I googled the screenies, and remembered reading about the game somewhat. PCG's Andy Mahood gave it a cautiously positive review, saying there was a decent story buried somewhere in there. The premise seemed interesting as well. Your character was a citizen of a futuristic Utopian society that was part of a one world government; basically a union of all the first world countries. I think your character was sent to a third world Eastern European country, to conduct an investigation into a murder of a diplomat or something.
Mr. Bogdanov (the guy who is killed) is not a diplomat, no. He is a citizen/member of the World Union, but is actually killed over in one of The Rogue States that is NOT a part of this World Union (he's killed over in Odessa, Russia). That is why you're investigating; he's one of your own that was killed not on their own soil and the World Union wants this case solved. As Phoenix Wallis (of The World Union), you basically conduct interviews galore throughout most of the length of the game to find out the why and the who.
The game has TONS of dialogue and options in dialogue, I should note. Basically, murder doesn't exist in this squeaky-clean society; it hasn't in YEARS.
There are a lot of subjects and themes touched on in this game, which range from sex to immigration.
The puzzles ain't too hard, but the majority of them are fair game. Nothing really there for "irrational puzzles" -- like we've seen in some other games. There are two pixel hunts puzzles that are ridiculous, though.
I'll actually go into them, a little bit...
Single Butterfly Assembly Puzzle
[spoiler]It just takes a while to actually assemble the picture, basically. That's the biggest thing. At least it lets you know you've got things in the right place when you do put it there, so that makes it nice. It just gets tedious, after a while like most pixel hunts -- that is all. [/spoiler]
Footage Re-Assembly Puzzle
[spoiler]Could've been one of the best puzzles in the game, but two things hurt it.
First of all, you have to kind of figure out from the grainy footage what the hell you will re-assembling. And it's not like you can replay this footage over and over, either. And it's not like Phoenix takes a picture of the graint footage so she can have something to reference (which she actually does for some other puzzles, oddly enough!)
But, really -- the major problem w/ this puzzle is unlike the Butterfly Puzzle, after you finish part one of the puzzle (and reassemble the split frames into half the amount of frames, which is time consuming but not too hard), you actually have to put them all back together in the right places and reassemble the picture). This can take a while, which is okay. But worst of all, the game doesn't really let you know when you're put the right piece in the right spot. At least the Butterfly Puzzle lets you know you've put the piece in the right place.[/spoiler]
But Andy Mahood did express his disappointment with the visuals, saying that he was very disappointed considering visuals were the strength of the genre.
I definitely think they're majorly dated. Again, I think this is easily the weakest part of the game, myself. the rest of the game is great, despite the two pixel hunt puzzles.
I am surprised I remember so much. I guess I was wanting to play the game, seeing as how I love Adventure. I think they mentioned the game was developed by some Turkish team, which might explain the bland visuals. I suppose they didn't have the budget to hire some quality artists.
Yes, a Turkish team put together the game.