Author Topic: Diablo 3 is here and ITS AWESOME!  (Read 120217 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Diablo 3 is here and ITS AWESOME, fuck you naysayers!
« Reply #320 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 09:24:50 AM »
Yeah, I've not had any connection issues at all past day 1. Which is no excuse for what it is, but at least we can say that it does do what it's supposed to at this point.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #321 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 10:20:02 AM »
I've actually had some server disconnects.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #322 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 11:24:51 AM »
PlayAsia is yet to ship my copy. It seems like I won't join you guys for at least 25 days, it seems. :(

I could cancel my order and just buy the digital version. How good is the retail box? I really want it. Is it nice, or is it just a crappy modern day box.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #323 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 01:11:21 PM »
Retail box is better than most modern boxes. The box itself is nice and has a little raised lettering along with a fold out on the front. There are some nicely printed guest passes inside for both D3 and WoW along with a manual far shorter than the old school Blizzard ones. It's full color, but the printing looks like it came off a color copier.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #324 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 01:24:02 PM »
Servers have been bulletproof since about the end of the 2nd day.
Not really.. The Asia server has been on and off frequently. In the last 3 days I've only been able to log in twice.. Once for about 20 minutes before I was kicked, and the second time was tonight, finally playing normally.

I have no doubt they will settle eventually. Given Blizzard's history they do inevitably deliver top-notch quality products and services.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #325 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 03:18:24 PM »
Forbes -> Some Blizz accounts are losing items - people reporting missing gold, items, etc.
Might wanna go check your accounts, guys...
Possibly a bug or might've gotten hacked....

EDIT:
Blizzard is at work on the matter.
Hey guys,

We are very aware of these reports and are taking them very seriously. Please keep an eye on the General Discussion forums as Community members will be posting something soon.

If you have been hacked, please contact Customer Service as soon as you can. In addition, using an Authenticator can help secure your account even more.

« Last Edit: Monday, May 21, 2012, 04:15:05 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #326 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 04:45:07 PM »
Well that's just great. What was supposed to make the game cheat-free (right, sure) has, less than a full week later, actually been responsible for people's games being ruined. Way to go, Bliz. Don't say thousands of us didn't tell you how full of shit you were.

Now granted, this could have happened to anyone playing online, but if you've been playing entirely singleplayer (which I basically have, barring one short jaunt with shock and a couple short sessions with Sy), this wouldn't have been an issue for you. So it sucks for anyone who hasn't been really getting out there and being social or doesn't want to. They're saddled with this potential awfulness without reaping any reward for it.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #327 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 04:50:59 PM »
Using an authenticator is hard.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #329 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 05:04:37 PM »
For those who can't be bothered to read the article before making snarky comments:

“One theory suggested by players on the Battle.net forum revolves around hijacking session identifiers, which would allow hackers to take over accounts without alerting Blizzard’s authentication server. Again, this remains unconfirmed.”

Whatever the case, Blizzard authenticators don’t seem to be working properly, allowing hackers to bypass the system entirely.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #330 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 05:35:20 PM »
I just won a Starter Edition [Guest Pass] code, since Chris Watters [of GameSpot] just put one up on his Twitter...
NICE!
Now, I can see what all the hub-bub is about...
« Last Edit: Monday, May 21, 2012, 06:18:44 PM by MysterD »

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #331 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 07:27:23 PM »
For those who can't be bothered to read the article before making snarky comments:

“One theory suggested by players on the Battle.net forum revolves around hijacking session identifiers, which would allow hackers to take over accounts without alerting Blizzard’s authentication server. Again, this remains unconfirmed.”

Whatever the case, Blizzard authenticators don’t seem to be working properly, allowing hackers to bypass the system entirely.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #332 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 07:43:27 PM »
See, normally I wouldn't be so snarky but I have one small axe to grind here. For literally years, some people on these forums have complained about Diablo 3. From the artwork, to the online only, to the RELEASE DAY BUGS all I hear on these forums aside from a few people is bitching, bitching bitching. Look at what was written just a few posts down "Don't say thousands of us didn't tell you how full of shit you were.". Go back a few pages on this thread and yes, theres a giant argument over this game.

For years, just bitch, bitch bitch... Then the game is finally released. And what does some people do?

They buy the fucking game

at least SOME OTHER people who have been bitching for as long have stuck to their principles and just post any miniscule thing that goes wrong ON THE DAY THE GAME LAUNCHES. Least those people didn't buy the game they've spent years complaining about. So awesome job MysterD. You may bring up super petty issues to assuage your dislike for the game but at least you stuck to your guns. Which is something I can't say for some people around here.

anyways, i think i need a break from this place.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #333 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 07:51:41 PM »
angrykeebler

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #334 on: Monday, May 21, 2012, 09:27:48 PM »
Finished the First Act - which is what the Guest Pass takes you up to. Took somewhere around 2-3 hour ballpark.

Damn, I am really saddened that this game is attached to the hip w/ the "always online" DRM. Since you can go right ahead solo w/ this game no problem [which is what I did], this game just doesn't really deserve to be stuck w/ that "always online" DRM. Asking for a one-time online activation per PC is one thing, but this is another monster entirely.

I did experience lag a bit during transitions and had been knocked-off their servers once. Thankfully, right before I got knocked-off, I just finished a quest, got back to town, and...wasn't doing much. I did make 2 training purchases boosts to an Artisan, then got kicked-off. So, had to re-do the 2 Artisan boost purchases. Oh, and I had to re-do a conversation  - but, yeah...you can skip through conversations at your own will, anyways, thankfully. Annoying, yes. It could've hit me at a worse time, though...A LOT worse....

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Diablo 3 is here and ITS AWESOME!
« Reply #335 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 01:47:08 AM »
Retail box is better than most modern boxes. The box itself is nice and has a little raised lettering along with a fold out on the front. There are some nicely printed guest passes inside for both D3 and WoW along with a manual far shorter than the old school Blizzard ones. It's full color, but the printing looks like it came off a color copier.

Thanks bud. I am just going to wait and live through you people in this thread. ;)

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #336 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 06:25:15 AM »
I do get somewhat annoyed when I see a lot of complaining.  Yes, some things suck.  Yes, random bad things will happen to random people when all data is served on Blizz servers.  Yes, people get randomly disconnected.  That said, this really is a fantastic game, and I don't want the opinions of a few to overwhelm that fact.  I have had absolutely 0 problems since the 2nd day after launch.  I've never been disconnected, never lost an item, never been hacked.  Almost everyone on the America servers I have talked to has said the same thing.  Hackings or server issues happened in WoW, too.  There, Blizz fixed it all within a day or two, which is pretty damn impressive.  I don't expect this game to be any different.

This game is REALLY meant to be played online.  Whenever I get online, I see what friends are on and what levels their characters are.  I'll always jump into a game with someone.  If not that, then I join a public game.  It's so much more fun with people.  And you get more gold, more experience, and better loot.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #337 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 06:34:39 AM »
See, normally I wouldn't be so snarky but I have one small axe to grind here. For literally years, some people on these forums have complained about Diablo 3. From the artwork, to the online only, to the RELEASE DAY BUGS all I hear on these forums aside from a few people is bitching, bitching bitching. Look at what was written just a few posts down "Don't say thousands of us didn't tell you how full of shit you were.". Go back a few pages on this thread and yes, theres a giant argument over this game.

For years, just bitch, bitch bitch... Then the game is finally released. And what does some people do?

They buy the fucking game

at least SOME OTHER people who have been bitching for as long have stuck to their principles and just post any miniscule thing that goes wrong ON THE DAY THE GAME LAUNCHES. Least those people didn't buy the game they've spent years complaining about. So awesome job MysterD. You may bring up super petty issues to assuage your dislike for the game but at least you stuck to your guns. Which is something I can't say for some people around here.

anyways, i think i need a break from this place.
I received it as a gift.. Does that count?

Also, look back through the threads and posts, you'll see no complaints from me about the art style. My complaints/bitching have been strictly reserved to online-DRM and regional stuff. In fact that applies to all games not just Diablo 3. That's something I'll always bitch about though. Regional restrictions are gradually becoming redundant.

Hail Kobreebler!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #338 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 07:10:48 AM »
I've had game disconnects pretty regularly since I got the game.  And last night I experienced significant lag for about 15 minutes after starting my game.  It's pretty terrible.  And it's markedly similar to how bnet ran with Diablo 2 back in its heyday.  Of course I have no reason to think that most of it won't get ironed out eventually. 

The bottom line is that whenever I get real pissed off about the disconnects or lag, I have to remind myself that I played a true SP character in D2 for all of five minutes.  The game just isn't the same offline.  Now I certainly feel like there should have been an offline mode included for those that wanted it, but I'd never use it.  And I wish Blizz would just come out and say "we did this because we want more control" instead of bullshit about the "user experience" and all that.  They want to centralize their product and control how it gets to you.  Hands down.  If they could retrofit WC3, D2, etc they would.  In fact they sort of have, what with being able to register your keys directly with Blizzard.

But in the end, it's a game.  A damn good game, actually.  One that people like me have been waiting years for.  Do I agree with certain decisions and practices? No.  Do they affect me personally?  Not really.  If they were a big enough deal to me I wouldn't have bought it.  I'd guess that most all of you are willingly giving your money to some other company that's treating you way worse right now, myself included. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #339 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 07:47:32 AM »
I can't think of any. Other than maybe my cell phone company.

Also:

If you don't want to hear people voice complaints about a product they've bought, I don't know what to tell you. Why don't you just not read the stuff that apparently pisses you off so much? Which I can't for the life of me figure out why. You don't work for Blizzard. What, do you own stock or something? I explained in detail everything that's gone on with me in terms of reactions to Diablo 3 from the beginning, including my eventual purchase of the game and my mixed response to it, and I've got as much right to complain or discuss ongoing issues as anyone. Even though I haven't done all that much complaining since purchase. My point with this last thing is simply that forcing people online forces them into issues like this, and seeing as almost every single major company has had security breaches and such these days, being forced into that for a game you never intend to play with anyone is pretty shitty. It leaves you no option to avoid that risk. I don't see that as a step forward.

I've had my bnet account hacked twice now, and there are several Wow characters on my account that aren't mine. I think 3 of them. I don't know how long someone was using it while I wasn't. It was eventually caught, but at least one of the characters was 60. I don't recall ever seeing a charge on my credit card, but clearly this shit isn't fireproof.

And I totally disagree with shock. I mean, not to say that this isn't fun with others, because it is. I've enjoyed playing with folks. But I've not really had any more or less fun based on whether I was playing with friends or followers. In fact, I love the side characters in this game, and the god-awful stupid plot is more or less saved because of them. The big twist in Act 3 is just stupid and poorly handled, but it actually ends up seeming halfway okay because of all the context the smaller characters give it. The main plot really hasn't done much for me at all, but the carrot-on-a-stick progression of the followers has done a great deal to make up for that. I like their stories, and they're gradually revealed as you play. That's pretty cool.

But yeah, I find there to be a couple glaring issues with the way the online stuff works now. Firstly, anyone can join your game at any time. I don't know if setting "busy" changes that or if there are hidden settings somewhere, but I haven't seen any. Secondly, you can't hide your online status. If you want to play but don't want anyone to know you're on, too bad. You can set busy or away, but that's not the same. And while it's cool that you can remain open to your buddies if they want to hop on and play with you, you can't be selective about it. So if you don't want to play with someone who moves really slow and explores every nook and cranny, he might join your game anyway. Or if you want to stop and smell the roses, take your time and pick up every last item, your friends who are career players and are jamming through the game can join up and more or less take over the pace of the game. Or if someone decides they want to sit in town and do nothing, like join your game and then "oh shit, brb" for twenty minutes, you're stuck with enemies that might be too tough for you to fight on your own, but you won't even be able to take a follower with you because you're in a party.

So yeah, there are problems. I see the advantages of the online system, but I don't think it's remotely perfect, or even as good as most people seem to think. And most people have been reporting that the AH totally breaks the game and ruins most of the fun in terms of the addictiveness of finding loot. I'm glad I haven't touched it. I've heard almost nothing but complaints about it so far because apparently you can get awesome stuff for way cheaper than it seems like it should be. I haven't tried it myself, but I can see that being a big problem. Which again makes me very happy that Blizzard made it so easy to ignore. I think that was a great decision.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #340 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 01:43:06 PM »
I can't think of any. Other than maybe my cell phone company.

Also:

If you don't want to hear people voice complaints about a product they've bought, I don't know what to tell you. Why don't you just not read the stuff that apparently pisses you off so much? Which I can't for the life of me figure out why. You don't work for Blizzard. What, do you own stock or something? I explained in detail everything that's gone on with me in terms of reactions to Diablo 3 from the beginning, including my eventual purchase of the game and my mixed response to it, and I've got as much right to complain or discuss ongoing issues as anyone. Even though I haven't done all that much complaining since purchase. My point with this last thing is simply that forcing people online forces them into issues like this, and seeing as almost every single major company has had security breaches and such these days, being forced into that for a game you never intend to play with anyone is pretty shitty. It leaves you no option to avoid that risk. I don't see that as a step forward.

I've had my bnet account hacked twice now, and there are several Wow characters on my account that aren't mine. I think 3 of them. I don't know how long someone was using it while I wasn't. It was eventually caught, but at least one of the characters was 60. I don't recall ever seeing a charge on my credit card, but clearly this shit isn't fireproof.

And I totally disagree with shock. I mean, not to say that this isn't fun with others, because it is. I've enjoyed playing with folks. But I've not really had any more or less fun based on whether I was playing with friends or followers. In fact, I love the side characters in this game, and the god-awful stupid plot is more or less saved because of them. The big twist in Act 3 is just stupid and poorly handled, but it actually ends up seeming halfway okay because of all the context the smaller characters give it. The main plot really hasn't done much for me at all, but the carrot-on-a-stick progression of the followers has done a great deal to make up for that. I like their stories, and they're gradually revealed as you play. That's pretty cool.

But yeah, I find there to be a couple glaring issues with the way the online stuff works now. Firstly, anyone can join your game at any time. I don't know if setting "busy" changes that or if there are hidden settings somewhere, but I haven't seen any. Secondly, you can't hide your online status. If you want to play but don't want anyone to know you're on, too bad. You can set busy or away, but that's not the same. And while it's cool that you can remain open to your buddies if they want to hop on and play with you, you can't be selective about it. So if you don't want to play with someone who moves really slow and explores every nook and cranny, he might join your game anyway. Or if you want to stop and smell the roses, take your time and pick up every last item, your friends who are career players and are jamming through the game can join up and more or less take over the pace of the game. Or if someone decides they want to sit in town and do nothing, like join your game and then "oh shit, brb" for twenty minutes, you're stuck with enemies that might be too tough for you to fight on your own, but you won't even be able to take a follower with you because you're in a party.

So yeah, there are problems. I see the advantages of the online system, but I don't think it's remotely perfect, or even as good as most people seem to think. And most people have been reporting that the AH totally breaks the game and ruins most of the fun in terms of the addictiveness of finding loot. I'm glad I haven't touched it. I've heard almost nothing but complaints about it so far because apparently you can get awesome stuff for way cheaper than it seems like it should be. I haven't tried it myself, but I can see that being a big problem. Which again makes me very happy that Blizzard made it so easy to ignore. I think that was a great decision.

A year after WoW came out, I had to get my car fixed which cost me several hundred dollars. 5 days before I would get paid again I had about $6 in my bank account and it was the day my WoW account would get charged. I petitioned a GM and asked them if they could extend my time 5 days. Not a problem he said.

When tickets for Blizzcon 2009 when on sale I waited in the online queue to try and get tickets. I made it to the front of the queue and was trying to pay with an American Express. I tried 3 times but it kept declining the card even though there was no balance on it and it clearly said they accepted AE cards. The timer to buy tickets expired and I was expelled from the queue. The event quickly sold out and I was bummed. 3 days later I was sitting in a restaurant when I got a phone call. It was Blizzard and they saw that I tried and failed to buy tickets. They apologized for the trouble and asked if I would still like to use the card to buy up to 4 tickets.

But the best thing they ever did for me was way back when I was in 7th grade. I had an uncle who wasn't related to me by blood but was my dads best friend. I was closer to him than my own dad to be honest. He was a hero of mine. He bought my first NES when I was a kid and he also served in the Army during the first Gulf War. I have fond memories of him bringing me Saudi Coca Cola and army rations. He was awesome. He was the one who helped me convince my parents that computers weren't going away and we should get one. He would take my sister and I to the movies and Magic Mountain. He was also the first person I ever knew that died. He passed away from cancer and I was devastated.

One of my friends at school let me borrow his copy of Warcraft 2. It had been out a while but was new to me. Man, I played that game for months on end. It really helped me in a time of grief. I decided to write some fanmail to Blizzard telling them how much I liked their game and it helped me get over my uncles death. I didn't think I'd get a reply or anything but a couple months later I got a package in the mail. It was filled with Warcraft 2 swag like posters and stuff. There was also a handwritten letter saying they were glad they enjoyed the game and how sorry they were about my uncles death. It was signed "From our family to yours". At the bottom there was a hand drawn sketch of a Warcraft knight bowing his head solemnly.

So no, I don't work for them or own stock but they will have my loyalty forever. You know, the U.S government was hacked by Anonymous a few days ago and you are losing your shit because Blizz did as well? Why don't you show some anger towards, oh i dunno, THE HACKERS? I know Blizzard are responsible for our account security but anyone can be hacked. It even says in the article they are apologetic and are fixing the problem but you were still a judgemental prick about that and the launch day errors. DUDE SHIT HAPPENS. unlike a lot of other companies, at least Blizzard doesn't sit on their asses for weeks on end promising patch after patch to solve the problem. They fix their problems faster than pretty much any other game company and their customer support is the best in the business. And yeah you do have a right to complain like you've been complaining for years but that doesn't mean you aren't a giant whining douche.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #341 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 02:01:43 PM »
S'all good guys. Let's all enjoy the game!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #342 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 02:08:02 PM »
S'all good guys. Let's all enjoy the game!

You have to buy the game to enjoy it, asshole.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #343 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 02:10:45 PM »
I watch the streams! Almost the same. :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #344 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 02:52:53 PM »
I think some of you need to take up meditation and stuff. It really really helps. Take it easy. Who cares. At the age of 30+ video games shouldn't be such a huge part of our personal identity that we get entangled in arguments that lead to emotional stress.

I am so glad I am past this stuff. I thank Buddhism. :P

You have to buy the game to enjoy it, asshole.

hahah that was so random... it was like watching a movie where there is a bar fight and them some other guy just randomly punches another person.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #345 on: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 03:16:17 PM »
The event quickly sold out and I was bummed. 3 days later I was sitting in a restaurant when I got a phone call. It was Blizzard and they saw that I tried and failed to buy tickets. They apologized for the trouble and asked if I would still like to use the card to buy up to 4 tickets.

But the best thing they ever did for me was way back when I was in 7th grade. I had an uncle who wasn't related to me by blood but was my dads best friend. I was closer to him than my own dad to be honest. He was a hero of mine. He bought my first NES when I was a kid and he also served in the Army during the first Gulf War. I have fond memories of him bringing me Saudi Coca Cola and army rations. He was awesome. He was the one who helped me convince my parents that computers weren't going away and we should get one. He would take my sister and I to the movies and Magic Mountain. He was also the first person I ever knew that died. He passed away from cancer and I was devastated.

One of my friends at school let me borrow his copy of Warcraft 2. It had been out a while but was new to me. Man, I played that game for months on end. It really helped me in a time of grief. I decided to write some fanmail to Blizzard telling them how much I liked their game and it helped me get over my uncles death. I didn't think I'd get a reply or anything but a couple months later I got a package in the mail. It was filled with Warcraft 2 swag like posters and stuff. There was also a handwritten letter saying they were glad they enjoyed the game and how sorry they were about my uncles death. It was signed "From our family to yours". At the bottom there was a hand drawn sketch of a Warcraft knight bowing his head solemnly.

That is just amazing. You've never shared this with us before. Thank you. I mean it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #346 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 09:38:59 AM »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #348 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 09:13:00 PM »
A year after WoW came out, I had to get my car fixed which cost me several hundred dollars. 5 days before I would get paid again I had about $6 in my bank account and it was the day my WoW account would get charged. I petitioned a GM and asked them if they could extend my time 5 days. Not a problem he said.

When tickets for Blizzcon 2009 when on sale I waited in the online queue to try and get tickets. I made it to the front of the queue and was trying to pay with an American Express. I tried 3 times but it kept declining the card even though there was no balance on it and it clearly said they accepted AE cards. The timer to buy tickets expired and I was expelled from the queue. The event quickly sold out and I was bummed. 3 days later I was sitting in a restaurant when I got a phone call. It was Blizzard and they saw that I tried and failed to buy tickets. They apologized for the trouble and asked if I would still like to use the card to buy up to 4 tickets.

I have now forgiven Blizzard for whatever the hell pissed me off about StarCraft 2.  Anyone who treats my Keebs right is okay in my book.   I still hate Keebs though.

Maybe I should buy this game.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #349 on: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 10:57:55 PM »
I love Keebs' story.  It is very moving, and it is wholly consistent with my experiences with Blizzard.  I don't have any stories as dramatic, but all of my interactions with them have been positive.  They have always come across as caring, down-to-earth, competent, and usually quite funny. Rare traits in the industry.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #350 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012, 03:28:52 AM »
Man, that's a heartfelt story. Wish more devs were like that.

It always feels great when you feel that a company is made up of people who acknowledge that you're a person too and not just another number.

I've gotten generic "thank you" responses from some companies when I send fanmail but every once in a while I get a reply that's clearly human, that feels like it was read and appreciated.

I got a response like that from Eidos, several years back. Since I was a huge Tomb Raider fan, I sent them a letter just expressing the sheer joy I got from the games and how they have affected my life and education (apparently polygonal boobs + archaeology = study NOW!). Anyway, they sent me a copy of Tomb Raider The Last Revelation along with some swag (pewter figurine, posters, etc.). I thought that was pretty cool of them and they won me over (well, teenage me).

Keebler, I feel for ya man. That experience explains your devotion to Blizzard. I would be a dedicated fan too.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #351 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012, 05:28:25 AM »
6.3 million sold so far.
Fastest selling PC game of all time [so far].

EDIT:
G4TV -> Feedback - Diablo 3 round-table discussion on DRM, the game itself, etc etc.

You don't have to say so far dude, when you say all time.

In spite of all the problems, I am really happy to see something like this happen for PC gaming. The Day 1 issues make sense now. I guess, even Blizzard wasn't prepared.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #352 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012, 04:38:01 PM »
In spite of all the problems, I am really happy to see something like this happen for PC gaming. The Day 1 issues make sense now. I guess, even Blizzard wasn't prepared.
Agreed - about being glad to see an exclusive PC game [at least for now, anyways] sell so well. That's just great. :D

The only real problem that I see w/ D3 selling that many copies - especially at full-price - is that many more dev's and publishers might think the message is that it is okay to go ahead to shoehorn any sort of SP-style campaigns w/ that  "always online" requirement, since Blizzard just did it and sold a record of over 6 million copies.

Patching in a "SP offline mode" would go a long way in making me think twice about this game, at its current price...

Of course, having a "SP offline mode" in the first place probably would've alleviated a lot of the gamers' issues, in the first place. Probably would've caused less people to even try to play online, in the 1st place - and keep those online players numbers down [since BNet wouldn't be forced]. If they [the player(s)] couldn't connect to BNet for any reason, at least they could play the game alone that they paid good $ for...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #353 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012, 11:14:04 PM »
Okay, I totally haven't been looking into this at all, so it might be a stupid question, but is there no SP mode at all (like you have to be online completely while playing) or do you just sign in and authenticate and then can play offline?

Because I share a house with 2 other dudes - wireless N router is on the third floor, my room with Wireless G card in the basement suite.  I'll sometimes lose connection for 30 seconds to a minute and it can be a bitch with games like BF3 and such.

You know, in case  I ever cave and think about buying this.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #354 on: Thursday, May 24, 2012, 11:55:34 PM »
Okay, I totally haven't been looking into this at all, so it might be a stupid question, but is there no SP mode at all (like you have to be online completely while playing) or do you just sign in and authenticate and then can play offline?

Because I share a house with 2 other dudes - wireless N router is on the third floor, my room with Wireless G card in the basement suite.  I'll sometimes lose connection for 30 seconds to a minute and it can be a bitch with games like BF3 and such.

You know, in case  I ever cave and think about buying this.
You need to have a constant internet connection at all times. You sign in and stay in to play. The singlelpayer is basically like playing an MMO on your own. Assuming the servers are not busy and there are enough available slots, you can play but you may suffer lag and at any given time you may get kicked out for disconnection or server maintenance (which you'll get a heads-up warning for).

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #355 on: Friday, May 25, 2012, 12:12:02 AM »
Is lag bad in this type of game?  And would I lose progress if I lost the connection?  Because that would happen exactly once and I'd never play the game again (and make posts about how Diablo 3 pissed me off and I hate Blizzard but can't remember why when the next Starcraft game came out).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #356 on: Friday, May 25, 2012, 12:40:32 AM »
Is lag bad in this type of game?  And would I lose progress if I lost the connection?  Because that would happen exactly once and I'd never play the game again (and make posts about how Diablo 3 pissed me off and I hate Blizzard but can't remember why when the next Starcraft game came out).
Had several instances where I died because of lag. It's not turn-based, t's real-time action so lag could be an issue if you're up against a mob.

If you get disconnected logging back in takes you back to the last checkpoint. Fair enough, only problem is checkpoints are unevenly distributed and unless you're doing a main quest they're few and far between. Apparently using a town portal doesn't count as a checkpoint, which would have made sense since you can only town portal if you're not being attacked.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #357 on: Saturday, May 26, 2012, 07:21:10 PM »

I have now forgiven Blizzard for whatever the hell pissed me off about StarCraft 2.  Anyone who treats my Keebs right is okay in my book.   I still hate Keebs though.

Maybe I should buy this game.

I remember what pissed you off about SC2!

THE FACT THAT YOU WERE TERRIBLE AT IT
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #358 on: Monday, May 28, 2012, 09:14:25 PM »
BNet -> Diablo III - Game Design Update.
LONG post about stats so far on players; upcoming patches planned & some details on what they will be changing; some of their thoughts on difficulty levels; some thoughts on game design; etc etc.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #359 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2012, 08:51:34 AM »
Nice stuff.