Author Topic: The Currently Playing Thread / Recently Finished Thread  (Read 251535 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: The Currently Playing Thread / Recently Finished Thread
« Reply #560 on: Monday, September 05, 2011, 07:44:20 AM »
Why did you play it on very easy?
Of the things I like about Uncharted, the combat ranks fairly low. Its not bad but I don't like bullet sponges and waves of enemies. Restarting an area because I get killed is frustrating (even on ve it still happened if I was careless), and what I play Uncharted for is to explore the new areas and to see the story unfold. Those things don't change between difficulty levels.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #561 on: Monday, September 05, 2011, 07:54:36 AM »
It's rare but I'll play a game on easy if I'm only interested in the story. I've a come a cross a few games with crap gameplay (or gameplay that's just not for me) but with a great story right behind that hurdle.

I generally like to play on Normal difficulty "play the game the way it was meant to be played" but I've noticed that in stealth-oriented games I usually start on the hardest difficulty just to make it more interesting. In DXHR, I've noticed almost no difference between Normal and Hard just because I never got spotted by enemies to begin with; kept getting the "Ghost" award at the end of each mission ;D

Same with Splinter Cell games. I think with Stealth games I operate on a higher plane that no matter what difficulty I will essentially get the same experience.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #562 on: Monday, September 05, 2011, 07:59:24 AM »
It's rare but I'll play a game on easy if I'm only interested in the story. I've a come a cross a few games with crap gameplay (or gameplay that's just not for me) but with a great story right behind that hurdle.

I generally like to play on Normal difficulty "play the game the way it was meant to be played" but I've noticed that in stealth-oriented games I usually start on the hardest difficulty just to make it more interesting. In DXHR, I've noticed almost no difference between Normal and Hard just because I never got spotted by enemies to begin with; kept getting the "Ghost" award at the end of each mission ;D

Same with Splinter Cell games. I think with Stealth games I operate on a higher plane that no matter what difficulty I will essentially get the same experience.

I played Deus Ex: HR on "Give Me A Challenge".
I didn't touch the easiest mode - namely b/c I saw some AI stupidity complaints in reviews.
I didn't notice any odd AI stupidities on this difficulty, either.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #563 on: Monday, September 05, 2011, 04:18:01 PM »
I will say this:  I think I played both Uncharted games on the default difficulty, but I'd seriously consider giving them another go on a more difficult one.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #564 on: Friday, September 09, 2011, 09:34:29 PM »
Just finished Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (PC).

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #565 on: Friday, September 09, 2011, 11:22:36 PM »
I'm replaying old games right now: StarCraft, StarCraft: Brood War and Ground Control.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #566 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 08:24:11 PM »
Just finished Bully: Scholarship Edition [PC].

Yeah, I know - I finally got this game running this past weekend. And of all PC's, ran fine on my new rig, not my older rig [which is the PC I tried to run it on numerous times, back in that PC's hey-day]. Been unable to put it down since I began it and just finished it.

Offline wizall

« Reply #567 on: Friday, September 16, 2011, 04:02:32 AM »
Still a shitload of Eve. Pretty much all I play these days. It's half-job/-entertainment. I still really enjoy it. Did any of you ever stick with it? I'm pretty well setup in a wormhole finally, which is a pretty cool experience. Also I manage to buy GoG games on a regular basis though haven't spent much time actually playing them.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #568 on: Friday, September 16, 2011, 06:48:28 AM »
Just finished Bully: Scholarship Edition [PC].

Yeah, I know - I finally got this game running this past weekend. And of all PC's, ran fine on my new rig, not my older rig [which is the PC I tried to run it on numerous times, back in that PC's hey-day]. Been unable to put it down since I began it and just finished it.

How does this compare to other rockstar games?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #569 on: Friday, September 16, 2011, 02:54:58 PM »
How does this compare to other rockstar games?
Put GTA gameplay and structure [of doing main missions and side-quests] and throw it instead into a high-school and a big town surrounding it.
No killing for combat, but instead you beat the shit out of people.
Classes are just some of the side quests - play dodgeball; do wrestling; and other kinds of stuff.
You can tag things [w/ spray paint]; shoot slingshots; shoot spuds out of a cannon; dress up as a mascot and dance as the mascot;\ and other kinds of off-the-wall madness.
Forget cars, you use bikes and skateboard to roam around the gameworld.
The game is often VERY hilarious, too.

Personally, I loved it.
Bully is my favorite Rockstar game since GTA: Vice City.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #570 on: Friday, September 16, 2011, 05:14:20 PM »
In preparation for Dark Souls next month I have been playing through Demon's Souls a second time.  I fucking love this game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #571 on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 08:55:19 AM »
Just finished Fallout 3: The Pitt DLC (PC).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #572 on: Monday, September 19, 2011, 07:10:28 PM »
Just finished Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta DLC (PC).

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #573 on: Saturday, September 24, 2011, 07:12:40 AM »
I am replaying Mirror's Edge. That game is frickin' awesome. It is truly a work of art. Yeah, EA needs to let DICE make the sequel pronto!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #574 on: Saturday, September 24, 2011, 09:45:45 AM »
Just finished SP portion of Duke Nukem Forever [PC].
Been checking out the MP - feels like a throwback to the good old days of UT days; Quake 2 + 3 glory; and DN3D of course.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #575 on: Tuesday, October 04, 2011, 09:59:14 PM »
Just finished SP portion of Wolfenstein [2009] (PC).
Past few weeks, been playing a lot of Test Drive Unlimited 2 (PC).

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #576 on: Friday, October 28, 2011, 10:25:32 PM »
I "finished" Yakuza 4, as in I completed the main story and all substories for all 4 characters. Even with that and a final play time over 50 hours my completion was 50.99%. I have plenty to do still. Train fighters for the arena, fight in the arena myself, train hostesses, date hostesses, and play all the many, many minigames.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #577 on: Saturday, October 29, 2011, 03:19:11 AM »
Of the things I like about Uncharted, the combat ranks fairly low. Its not bad but I don't like bullet sponges and waves of enemies. Restarting an area because I get killed is frustrating (even on ve it still happened if I was careless), and what I play Uncharted for is to explore the new areas and to see the story unfold. Those things don't change between difficulty levels.

That caught my eye because it was at the top of the page.  It also pretty much describes my feelings about Red Dead Redemption, which I've been playing heavily.  I love exploring and roaming the world.  The combat is well implemented, but losing progress because of dying is unacceptable to me anymore.  Duels are a serious pain in the ass, and I will never accept one unless I just saved the game.  I'm also still heavily into Borderlands, particularly farming for new and rare weapons.  Rounding out the package is Forza 4, which is superlative on the track (and mediocre in the menus).  Very addictive once I get driving, trying to perfect my performance and tuning on particular cars and tracks.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #578 on: Saturday, October 29, 2011, 05:53:46 AM »
Recently finished this past week:
Dead Rising 2 (PC) -> received Ending D
Borderlands: Claptrap's New Robot Revolution (PC)

Currently downloading:
Dead Island (PC)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #579 on: Saturday, October 29, 2011, 09:43:12 PM »
That caught my eye because it was at the top of the page.  It also pretty much describes my feelings about Red Dead Redemption, which I've been playing heavily.  I love exploring and roaming the world.  The combat is well implemented, but losing progress because of dying is unacceptable to me anymore.  Duels are a serious pain in the ass, and I will never accept one unless I just saved the game.  I'm also still heavily into Borderlands, particularly farming for new and rare weapons.  Rounding out the package is Forza 4, which is superlative on the track (and mediocre in the menus).  Very addictive once I get driving, trying to perfect my performance and tuning on particular cars and tracks.

Sorry to go onto a RDR tangent, but you keep saying that you lose progress from dying in RDR which is simply not true. You simply load back in a different part of day in the gaming world. Nothing is lost, there are no timed missions, if you cant access somebody during that time, just setup camp and sleep. The penalty you are talking about simply doesn't exist, you are just thinking about it wrong.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #580 on: Sunday, October 30, 2011, 07:14:51 AM »
No, sorry.  You are wrong.  I lost hours of hunting spoils--pelts, meat, antlers, feathers, etc--all gone.  This wasn't imagined.  It's happened more than once, because of lost duels, except that since I became aware of the design deficiency, I don't allow too much time to pass without saving, so what I lose is a lot less.  When you die, and you're not in a mission (where you get to retry from a checkpoint) the result is the same as if you had a power failure, and you had to turn on your system again and load up your most recent save.  That's archaic, and just plain shitty.  6 hours of the game day are lost when you save, every time, whether in a room or at a campsite.  You may not think that's a big deal, and that's fine.  Personally, I don't like it.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #581 on: Sunday, October 30, 2011, 07:37:17 AM »
Well sorry it frustrates you, that sucks. I don't remember losing items, but then again I never checked nor did I care about that stuff since there's no real use of it in the game. I think if you play it a bit longer then you'll start to understand that it doesn't hinder you.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #582 on: Sunday, October 30, 2011, 07:58:14 AM »
Actually Pyro the save system is a hindrance.  Surely it's a design decision on Rockstar's part to make saves like they are.  But he's right, if you're just out exploring and die without saving (or doing something to warrant a save like taming a horse), then you can theoretically end up losing hours of progress.

The solution is to obviously save often, but I definitely sympathize.  It's very easy to get caught up in this game and lose track of time quickly.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #583 on: Sunday, October 30, 2011, 08:21:04 AM »
I remember that GTA4 auto-saves after you finish a mission even.
Does RDR do that?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #584 on: Sunday, October 30, 2011, 08:26:53 AM »
It does.  Considering past Rockstar titles, the save system is as generous as its ever been.  Compared to other games it's flat out terrible though.  There really should be no reason why I shouldn't be able to just press 'start' and hit 'save' in this game.  If you don't want me saving in the middle of a mission, that's fine.  but if I'm just traversing the overworld let me save my game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #585 on: Sunday, October 30, 2011, 08:42:46 AM »
It does.  Considering past Rockstar titles, the save system is as generous as its ever been.  Compared to other games it's flat out terrible though.  There really should be no reason why I shouldn't be able to just press 'start' and hit 'save' in this game.  If you don't want me saving in the middle of a mission, that's fine.  but if I'm just traversing the overworld let me save my game.
Can't argue w/ that one bit.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #586 on: Sunday, October 30, 2011, 08:52:04 AM »
Granted you can use a campfire in the overworld and save that way, but it's way more time consuming than just hitting 'save' in a menu.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #587 on: Sunday, October 30, 2011, 10:43:50 AM »
No, you are all wrong and suck at games.

And life.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #588 on: Sunday, October 30, 2011, 12:38:43 PM »
I don't want to derail this thread, so I'm done here.  I'll gladly discuss the game in its own thread.  Love ya bye!    8)

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #589 on: Wednesday, November 09, 2011, 10:24:53 AM »
Playing Sacrifice (Shiny, 2001) again. I got it a few months after it came out, but never finished it because of other games I was playing at the time (Tribes 2 came out around that time).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #590 on: Wednesday, November 09, 2011, 05:46:39 PM »
Awesome! Still one of my all-time favorite games. I think I finished it twice, and I could easily go through it again. It holds up pretty well today, and there's a lot to discover if you really get into it. Plus it's a cool little story and a fantastic world. After all this time I still recommend the hell out of it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #591 on: Wednesday, November 09, 2011, 07:09:13 PM »
After finishing up my second playthrough of Demon's Souls and finishing up Dark Souls last month, I finally touched upon my backlog by starting up Yakuza 3 that I picked up at the last meet and have about 25 hours in it so far and its been great, but god damn there is so much stuff to do!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #592 on: Wednesday, November 09, 2011, 09:15:05 PM »
I picked up GTA4 Complete the other day and have been diving into it. Pretty fun, but like in real life sometimes you just have to leave your phone off.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #593 on: Wednesday, November 09, 2011, 09:31:20 PM »
Awesome! Still one of my all-time favorite games. I think I finished it twice, and I could easily go through it again. It holds up pretty well today, and there's a lot to discover if you really get into it. Plus it's a cool little story and a fantastic world. After all this time I still recommend the hell out of it.

Yeah, I'm really digging the world and the numerous paths you can take. I'm already planning on playing it again just to see what creatures I get with other gods.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #594 on: Friday, November 11, 2011, 07:13:20 AM »
I finished Uncharted 3 last night.  Fun game, worth playing, but can't shake the feeling that 2 was the better game.  I played it upon release though, so my judgment could be a little cloudy.  Just remember being more wowed with the setpieces in the second game, and I felt like 2 flowed better.  That could be because I played 2 in a handful of sittings and ended up progressing a couple hours at a time in 3. 

If they were to end the series here, I'd be fine with it.  However, I'd be just as fine playing more of them.  If that makes sense.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #595 on: Friday, November 11, 2011, 08:41:25 AM »
I picked up GTA4 Complete the other day and have been diving into it. Pretty fun, but like in real life sometimes you just have to leave your phone off.

Haha!  Yes, turn it off so you can explore in peace.  Tell OCD chick that your battery died or something.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #596 on: Thursday, December 08, 2011, 08:18:56 PM »
Just finished Fallout: New Vegas - Lonesome Road (PC).

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #597 on: Thursday, December 08, 2011, 09:17:47 PM »
SKYRIM

I also played about an hour of Serious Sam: TFE, picking up where I left off a few months back. Good fun, though a bit heavy for extended play sessions.

Other recent plays have been:
Diablo III beta (wanting to try out each of the classes)
DC Universe Online (was wasting time with this while waiting for SWTOR beta weekends, leveled a new character to max, then got bored)
Star Wars the Old Republic (final beta weekend ended, just waiting for release now)
Portal 2 (got it for $10 during the Steam sale and played through it start to finish)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #598 on: Thursday, December 08, 2011, 10:58:38 PM »
Besides what I mentioned that I finished 2 posts up, I've been playing of late on my PC....
Batman: Arkham City - Been playing this A LOT since Black Friday.
Homefront - bought it today. Played for a little bit today.
Bastion - bought it yesterday. Not played much. Made sure it worked and whatnot.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #599 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 10:27:32 PM »
Just finished Homefront (PC) - the single player campaign portion of the game.