Well, I finally played it. I finally finished it too. I basically ran right through it and that was a good 20 hours at least. A definite improvement over the first overall.
Story-wise, it was alright. It's much more intense than the original story and it plays off it well. Apparently the game's timeline spans 22 years! Which I found odd as no one ages or anything. [spoiler]Well, Ezio grows a beard following a 9-year leap. Actually it's more of a rough stubble.[/spoiler] All other characters don't change at all. So, that kinda sucked.
Honestly though, if it weren't for the year listed at the start of each Memory Sequence I would not have known that much time had passed. Sometimes the time lapse doesn't make much sense: [spoiler]following one mission the Piece of Eden is stolen from Caterina, Ezio recovers it but is wounded and passes out, the piece is taken by a random monk. When Ezio regains consciousness he says he has to go get it immediately, he searches in the nearby abbey, he's told to go to Florence --time lapse-- 9 years later.. I'm thinking WTF?! It took him 9 years to find the guy in Florence?! Holy crap![/spoiler]
Aside from these little oddities it's a great game. It's a real shame Ubi had to mar it with their DRM (Draconian Restrictions Management) scheme. I like the word Draconian. We don't use it often enough

or do we?