Author Topic: Diablo 3 is here and ITS AWESOME!  (Read 120224 times)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
Re: Diablo 3 is here and ITS AWESOME!
« Reply #361 on: Friday, June 01, 2012, 04:12:04 AM »
Huh.

Korea: We take our video games super serious.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #362 on: Friday, June 01, 2012, 04:53:37 AM »
I heard Que lead the raids. :P

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #363 on: Friday, June 01, 2012, 08:02:39 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #364 on: Friday, June 01, 2012, 02:46:22 PM »
What are the odds that would ever happen in America?  I'd say a snowball has a better chance in Diablo's final act.

Probably not gonna happen, unless enough people complain or some lawsuits get thrown around. There's petitions going around...one of them had like 25,000 signatures for wanting a D3 SP offline patch!

Really though, if Blizz implemented offline SP [like D1 and D2], this would problem is not an issue. Yeah, it'd suck you might or might not be able to hit BNet to play online, but all Blizz could say is, "Play the SP offline portion and keep checking BNet to see if the MP portion is up." You know some people just will stick w/going for the SP portion period and not even care about MP. I'm sure that would help Blizz out quite a bit, too - it'd lower the number of people playing on BNet at once and lighten that load.

All people really want to do is at least be able to play their game they dropped $60 for, in some shape or form.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #365 on: Friday, June 01, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »
Probably not gonna happen, unless enough people complain or some lawsuits get thrown around. There's petitions going around...one of them had like 25,000 signatures for wanting a D3 SP offline patch!

Really though, if Blizz implemented offline SP [like D1 and D2], this would problem is not an issue. Yeah, it'd suck you might or might not be able to hit BNet to play online, but all Blizz could say is, "Play the SP offline portion and keep checking BNet to see if the MP portion is up." You know some people just will stick w/going for the SP portion period and not even care about MP. I'm sure that would help Blizz out quite a bit, too - it'd lower the number of people playing on BNet at once and lighten that load.

All people really want to do is at least be able to play their game they dropped $60 for, in some shape or form.

You really need to shut the fuck up about this. Here it is- people who purchased Diablo 3 KNEW FULL WELL that it was battle.net only. They were what they were signing up for. Everyone knew that the launch of possibly the most eagerly awaited PC game of all time would be a little rocky. If they didn't want that they should have just REFRAINED FROM PURCHASING THE GAME. DON'T FUCKING BUY IT. HOW HARD IS THAT?!?!?!

DON'T

BUY

IT

DON'T BUY IT
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #366 on: Friday, June 01, 2012, 04:00:21 PM »
You really need to shut the fuck up about this. Here it is- people who purchased Diablo 3 KNEW FULL WELL that it was battle.net only. They were what they were signing up for. Everyone knew that the launch of possibly the most eagerly awaited PC game of all time would be a little rocky. If they didn't want that they should have just REFRAINED FROM PURCHASING THE GAME. DON'T FUCKING BUY IT. HOW HARD IS THAT?!?!?!
Well, you know how well boycotts go here, these days - that's right, they basically don't. See what happened (obviously) w/ D3 and when also COD series hopped onto Steam. Yeah, gamers still didn't want to deal w/ that DRM, still bought it anyways. That's how bad they want the game.

Blizz just sold record numbers for Diablo 3. And you know what? Other companies [like EA, UbiSoft, etc] are going to look at this example - and think their games, which basically have a SP-portion and decide for it to be forced to be played always online, as well. Not everybody has this kind of bandwidth. Not everybody has a consistent Internet connection. Not everybody is a hardcore gamer like us here on OWNet and knows what DRM is, unfortunately. Not everybody reads the game-box, unfortunately. Not everybody wants to be renting their game or forced by Blizz to play when Blizz lets them.

How UbiSoft and EA get slammed for doing this nonsense of forcing SP online, yet Blizz doesn't [in actual sales numbers] - it's pretty much beyond me. People complain, yet Blizz hasn't done anything to satisfy these gamers who want SP offline mode. It's not like they're asking for anything ridiculous here. I mean - UbiSoft & EA have both often changed their "always online" DRM on numerous games whether on launch or actually a bit later, due to gamer backlash. See what happened to the next SimCity game. Other games, like Darkspore and C&C4, tanked namely b/c of their ridiculous DRM - which they really should go ahead now and change for any sort of SP-portion of the game.

Forced always online games are not the future - PC and consoles. And neither is forced cloud gaming, for that matter. As an extra option, playing online and cloud gaming are actually GREAT ideas. :D

EDIT:
You know what would be a real slap in PC gaming's face? If Blizz does port D3 to the consoles and the SP can be played OFFLINE.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #367 on: Friday, June 01, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »
Well, you know how well boycotts go here, these days - that's right, they basically don't. See what happened (obviously) w/ D3 and when also COD series hopped onto Steam. Yeah, gamers still didn't want to deal w/ that DRM, still bought it anyways. That's how bad they want the game.

Blizz just sold record numbers for Diablo 3. And you know what? Other companies [like EA, UbiSoft, etc] are going to look at this example - and think their games, which basically have a SP-portion and decide for it to be forced to be played always online, as well. Not everybody has this kind of bandwidth. Not everybody has a consistent Internet connection. Not everybody is a hardcore gamer like us here on OWNet and knows what DRM is, unfortunately. Not everybody reads the game-box, unfortunately. Not everybody wants to be renting their game or forced by Blizz to play when Blizz lets them.

How UbiSoft and EA get slammed for doing this nonsense of forcing SP online, yet Blizz doesn't [in actual sales numbers] - it's pretty much beyond me. People complain, yet Blizz hasn't done anything to satisfy these gamers who want SP offline mode. It's not like they're asking for anything ridiculous here. I mean - UbiSoft & EA have both often changed their "always online" DRM on numerous games whether on launch or actually a bit later, due to gamer backlash. See what happened to the next SimCity game. Other games, like Darkspore and C&C4, tanked namely b/c of their ridiculous DRM - which they really should go ahead now and change for any sort of SP-portion of the game.

Forced always online games are not the future - PC and consoles. And neither is forced cloud gaming, for that matter. As an extra option, playing online and cloud gaming are actually GREAT ideas. :D

EDIT:
You know what would be a real slap in PC gaming's face? If Blizz does port D3 to the consoles and the SP can be played OFFLINE.

all i got from that is that the average consumer doesn't have any self control or principles. maybe you should rant about them.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #368 on: Friday, June 01, 2012, 04:30:56 PM »
all i got from that is that the average consumer doesn't have any self control or principles. maybe you should rant about them.
When eventually a very poor atmosphere will be created by dev's and publishers by forcing this kind of always online garbage on us and a majority of the houses use this [especially from AAA dev's and publishers], what can even gamers do? They've lost even their rights - which, who knows if the US FTC will even stick up for. At least Korea's FTC has some balls here.

Regardless of the gamers buying games w/ horrible DRM at sky-high prices (i.e. $60), this still doesn't really give the ones who are developing & publishing these games the right to keep basically trying to take more and more rights away from their customers, slowly but surely. That's what's been happening over the years w/ DRM. DRM has just been getting worse and worse and worse and worse, over the years, for the most part. I don't think this trend is going to get any better - especially thanks to D3's success. There's been problems w/ gamers lagging, connecting, and complaining about no SP offline mode - and Blizz still hasn't fixed these issues.

We've gone from disc check DRM; to one-time online activation DRM w/ install limit DRM; to forced-client DRM; to now this always online DRM.
Eventually, forced cloud gaming might come about where we won't even be storing our games on our PC's...and things will be even worse then, as we'll now be basically renting everything.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #369 on: Friday, June 01, 2012, 05:02:37 PM »
YES
OF COURSE THEY HAVE THE RIGHT
)_P(@*#)(@*#(@*

They DO have the right to do this. What part of that aren't you getting? They are a business and can ship their product however they want.

You have the right to NOT buy it along with everyone else. What can gamers do when AAA titles ship with this DRM? HEY GUESS WHAT MYSTERD. VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT A NECESSITY IN YOUR LIFE. YOU DO NOT NEED THEM TO LIVE. STOP BUYING THEM. BILLIONS OF PEOPLE DO THIS DAILY.

GODDAMN YOU ARE THICK

If game companies are taking away more and more rights like you claim then STOP SUPPORTING THEM WITH MONEY.

Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #370 on: Friday, June 01, 2012, 05:08:16 PM »
I'm beginning to think the on-going discussion in this thread about "always online DRM", "SP shouldn't be forced to always online [IMHO]", "cloud gaming", and all of that related stuff [that is going on here] is beginning to take a major life of its own and probably deserves its own thread on these gaming boards, AWAY from the Diablo 3 game thread here.

It kind of reminds me of this thread we had about UbiSoft U-Play DRM, in particular.

Please tell me what you guys here think of that idea.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #371 on: Friday, June 01, 2012, 05:23:51 PM »
Honestly?

I think you should just drop it for now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #372 on: Friday, June 01, 2012, 05:31:08 PM »
Patch 1.0.2a - v.1.0.2.9858 released.

General
    Tooltips for the following class abilities have been updated to reflect changes made in patch 1.0.2 and previous hotfixes:
        Demon Hunter
            Smoke Screen (Skill Rune – Lingering Fog)
        Monk
            Fists of Thunder (Skill Rune – Quickening)
            Mantra of Healing (Skill Rune – Boon of Inspiration)
        Wizard
            Energy Armor (Skill Rune – Force Armor)

Nigel Cutthroat has recently fallen on hard times and will now drop lower quality items when slain
    Gold and quest experience rewards for replaying "Heart of Sin: Get the Soul of Azmodan" have been reduced
    Gold and quest experience rewards for replaying "Heart of Sin: Go to the Keep" have been removed

Auction House
    The maximum duration for posted auctions has been reduced from 48 hours to 36 hours

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #373 on: Monday, June 04, 2012, 06:54:33 AM »
Finished on normal over the weekend.  Good ways into Act 1 on Nightmare.  I have to say, the game's much better when not burdened with a story.  I just can't believe 12 years and this is what they came up with.  Once you've seen it through and officially give zero shits about the narrative, the game gets a lot better.

There needs to be some sort of regulation in the AH though.  Stuff is getting out of hand real fast, what with people putting stuff up with bids and buyouts that are in the millions.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #374 on: Monday, June 04, 2012, 07:10:55 AM »
Yea I finished it up as well. I would say the story is competent, but yea, there's nothing outstanding about it.

Ive already made my way to Act 2 on nightmare. It's crazy how we play through games and put them down to move onto the next one, that doesn't exist with Diablo 3. I finished it, and without blinking, started it all over again. I know its Blizzard and its a game about getting loot, but I feel like with other games like this, it doesn't even come close to how addictive it is.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #375 on: Monday, June 04, 2012, 07:47:47 AM »
Finished on normal over the weekend.  Good ways into Act 1 on Nightmare.  I have to say, the game's much better when not burdened with a story.  I just can't believe 12 years and this is what they came up with.  Once you've seen it through and officially give zero shits about the narrative, the game gets a lot better.

I feel pretty much the same way. It seemed like they tried to do too much with the story but didn't have the ability to pull it off. Things would have been so much better if Blizzard had just stuck to the sort of minimalist narrative they had going in originals. That doesn't mean they had to skimp on things like town talk or lore because those are mostly optional and were generally very good, but  in-engine cutscenes and interruptions in the field were not helping things. This is especially true in acts III and IV where I'm pretty sure some of the coolness was lost due to frequent chats in the field.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #376 on: Monday, June 04, 2012, 08:17:54 AM »
Summary of D3 (from a thread on the official forums that Blizz has since deleted):

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #378 on: Thursday, June 07, 2012, 07:12:21 AM »
Planned feature:
Changing follower AI so they don’t target invulnerable enemies and aren’t so zealous to engage things like treasure goblins before you start attacking

OH THANK GOD

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #379 on: Friday, June 08, 2012, 08:03:34 AM »
For your reading pleasure, a thread about the release of Diablo 2 from 2000:

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65309

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #380 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 09:18:55 AM »
Got the Diablo 3 collector's edition on eBay! Got the CDKEY from him while he ships the package to me!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #382 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 08:30:37 PM »
Makes sense.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #383 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 11:09:02 AM »
How do you get those?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #384 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 11:16:32 AM »
You can buy them direct from Blizzard or download an app for your smartphone for free.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #385 on: Monday, June 11, 2012, 11:23:50 AM »
Cool! Thanks.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #386 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »
Patch 1.0.2c released.
Real Money AH is patched-in and is now live.
Also, Error 37 is gone - now it'll keep re-trying to log you in, instead of giving you the Error 37.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #387 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 05:37:02 PM »
And the stories start rolling out. (even if they're probably fake)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #388 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 06:11:37 PM »

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #389 on: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 07:08:56 PM »
Oh well. It was a touching tale of a dude who spent the money his mother gave him to buy a father's day gift for the family. In the end, he also bought the wrong item and completely wasted his money.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #390 on: Friday, June 15, 2012, 06:33:11 AM »
I can't speak for Sy, but as a new father I find this game to cater to my newly forced gaming habits pretty well. 

I get a large block on Sat and Sun mornings to play, but otherwise it's just here and there.  And if I only have 5 min?  Browse the AH!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #391 on: Friday, June 15, 2012, 08:12:23 AM »
Yeah, it's done pretty well for me. Although, if you look at my profile you'll see I've put a fair amount of time into the game. That's partially inflated because I have a tendency to just leave the game running if I have to do something else for a while, although my real hour count is pretty damned high.

I did finish up a nightmare run last night and I'm kind of proud of myself although I know that's pretty slow compared to the main Diablo crowd. Having gotten this far, I feel like the end of nightmare is a lot closer to what I feel like the end of normal Diablo 2 was, maybe only slightly harder. What I've really been struggling with is finding a good skill setup which can both dish out damage and protect me when I need it. In the end I ended up going nearly full protection and picked away at last bosses.

I've also crumpled and used the gold auction house every now and again. Seeing as there really isn't a gambling vendor anymore and the crafter often lacks gear at my level, the auction house gives me a place to spend some money. In the end it's kept in the game in terms of gear throughout nightmare, but it never made me feel like I was overpowered. So, at least the gold auction house isn't so bad.

As for the real money auction house? Fuck that shit. People are paying hundreds of dollars for items? Who the hell is buying it? I can somewhat understand dropping a dollar or two over the course of a couple months, but to pay more than the cost of game for a single item just makes my brain fizzle.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #392 on: Sunday, June 17, 2012, 09:09:06 AM »
GameSpot -> Confessions of a Diablo III Day Trader.
This is basically their pro-tips on how to sell items on the RMAH.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #393 on: Monday, June 18, 2012, 07:22:08 AM »
I finished up Nightmare over the weekend.  I've got 1.5 bars of experience left before I can start to tackle hell (Minimum of level 50 required).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #394 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 04:03:01 PM »
D3 CE came and it is awesome. Installing now! WOOOOOH!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #395 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 04:45:34 PM »
So I am having trouble deciding what class to start with. I want my classic sword and shield fighter, damnit! The only problem I see with the game is how every class is a bit freaky. You need your staple classes too Blizzard. Hopefully we will get a Paladin in the expansion.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #396 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 04:49:38 PM »
So I am having trouble deciding what class to start with. I want my classic sword and shield fighter, damnit! The only problem I see with the game is how every class is a bit freaky. You need your staple classes too Blizzard. Hopefully we will get a Paladin in the expansion.
I am betting that was Blizz's plan all along - to get everybody to play D3 w/ "not-so-traditional classes" by NOT including any of the traditional classes.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #397 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 05:10:15 PM »
Ahhhhh... D.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #398 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 06:49:19 PM »
I am a Demon Hunter! The game is beautiful looking! EVERYONE ADD ME DAMNIT! Pugnate#2375

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #399 on: Thursday, June 21, 2012, 03:00:32 PM »
Hey, wanna buy a new copy and are keen to digital media? Well fuck you.

I really have enjoyed my time with Diablo. I really have. I'll probably start putting more in at some point. However, there's been so much general strangeness to the game that's sometimes it's hard to separate the game from the mess in my mind. If that's something that should even be done is entirely up to you to decide, but for me I don't think history is going to look on Diablo III very kindly or, at the very least, there will be some taint always attached to the game. For me, I think everything that has gone wrong started with the decided to make the real money auction house. While it might always be right, it's not hard to see nearly all the strange decisions, gameplay or restrictive rules, were made while considering the the auction house. Even now that items are selling for hundreds of dollars in a Blizzard sanctioned part of the game makes me feel uneasy when ever I boot up the game. It's silly, yeah, but a lot of it just feels wrong.