Author Topic: Action Doom 2  (Read 1749 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Action Doom 2
« on: Friday, September 26, 2008, 05:12:12 PM »
ZOMG

Stand-alone (doesn't require Doom) mod/game using the ZDoom engine. Imagine taking a side scrolling brawler like Streets of Rage and turning it into a FPS. Fully voiced Sin City/Max Payne style cutscenes, a surprising amount of interactivity, and just general kickassery. Download or die!

Also contains a link to Action Doom, which was more like Contra meets FPS.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Action Doom 2
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 26, 2008, 06:43:37 PM »
And it's free!  But you can support them and buy it for 10 bucks, and then you get some extra goodies like a box and stuff.  I'm totally buying it.  I messed with it for a bit the other night and had all kinds of ridiculous fun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 26, 2008, 07:59:41 PM »
Getting it now.  This looks like a high point in free entertainment, but I'm getting ahead of myself.  Dl almost finished . . .

Edit:  That's interesting.  I played until I got too nauseous to keep going.  Unless I'm missing something, this is hard as nails.  Even as a punkass bitch, I have trouble staying alive.  Thanks for the link.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 26, 2008, 08:58:46 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 26, 2008, 09:50:23 PM »
Yeah, its quite hard. The first part gets easier if you use the payphone and call up a guy to help. Though thats not always available in other areas.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 12:44:48 AM »
hmmm. Train of thought:

Action Doom 2 ---->Action Half-life ----> The Opera.

Anyone know what ever happened to The Opera?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 08:17:23 AM »
You just have to get used to the flow of the game.  If you'd spent a fair bit of time punching guys out in stock Doom back in the day, you should be fine with this.  It's roughly the same mechanic, you've just got other guys who also punch and you've got weapons that break and can be picked up, thrown, etc.  I was playing on the second to hardest difficulty and doing pretty well with it.

What I think is really remarkable is how cohesive and consistent the art style is.  It looks like a Doom game, but at the same time it totally doesn't.  I get a real Duke3D feeling when I'm playing it, in some ways.  It's really neat.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 09:40:45 AM »
The Opera was going to go from HL1 to UT2004, they gave up on that and switched to HL2, and then the whole thing simply died.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 10:26:05 AM »
You just have to get used to the flow of the game.  If you'd spent a fair bit of time punching guys out in stock Doom back in the day, you should be fine with this.  It's roughly the same mechanic, you've just got other guys who also punch and you've got weapons that break and can be picked up, thrown, etc.  I was playing on the second to hardest difficulty and doing pretty well with it.

What I think is really remarkable is how cohesive and consistent the art style is.  It looks like a Doom game, but at the same time it totally doesn't.  I get a real Duke3D feeling when I'm playing it, in some ways.  It's really neat.

Oh, no.  I avoided melee combat as much as possible in the Dooms.  They're shooters.  You're supposed to keep your distance from the nasty demons and shoot them.  I find it very hard not to trade blows with some of these Brawl characters.  Since health pickups are about nonexistent, and they hardly restore any health anyway, I can't afford to be trading blows.

But my biggest problem with the game is crippling vertigo.  This really makes me sad.  I never used to get motion sickness on FPSs, even these primitive raycasters (which are the worst for that).  For that reason alone, I'm probably done with this.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 10:50:10 AM »
Well, yeah, that's why I said punching guys out in Doom.  Like with the berserk pack and such.  It's the same mechanic... run in while swinging, back out before opponent's blow lands, rinse and repeat.

I can see how this could totally make somebody sick to play, though.  Old games have a weird way about them when using mouselook, and this one much more than stock Doom because of how colorful it is and how bright everything is lit.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 11:09:15 AM »
But my biggest problem with the game is crippling vertigo.  This really makes me sad.  I never used to get motion sickness on FPSs, even these primitive raycasters (which are the worst for that).  For that reason alone, I'm probably done with this.
A friend of mind had the same problem.  About five years ago he had to basically stop playing videogames because he was getting motion-sickness so bad every time.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 11:26:16 AM »
Well, yeah, that's why I said punching guys out in Doom.  Like with the berserk pack and such.  It's the same mechanic... run in while swinging, back out before opponent's blow lands, rinse and repeat.

I can see how this could totally make somebody sick to play, though.  Old games have a weird way about them when using mouselook, and this one much more than stock Doom because of how colorful it is and how bright everything is lit.

No, I understand very well how to do it.  I just don't have much practice.  Plus some of these guys seem to react way quicker than I remember from Doom 1 & 2.  It may be just that I'm slower.

I optioned my way to modern mouselook.  I think the vertigo comes from several factors, one of which is the way things distort constantly in an engine where vertical lines in the game world are always vertical on the screen (raycaster).  Another factor is the size of the monitor.  I've never had 23" of widescreen flat panel 18" from my face before.  That takes up most of my field of vision.  But even setting it to display 4:3 (narrowing it a lot) doesn't help.  But yeah, guys.  Swinging the view around wildly with mouselook and the footwork are making me physically ill.  I'm stubborn, so I played until one more second would have made me throw up.  (Remember the Bill Cosby routine?  "Your body says 'don't take another drink'.") 

Scott, was your buddy always like that, and he finally conceded defeat, or did the condition come up after years of gaming?  With me, it's definitely the latter.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 11:43:58 AM »
Ive only gotten motion sickness a couple times from games. Mostly its when I watch other people play. Especially when its a FPS on a console, or when my brother uses keyboard only movement for looking in Half-Life. The steady turning just messes me up.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 12:30:42 PM »
I've never gotten motion sickness from anything but spending too much time reading in the car, and even then only mildly.  I guess I'm lucky.  I remember back when I was heralding Descent as the greatest game ever made, most of my friends were only able to agree with or dispute my claims between runs to the bathroom.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 03:20:43 PM »
I've never gotten motion sickness from anything but spending too much time reading in the car, and even then only mildly.  I guess I'm lucky.  I remember back when I was heralding Descent as the greatest game ever made, most of my friends were only able to agree with or dispute my claims between runs to the bathroom.
That's the only kind of motion sickness I ever experienced, reading in a moving car.

I have a friend who can get some serious vertigo from 1st person shooters! It was pretty sad actually.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 04:55:16 PM »
Thats totally weird. I can read in the car for hours and that doesn't bother me.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 09:40:06 PM »
Scott, was your buddy always like that, and he finally conceded defeat, or did the condition come up after years of gaming?  With me, it's definitely the latter.
No, he was a huge gamer.  Basically had to give it up.

I'm like idol.  I simply do not get motion sick no matter what.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 11:49:31 PM »
No, I understand very well how to do it.  I just don't have much practice.  Plus some of these guys seem to react way quicker than I remember from Doom 1 & 2.  It may be just that I'm slower.

I optioned my way to modern mouselook.  I think the vertigo comes from several factors, one of which is the way things distort constantly in an engine where vertical lines in the game world are always vertical on the screen (raycaster).  Another factor is the size of the monitor.  I've never had 23" of widescreen flat panel 18" from my face before.  That takes up most of my field of vision.  But even setting it to display 4:3 (narrowing it a lot) doesn't help.  But yeah, guys.  Swinging the view around wildly with mouselook and the footwork are making me physically ill.  I'm stubborn, so I played until one more second would have made me throw up.  (Remember the Bill Cosby routine?  "Your body says 'don't take another drink'.") 

Perhaps you should turn off monitor/gpu scaling and set the resolution lower so that you just have the 1024X768 box in the middle of the screen with the black border around it.  I'd imagine it'd be worth a shot.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, May 22, 2010, 06:25:43 PM »
Necro-bump!

Just a heads up for anyone that didn't buy the special edition of this, the bonus features have been released online since they are all out of box copies. Theres extra modes and stuff, including a hilarious one featuring Yakety Sax.