Author Topic: Starcraft 2 is a trilogy  (Read 42634 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Starcraft 2 is a trilogy
« Reply #120 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 06:17:49 AM »
I am terrible at the multiplayer.  They have changed the tech trees enough that I invariably end up fucking myself.  To be honest though, I was never even that great in the original SC when I knew the tech trees.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #121 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 10:37:24 AM »
I was never good at the MP either. I always got my ass kicked. I might have won 2 out of 5 games.

Been playing it all morning. It's awesome. At first, I felt as though it was just Starcraft Broodwars with better graphics. But after unlocking units and playing some more, wow, it's dope! The single playing is fantastic. The presentation and the way the story is told is so much better than any other RTS I can recall. Basically, you do a mission, then you end up with Raynor in a bar, or something and you can interact with whatever is there. Like Tigus, you can click on him and it will play a little cut scene where they exchange some dialogue. Or you can click on the TV on the wall and it will play a news broadcast. It really fleshes out the story very well. Which so far has be really interesting.

As of now, I've done about 5 missions I think and I'm on the bridge of the Hyperion. You can go to different areas of the ship, and interact with different things. You can go to the armory and upgrade units and such using money that you've earned from completing missions. I also heard once you unlock the Cantina on the ship that there is a Lost Viking arcade game and when you click on it, you can play the full game, heh. Pretty cool little easter egg.

When you're ready to do another mission, you just go to the mission command display and you can chose what mission you want to do and viola. It's really really cool!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #122 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 01:29:18 PM »

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #123 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 02:27:33 PM »
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #124 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 04:05:37 PM »
The lack of LAN sucks, especially for people like me, but anyway, people really are whining like bitches about all sorts of crazy stuff.

Go to amazon and check out the user reviews. I can't imagine how hard it must be to make a PC game because of how bi-polar the  PC gaming community is.

I know we mock the console crowd for paying $10 for 3 MW2 maps, but sometimes I wonder if they are better off. At least they are happy, and don't seem to work themselves into a frenzy over every minute change in every game. I am not saying that we should take it in the rear without any protest -- that sorta inaction results in things like horse armor --, but surely, there has to be some balance. If console gamers seem to let big publishers rape them without a struggle, then I think PC gamers seem to cry rape far too often.

Anyway, some dude was crying about how the game felt short and incomplete because of only one campaign.

He said that it took him "only" 22 hours to finish the SP, and he felt cheated. Over twenty hours for a game with such variety in singleplayer is pretty fantastic.

Where the fuck do these people come from?

You could have the greatest PC game come out tomorrow morning, and I guarantee that people will be bitchin' about it on Amazon.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #125 on: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 04:18:59 PM »
The lack of LAN sucks, especially for people like me, but anyway, people really are whining like bitches about all sorts of crazy stuff.
I can kind of see the LAN support complaint - since a lot of Diablo, Warcraft, and Starcraft MP stuff were built off LAN parties.

Go to amazon and check out the user reviews. I can't imagine how hard it must be to make a PC game because of how bi-polar the  PC gaming community is.

I know we mock the console crowd for paying $10 for 3 MW2 maps, but sometimes I wonder if they are better off. At least they are happy, and don't seem to work themselves into a frenzy over every minute change in every game. I am not saying that we should take it in the rear without any protest -- that sorta inaction results in horse armor --, but surely, there has to be some balance. If console gamers seem to let big publishers rape them without a struggle, then I think PC gamers seem to cry rape far too often.
Actually, I think it's $15 for 5 maps per pack for MW2 (3 new maps, 2 re-imagined maps) - PC and consoles. :P

And there's 2 packs out there - so that's $30 for 10 maps, if you want the whole she-bang (6 new maps, 4 re-imagined maps).

I think for PC version, Steam's been doing the map-packs 10% off here and there, though.

Anyway, some dude was crying about how the game felt short and incomplete because of only one campaign.
Short? No. 20 hours these days is pretty good for a SP-component. Especially if it ALSO packs a MP component.

Incomplete factor depends on how many storyline threads are left hanging. But, look at many modern games these days - a lot of them DO NOT wrap things up. They keep some threads open for sequels. It would be nice to get a sense of full-completion - but hey, it ain't the end of my world; especially if the game's of a pretty good length.

DAO leaves a handful of threads open and that game takes over 50 hours to finish just the main stuff. For me, since I did A LOT of the side stuff, too - yeah, over 105 hours to finish the game! After 105 hours, I didn't feel cheated at all, despite some obvious stuff like hanging. *shrug*

He said that it took him "only" 22 hours to finish the SP, and he felt cheated. Over twenty hours for a game with such variety in singleplayer is pretty fantastic.

Where the fuck do these people come from?

You could have the greatest PC game come out tomorrow morning, and I guarantee that people will be bitchin' about it on Amazon.
22 hours for a SP component these days is pretty good - especially if it has a variety to it. And from the way you talking, that doesn't include the dude's MP component thoughts - if he gonna even play the MP.

EDIT:
Oh, BTW - Blizzard's already hiring for some new unannounced project.
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 04:41:07 PM by MysterD »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: Sunday, August 01, 2010, 09:09:50 AM »
It really depends on the genre.  Grinding open-world games are historically very long in comparison to more linear story games.  22 hours is starting to sound very generous in the latter, which is sad.  In the former, it would definitely be short.  I'm not sure where SC 2 fits in that landscape, though.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #127 on: Sunday, August 01, 2010, 11:01:09 AM »
We don't need to use the Real ID system to play together.

What's your character name and character code?  Mine's iPPi and 712.  Add me.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #128 on: Sunday, August 01, 2010, 11:46:36 AM »
I'm tux # 221
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #129 on: Sunday, August 01, 2010, 01:11:38 PM »
angrykeebler@gmail.com

add me bitches
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #130 on: Sunday, August 01, 2010, 01:13:03 PM »
NeatoBandito

lets play!

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #131 on: Sunday, August 01, 2010, 01:25:23 PM »
anyone down for some games tonight around 9pm Pacific?
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #132 on: Sunday, August 01, 2010, 05:37:34 PM »
I should be up for some games tonight.  I'm not using realID though, so add me as character friend:

iPPi

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: Monday, August 02, 2010, 01:51:49 AM »
Fuck this noise.  Bought the game tonight and installed it but can't really play it.  The whole "integrated online" thing with Battle.net is really fucking with me here.  Something is up with the wireless at my new house.  Not sure if it's the router or my card, but my laptop and phone can maintain a solid connection, but my PC can't.  Very low signal, slow, and cuts out occasionally.  What this means is  I can't really get in to play the game.  I kind of saw this coming and checked to make sure it had an offline mode, but didn't realize you needed to go online to authenticate before you could enable it...which seems kind of retarded.

So, I guess I'm going out to buy a new network setup and hope that fixes the problem.  But seriously, I'm stealing the next two versions because this is a huge bitch.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #134 on: Monday, August 02, 2010, 02:01:27 AM »
Once you activate, you don't need to go online again for SP, do you?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #135 on: Monday, August 02, 2010, 03:56:46 AM »
Maybe not, I eventually got in and stayed in, even though my connection probably crapped out.  The bitch seemed to be that you not only needed to go online to register the game through a web browser (not a problem), but the game client needed to go online in order to create a "Character" before you could go into offline mode. Whatever, it works now and probably won't be a problem again.  Just kind of a bitch at the time.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #136 on: Monday, August 02, 2010, 09:01:17 AM »
You need to be online to activate the game (obviously).

There is an offline mode though.  When you launch the game it will automatically attempt to connect to Battle.net.  If it fails to connect, a popup will indicate that either your connection is bad or Battle.net is down, and ask if you want to play offline or not.  Select Offline and you will be able to play offline.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #137 on: Monday, August 02, 2010, 09:42:42 AM »
Doesn't sound so bad on the whole, though I can understand GPW's frustration.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #138 on: Monday, August 02, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
Yeah, it's by no means their fault and it's not that bad, the only part that was a bitch was the second level of logging in kept on timing out without the option to wait longer.  The real issue is how I can fix the connection.  I'm thinking buying a wireless usb dongle and using a usb extension cord to actually move the dongle to a better area (rather than between my desk and the wall).  Probably buy a wireless N one and eventually upgrade the router to N as well if it doesn't work out.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #139 on: Monday, August 02, 2010, 07:51:27 PM »
Man, I love this game. Just had a nice 45 minute match with some guy named Gavin. It was looking grim at first, but I pulled through. Victory is mine!

Was going to see if ippi, or someone else around here wanted to throw down tonight, but he was in a 2vs2 game and it's getting too late for me to play. No class tomorrow and no homework. I see a nice evening playing SC2 in my future.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #140 on: Monday, August 02, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »
I should be up for some games tomorrow evening.  We can play then.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #141 on: Tuesday, August 03, 2010, 07:35:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice, ippi. Played a little 1vs1 after we played with more a focus on templars. Trained 40 Templars and took the other guy with relative ease.

Gonna practice some more.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday, August 03, 2010, 08:21:55 PM »
if you are playing protoss, void rays are the "I win" button.. redonkulously overpowered at the moment
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday, August 03, 2010, 08:31:39 PM »
I love them at the moment. :)

Keeb whats your character name and code? 

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday, August 03, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »
uhh i dont know my code at the moment..will post it in an hour or so
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #145 on: Tuesday, August 03, 2010, 08:59:52 PM »
What do you pair void rays with?  Mine seem so fragile.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #146 on: Tuesday, August 03, 2010, 09:02:56 PM »
Mothership.  Otherwise have enough void rays... like 10+ in a pack are absolutely devastating.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #147 on: Tuesday, August 03, 2010, 09:54:30 PM »
You know, I don't know if I'm going to even log into MP once.  RTS MP seems to be overly all about memorizing tech trees and very efficient resource management....which isn't anything bad at all, just not really my thing. I remember playing WCIII and probably never winning a single match.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #148 on: Tuesday, August 03, 2010, 10:26:15 PM »
my character name is Derp and code is 932
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #149 on: Tuesday, August 03, 2010, 10:34:18 PM »
You know, I don't know if I'm going to even log into MP once.  RTS MP seems to be overly all about memorizing tech trees and very efficient resource management....which isn't anything bad at all, just not really my thing. I remember playing WCIII and probably never winning a single match.

try team games..you can do 3vs3 and 4vs4. there's a chance at least you will be carried and contribute in some way
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday, August 03, 2010, 10:35:28 PM »

I'm not a very big fan of 1v1 because that's what it kind of is in that situation.  Whoever is more efficient or happens to have built things in the proper order can very well win the game.  In 2v2 and 3v3 games, it's very much more dynamic and allows room for experimentation and can be quite fun.  I'm not the biggest fan of 4v4 because the game can become a big clusterfuck though.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #151 on: Tuesday, August 03, 2010, 10:39:27 PM »
Added you keeb.  I'll be online most evenings this week and should be up for some games.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #152 on: Tuesday, August 03, 2010, 10:49:25 PM »
im on but im playing coop games to help a friend learn the ropes
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #153 on: Saturday, August 07, 2010, 03:15:45 PM »
GameSpot - 9.5 (out of 10)
Written Review.
Video Review.

IGN - 9.0 (out of 10)
Written Review.
Video Review.

GameSpy - 4 stars (out of 5)
Written review.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 07, 2010, 03:39:08 PM by MysterD »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday, August 24, 2010, 07:53:53 PM »
So I finished the SCII campaign a few days ago.  I have to say... it sucks.  Well, it is fun, but the story is godawful.

It's a real shame because I hold the original SC in high regard (it is in my top 3 of all time) because of the story.  This one... nothing of any real importance seems to happen.  Well except for the end, but I think that was just a waste of a character.

(click to show/hide)

I know I'm in the minority because SCII is a multiplayer game before a single player game, but I was hoping the story in the campaign would be as good as the first game.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2010, 09:53:45 AM »
I need to play the campaign some more.  I think I'm on the 10th mission or something like that.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2010, 11:44:38 PM »
So I finished the SCII campaign a few days ago.  I have to say... it sucks.  Well, it is fun, but the story is godawful.

It's a real shame because I hold the original SC in high regard (it is in my top 3 of all time) because of the story.  This one... nothing of any real importance seems to happen.  Well except for the end, but I think that was just a waste of a character.

(click to show/hide)

I know I'm in the minority because SCII is a multiplayer game before a single player game, but I was hoping the story in the campaign would be as good as the first game.

I didn't play through the first one entirely, and only played what I did before I got into PC gaming at all (like roughly 9 years ago).  I have been enjoying the campaign mode in the second though and I'm sad to hear that it never really pans out.

The small things in the campaign mode really won points with me, as did the presence of your buddy (The guy in the suit).

ALSO NOTE THAT QUOTES WHICH ARE SPOILER TAGGED STILL SHOW UP FULLY WHEN YOU QUOTE THE POST.  Fuck me, I wish I knew that before.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2010, 11:46:07 PM »
ALSO NOTE THAT QUOTES WHICH ARE SPOILER TAGGED STILL SHOW UP FULLY WHEN YOU QUOTE THE POST.  Fuck me, I wish I knew that before.

I still have the spoiler button in the quoted text.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, August 25, 2010, 11:56:36 PM »
I think he means it pops up in the reply field when posting.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #159 on: Thursday, August 26, 2010, 12:13:26 AM »
Oh, yeah.

I guess I didn't take him for a noob :D