Author Topic: Roberta Gambarini  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Roberta Gambarini
« on: Friday, July 25, 2008, 06:58:29 PM »
Going to see this chick on Sunday.  I've been trying to find more jazz vocalists that I like, and there are a lot that I don't.  Dig this girl, though.  Julia's been bugging me forever to take her to this one jazz club we have here in Oakland (Yoshi's), and we've put it off a bunch of times, but we're going this weekend since there's a 2-for-1 thing if you're a member of the public jazz radio station I listen to.  Kinda' sucks because she wants to eat there too, and I've heard they swapped chefs and the new guy made a ridiculously expensive menu that isn't really worth the money, but I guess I'll try anything once.  At least the music should be good.

She's also playing with this Roy Hargrove fella on Sunday only, and she's done some recordings with him, so I'm hoping for some good chemistry.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Roberta Gambarini
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 25, 2008, 07:50:12 PM »
Thats cool, wish I could make it to that, let me know how it is.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Roberta Gambarini
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 25, 2008, 09:28:13 PM »
For sure.  Do you like jazz vocalists at all?  It took me years to get into them, and I still don't like a lot.  I listened exclusively to instrumental stuff, mostly like 50s west coast cool jazz and bop/hard bop for probably 10 years before I made it over the hump and started finding that there are vocalists I like.  Most of them are from the 60s and before, very few after that.  But I'm listening to the radio an awful lot now since I commute, so it's opening up new avenues to me, especially where actual contemporary jazz artists are concerned.  There are actually a lot who hold to tradition and haven't embraced so much of the BS that people like these days.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野