Author Topic: CPU Temp - how long does a heat sink generally last?  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
CPU Temp - how long does a heat sink generally last?
« on: Monday, September 22, 2008, 10:20:14 PM »
This may not be related to my problem exactly, as I think my primary issue is my CPU fan and heat sink continually get clogged with dust, and I have to blow the stuff out for my temps to return to something reasonable under heavy load (the thing seems to naturally idle somewhere around 43C, but when it gets clogged that goes up to around 49C or so, pushing the temp when under a load like a game or whatever to above 60C), but I just wonder whether or not one ever has to replace a heat sink or reapply thermal paste, etc.  I've had this rig a few years and it's served me pretty well, but the fact is that I'm completely broke and may not be able to upgrade for a long time, so I'm just curious about the longevity of these parts.

And if anybody has good tips for combating dust, I'd be very willing to listen.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: CPU Temp - how long does a heat sink generally last?
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 22, 2008, 10:43:29 PM »
Theres a couple things to do to help with dust.

First, make sure all your case fans are blowing IN to the case. It seems most cases have the air blow out, which makes some sense for removing heat. The problem is this creates a small vacuum inside the case, which causes dust to be sucked in from every little space it can. By blowing air in, it creates pressure that blows air out of those spots, pushing dust away.

Then you just put filters over the intake fans and dust should be much less of a problem. I wouldn't worry about the "blowing the hot air out" thing. It will get pushed out as the cooler air comes in.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 04:33:35 AM »
idol has some good tips.  A heatsink should last forever pretty much.  It's just metal.  You just have to clean it up every once in awhile.  About once or twice a year I take the fan of my CPU heatsink.  There's usually quite a bit of dust under there and I clean that out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 06:34:20 AM »
Thanks to you both, that's a great help.

EDIT - I finally got a can of compressed air and opened the computer up.  I'd blown some stuff off just myself before, but this time I took off the fan and a few other odds and ends, used the air all over the whole case, blew the crap out of everything.  Now I'm idling at 36c (about 7 degrees below what I was getting before).  Very much happiness for the dusting.  Happiness of much very no dust.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 12:35:07 PM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野