the occasional dismemberment and decapitation are just gleefully terrible. Also: baskets of severed heads you can punch clear across the screen. And it isn't just the outright active violence, it's the environments. There is an obscene amount of gore. I guess they figured that a cult hellbent on using people as fodder for new undead don't fuck around, so there is more than a little evidence of their gruesome doings.

I'm not quite sure what I expected, but this level of violence definitely wasn't it. And that's a good thing. The rainbow that got everyone all worked up is still there, and I have to admit it still seems sort of out of place, but that's not at all indicative of the game. There are some attractive environments, and so far it doesn't feel as dark as D2 on the whole, but I think the tone is about right.

Act 2 has opened up "the east", so we're back to Lut Gholein except... not. And man is it cool. The town area has tons of personality, the sands are nice-looking, and some of the underground areas there are gorgeous and unique.

I'm enjoying the way character development works. It's a solid system that allows for a lot of playing around, but there's one issue.

So the way it works by default is you have categories. For my monk, these are: Primary, Techniques, Defensive, Focus, and Mantras. As you level up, you unlock new abilities in each category, and you get to pick one from each. However, if in the options menu you check a box at the end of a list that simply says "Elective Mode", you get to not only reorder things on the menu bar, you also get to choose as many skills as you want from each category. So you can have one primary, 3 techniques, and a mantra, foregoing two categories altogether.

The problem? Nobody tells you about it. I mean, this is the way to play the game, but it's just a checkbox, and Blizzard doesn't tell you anything about it. Even the description just says "Enable full customization of skill selection and placement on the action bar," which really doesn't suggest how important it is to turn this bastard on. They've stated that they wanted the game to stay really accessible, and certainly simplify things to just picking one skill from each category does that (and you still get plenty of customization because of the rune system, which grants you a single bonus out of a number of bonuses that you unlock for each individual skill), but it's not even a fifteenth as powerful as the full customization allows. And I had to find out from GiantBomb's Quick Look, which I might not even have watched!

So now my monk does the following:

Spend spirit to dash into the fray, spend spirit to grab enemies within 24 yards to me in a circle, spend spirit to palm and bleed one of them, then attack until that enemy dies while still bleeding, which causes him to explode, damaging all other enemies in the area. And this wouldn't be possible without Elective Mode, as Exploding Palm and Dashing Strike are both in the Technique category. You could also have two primary attacks active if you wanted, which would give you some versatility. For the monk, those are attacks that build spirit, which you spend like mana and then regain again by using your primary "free" skills. But those skills do different things. One is long and with a certain rune spreads out wide, so you can hit tons of enemies at once. Another will slow and reduce the attack speed of enemies in a circle around you.

Anyway, so there's a crapload of info for anyone curious. I'm in love with the game.

Haha... and the funny thing? I started this post this morning, like... hours ago. I went to check something, ran through a couple of enemies really quick, and here it is after 1:00 PM. Oops.

*ahem*

EDIT - Typos.

EDIT x2 - Just a couple notes.

Firstly, interesting article from Eurogamer about the things Battle.net isn't doing wrong with D3.

Also, I have not once looked at the in-game gold auction house. The cash AH isn't live yet and clearly there is no pressure to use it. I'm tempted to at least partly believe them when they said they just wanted to keep people from doing dangerous trades outside of their control. I'm sure they want the money too, obviously, but that may truly have been where the idea came from. It's there if you want it, but they don't put it in your face at all. It's no integrated into the main game at all, you get to it through a menu. There's not even an in-world thing to click on or anything So that's good.

Also, having to repeat progress after a disconnect... it's just how it works when you log, and it isn't a big deal. Checkpoints are frequent, and the game is built on repetition. Period, whenever you quit the game, even intentionally, everything resets. You'll be able to re-explore any areas previously completed. They'll automatically have been wiped, reset, and re-randomized. So if you quit before hitting a checkpoint, you'll have to redo some stuff. If you find a warp, you can use that from town to warp right back, but the area will still be reloaded. This isn't a problem. The game moves quickly and you'll never be like, "Oh noes, I have to awesomely kill more enemies and get more loot." I doubt this will ever be changed.
« Last Edit: Friday, May 18, 2012, 11:47:57 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #305 on: Friday, May 18, 2012, 12:13:03 PM »
So far from what I have gathered, your first play through is pretty easy since it's your first exposure to all your class abilities. I was worried the game was too easy but I was finally overwhelmed and finished off for the first time, then again killed a few more times. At that point it becomes more apparent to utilize your abilities for optimal damage. Stats become more apparent and elective mode should become more of an option as your abilities are more abundant. My brother has already finished the game on nightmare and has gone a little ways into the Hell difficult, its really fucking hard.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #306 on: Friday, May 18, 2012, 12:18:44 PM »
Glad to hear you like the game. I had no idea about this Elective Mode. I'll have to check into it when I get the game.

One thing I was wondering about is how the ability to change skills at any moment would affect your attachment to the character. In the previous games you obviously couldn't go back and change what you spent skill points on so you constantly had to make a decision that would affect how you played the game. In the end the character felt very unique, very personal to you. Do you guys find you get the same attachment to the character with the new system?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #307 on: Friday, May 18, 2012, 12:26:46 PM »
I find it hard to change abilities because I'm attached to them. But I don't lose any attachment to the character if I do. You've still earned all those skills, they don't come right away. Plus you've got your gear, your progress, your followers you've probably upgraded. I don't think it cheapens anything. If just gives you a chance to change things up if you feel you need to, or even if you just get bored, or if you find gear that may make a certain build more suitable. I think it works.

As far as difficulty... I had a couple near-misses in the desert, but still haven't died. I don't know how long I've been playing. I'm about halfway through Act 2.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #308 on: Friday, May 18, 2012, 04:07:44 PM »
Normal is pretty easy until you get to the higher acts.  With friends, it is also pretty easy.  I think the real challenge is when you raise the difficulty and start replaying stuff.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #309 on: Friday, May 18, 2012, 05:52:31 PM »

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #310 on: Friday, May 18, 2012, 08:07:03 PM »
Just finished my first play-through.  I agree with almost everything Que said.  I'll do more of a write up soon, but at the moment, I'm having too much fun to stop.

Also, the servers have been perfect for me for the last few days.  Barring some random hiccups, I expect they will be solid from this point on.  WoW's servers would occasionally have issues, but rarely for more than a few hours.  Comes with the territory.  And I know this is a preliminary judgment, but I think the online aspect of it was the right call.  It is SO much different than the any other single player game in how easily you can connect with your friends.  The game seriously feels very MMO like despite the fact that it isn't.  And ultimately, it's always the community aspects of a multiplayer game that keep it going, and this game makes community integration natural and easy.

In short, I'm going to be playing this for at least the summer.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #311 on: Saturday, May 19, 2012, 04:06:12 AM »
I just dinged 30 and loving the game thus far. I funny observation though.. There are like like hallways in the game where you have to run through avoiding traps like a giant cleaver or fire. So far on normal, these "traps" do jack shit for damage. I just stood in a fire a few minutes ago and it didn't do any damage. Is this actually a challenge in harder modes?
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #312 on: Saturday, May 19, 2012, 04:25:48 AM »
Additionally, this new "wall" power that some mobs have is the most annoying thing.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #313 on: Saturday, May 19, 2012, 05:05:54 AM »
Get up early with the baby. Get her fed and changed. Finally get her back to sleep. WOO Diablo time! NOPE! SERVER MAINTENANCE!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #314 on: Saturday, May 19, 2012, 11:58:07 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #317 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 05:45:13 AM »
But by repetitively posting 'Beating a Dead Horse' jokes, are you, yourself, not doing what you are mocking him for?

You are a dead dead horse beater.

And you are Asian.

I am disgusted.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #318 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 06:48:18 AM »
So yeah I'm basically in love with the game.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
Re: Diablo 3 is here and ITS AWESOME, fuck you naysayers!
« Reply #319 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 09:21:25 AM »
Servers have been bulletproof since about the end of the 2nd day.
Suck it, Pugnate.