Author Topic: Persona 4? Awesom....wait, WTF?!  (Read 21031 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Persona 4? Awesom....wait, WTF?!
« on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 02:23:49 AM »
As you may know, I liked Persona 3 a lot.  RPGs with me are very hit and miss.  I think a lot of them blow, but for some reason like playing them.  I'm not into any of the story conventions or characters generally, but do like the extremely plot driven game play.  Like an adventure game with monotonous fights instead of illogical puzzles.  Anyways, I had a lot of fun with P3, mainly because it was pretty unique and wasn't a Squaresoft emo bitch fest (ironically considering how emo the art style is).

So, I've been looking forward to Persona 4, which looks pretty similar but apparently lighter in atmosphere (I think) and more plot driven for the first 90% of the game.  And then I saw this shit:

TWO ENEMIES LEFT. HANG IN THERE OKAY!.  I don't think I can play this.  That motherfucker's voice is going to drive me crazy.  It's only like $35 on Amazon.com too...

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Persona 4? Awesom....wait, WTF?!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 08:17:45 PM »
Yeah, that voice is pretty horrible.  It's not bad enough to make me not want to play the game though, I've heard worse dubs.  Hopefully there will be an option to switch to Japanese audio or to maybe turn him off.  Seeing as how options like that weren't in the 3rd one though, it seems unlikely.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 20, 2008, 11:39:27 PM »
Actually, I'm more alarmed that the awful looking character designs have me more turned off than the voice.  I'm totally not going to judge the game just based on that, but still... it looks a hell of a lot less appealing than P3.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #3 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 02:04:26 AM »
How the hell do you guys watch stuff on gametrailers? It takes a half hour to load anything thats over 30 seconds over there. Gaaaawwwwwd.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Friday, November 21, 2008, 07:53:52 AM »
 ... it does?  It's always been really fast for me.  I don't use GSpot at all anymore because there new vid player doesn't work for me.  Giant Bomb seems to have a good system for vids now, too, so I'll check their stuff out whenever they happen to have something up.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, December 09, 2008, 11:08:02 PM »
So yeah, I preordered this online and it should be here Wednesday or Thursday at the latest, can't wait to jump into it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 12:35:10 AM »
The preorder I got for Julia for Christmas arrived today.  And I'm too fucking poor to go to the store to pay the rest of it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 10, 2008, 01:48:01 AM »
The preorder I got for Julia for Christmas arrived today.  And I'm too fucking poor to go to the store to pay the rest of it.

How long do they hold those fuckers for?

On a side note, it doesn't arrive here until tomorrow (or today technically I guess).  I'm going to try to pick my parents up a DS after work (those motherfuckers were sold out everywhere on the weekend) so I'll check around for it.   I was initially going to get it off of Amazon, but fuck that.

I've been following the thread on something awful about it.  Seems there are no Aigis-type characters....this makes me happy.  It also seems like a small number of people have had problems with the disks, but this could very well be a case of otherwise out of use (And dusty) PS2s rather than the game itself.  Either way, I'm pumped and all of the changes I've heard about seem like good ideas.  I imagine I'll be throwing another 70+ hours over the next six months into this.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 07:23:43 PM »
So I've got about 5 hours play time into it right now and I'm liking it so far.  Some of the new additions are nice so far and I'm liking the new style to everything, the game has some of the charm of Persona 3 but it does its own thing so it doesn't feel like a carbon copy of P3.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 10:27:45 PM »
Well, GSpot sure likes it.  9, Editor's Choice.  This is good news, since I'm sure Julia's going to dig it if I ever get enough money to, er, buy the rest of it.  Though it's awfully nice that it's only $40.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Friday, December 12, 2008, 02:17:30 AM »
All the reviews I've seen of it are pretty high except for two from those blog-type sights.  One of which couldn't seem to get over how it's a PS2 game, the other thought it was too bright or something.    I picked it up today when I went to go buy a DS for the parents and I'm really liking it...probably far more than the first one so far.  The plot development seems better, it seems fresher, and it looks like the scheduling won't be quite as tedious.  The art style in general makes it feel like a lot more than just a repeat of P3, and it seems a little bit more twisted/disturbing so far.   I'd say that from what I've seen so far it's an improvement in basically every way (which is saying quite a bit).  I should note that I haven't gotten very far into it though. 

On a side note, that squeeky voiced bear-thing isn't nearly as bad as I thought and it's actually kind of awesome at times.  This is a huge feat for them because I took one look at that thing and was like "fuck....anime bullshit". It totally fits though.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 06:39:28 PM »
Julia should enjoy this game when you get it for her Que.  This game is awesome.  I have begun to get into the flow of the game and everything is shaping up nicely level and social link wise.  Social links seem to be much easier to get up than in P3 but the dungeons are a little more harder now because you can't heal yourself every X number of floors like in P3 and save points don't restore your HP and SP either, so you have to be a little more prepared with items and personas before you head into a dungeon.  The fact that your characters don't get tired anymore like in P3 makes leveling a bit nicer though.  I am also enjoying the music on this a little more than P3, especially in the dungeons.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 07:21:03 PM »
Awesome.  I'm actually playing P3 again and did manage to pay off the game, so she's got it now (or will at Christmas).  I think she'll be happy with it, and at least might be expecting slightly higher difficulty after getting most of the way through The Answer.

I'm really digging the 3rd game.  I liked it well enough before but didn't stick with it... now I'm for some reason really interested again.  Hopefully I'll manage to get most of the way through it this time, if not all the way.  P4 looks really interesting, and even if it's unrelated, I'd rather not go into it without giving P3 more of a chance.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 08:42:57 PM »
How far along are you Belmont?  This game killed my social life this weekend.   A few things have been changed slightly that end up altering the game drastically. For example:

-As Belmont said, you no longer get tired.  To counter this, your HP and SP don't recover in dungeons when you leave to save.  This might not seem like a big deal, but it's actually way more restrictive early game (for me at least).  SP replenishing items are hard to come by (apparently throughout the whole game), and the only other option is expensive as hell.  So now, instead of being artificially kicked out of the dungeon you have to decide if you want to keep on going and quite possibly die or call it quits early. 

-There are more social links which auto-level, but there are also more with stat requirements to either initiate or to level up.  There are also 5 stats now instead of three.  As with the first game, focus on intelligence/knowledge early.  You have exams a couple weeks in and a good score requires level three or higher knowledge + getting all the answers right.  The bonus from this is that all your school related social links gain points if you get in the top ten.

-There is literally a shit ton more to do with your spare time, and from what I've seen all of it is useful.  The side quest system is much better, fishing can get you some good items, and you will need the extra money and stats that part time jobs provide (plus they lead to new social links).

-Combat has been altered slightly and feels very different because of it.  First of all, you have the option of controlling all the characters (but you don't have to).  Second, analyze no longer reveals all the information on monsters, but rather just displays the info you've already discovered.  Far more difficult. There is only one type of physical damage now, which kind of streamlines that whole thing.  Finally, if a multi-targeted spell is cast and you manage to knock down one enemy out of however, you get another round.  This means you have to be a shitload smarter defensively as an enemy or boss can just spam attacks over and over again. 

I also highly suggest not using a guide.  I've been reading a thread on SA on the game with some useful info, but their policy of spoiler-tagging tips has kind of lead me back into beliving that the fun of these games is making your own way and strategies (this is after I gave in on P3 and went to a fusion guide in order to improve my skills at the end).  My overall strategy:  Apart from items you find in the dungeons, the hermit S-link seems to be the only way to restore your SP without losing time.  It's expensive as hell to do so, but gets cheaper as you go along.  I'm maxing this ASAP so I can try to cut down three nights spend in dungeons down to one very very long night.

Overall, better game than Persona 3 in almost every way as far as I'm concerned.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 10:19:47 PM »
How far along are you Belmont?

I am in the second dungeon and right now I am doing some leveling (all of my characters are level 19) in the first dungeon so I can get my characters a bit stronger and get some more money.  I mainly decided to do this since I barely beat the first dungeon boss on my 2nd try and because I wanted some more money. Repeating the 1st dungeon the way I am now is kind of efficient since I've got all my characters to the point where I can beat most of the monsters with physical attacks, thereby saving SP and making easy money/levels and only using my SP to heal or use the rare elemental attack.  I've got the Hermit S-link at level 2 right now and the link's character charges me anywhere from 4100-6500 yen to restore my SP.  This is sort of expensive but since I have been doing a little grinding (which probably wasn't necessary in the first place but has made things a lot easier now) I now have 55,000 yen so this option is a little more doable.  I still have a ton of stuff in my inventory to sell too so I'll have even more money when I come out of the second dungeon.  Hopefully this strategy I've developed doesn't blow up in my face, but I don't see how it could.

For anyone playing this game or thinking about it, have a backup save file or two to avoid insanity.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 11:51:46 PM »
For anyone playing this game or thinking about it, have a backup save file or two to avoid insanity.

Do you usually have a backup save in games?

I always have one, given the game type. Especially in RPG's, I always make sure to have a backup save file. It's part of the strategy - knowing when to save, when you are safe is just part of the game.

Sorry, off topic. Just wondering.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, December 14, 2008, 11:55:46 PM »
Do you usually have a backup save in games?

I always have one, given the game type. Especially in RPG's, I always make sure to have a backup save file. It's part of the strategy - knowing when to save, when you are safe is just part of the game.

Sorry, off topic. Just wondering.

Yeah I will usually have one at least in almost any JRPG I play, but this is the first game in awhile that I have found myself with multiple backup saves.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 01:21:36 AM »
I am in the second dungeon and right now I am doing some leveling (all of my characters are level 19) in the first dungeon so I can get my characters a bit stronger and get some more money.  I mainly decided to do this since I barely beat the first dungeon boss on my 2nd try and because I wanted some more money. Repeating the 1st dungeon the way I am now is kind of efficient since I've got all my characters to the point where I can beat most of the monsters with physical attacks, thereby saving SP and making easy money/levels and only using my SP to heal or use the rare elemental attack.  I've got the Hermit S-link at level 2 right now and the link's character charges me anywhere from 4100-6500 yen to restore my SP.  This is sort of expensive but since I have been doing a little grinding (which probably wasn't necessary in the first place but has made things a lot easier now) I now have 55,000 yen so this option is a little more doable.  I still have a ton of stuff in my inventory to sell too so I'll have even more money when I come out of the second dungeon.  Hopefully this strategy I've developed doesn't blow up in my face, but I don't see how it could.

That's roughly where I am, although I broke 20 a while ago.  I just teleported out of the 8th or 9th level of the second dungeon because I ran out of SP after beating the mid boss.  I would have had to leave way sooner, but I got a Death Arcana Chance and that helped out a lot. The fucking fox is pissing me off.  I'm also at level two (although I have everything ready for level three), but he want's like 30,000 to heal me, which is just over what I have.  Fuck it, I'm going to boost that as much as I can between this dungeon and the next and just try to one day all the ones after that.  I also went in partially unprepared, still using all my old gear and with like no healing items.

Have you tried the bonus boss for the first dungeon yet?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 07:42:05 AM »
This game is sounding much more difficult than P3.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 09:39:59 AM »
That's crazy GPW, I've never had the fox charge me that much or even close to it.  Are you patting his head before you ask for the heal?  I don't know if that helps or not but maybe that's why I am getting much lower amounts or I am just lucky.  Also those Death Arcana Chances are fucking awesome, I've gotten like 3 of them while I was leveling last night.  My characters are now at 23 and I am actually about to try fighting that optional boss since I just had one of those Death Arcanas restore my SP.  I tried fighting him once when I was at 18 and I almost beat him, but he did Rampage on me after a status spell I cast on him wore off and annihilated my party.  Lowering his attack and hit rate with status spells helps out a ton.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Monday, December 15, 2008, 05:44:59 PM »
Yeah, I think Rampage is the only problem with that guy.  I was extremely close to beating him when I was way underdeveloped and then he just annihilated me with it.   I tried fighting him like three times and kind of noticed that the last two times he cast it he did so right after something wore off. I didn't notice if it was the same spell wearing off or not.  It also could be pure coincidence.

As for the Fox, I think you pay by the SP point, so if all of your characters are empty it's going to cost a ton more than if just your MC is in need of SP.  I think. But you're totally right, I may not have patted his head the second time, I'll look into that.  Either way, something is up seeing as the first time I got the price for it I could  cover it, and the second time when I was actually going to use it I couldn't even though I had twice as much money.  This was later the same day.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2008, 02:13:35 AM »
Ok my theory was totally wrong.  I was broke in the real world and decided to go into the dungeon in order to make some coin.  Literally the first shuffle I hit in the second dungeon was a reversed Fortune, which might be the worst thing ever as it cuts your SP in half.  That, combined with the harder enemies on the floor I was on pretty much dictated that I'd make it two floors before being completely drained.  So, I made it to the save right before the boss and teleported out of that bitch.

The fox is definitely at 30,000 when I'm completely drained (S.link 2 or 3).  Damn.  So I went back to the first dungeon and decided to try fighting that optional boss again.  The good news is I hit an upright Fortune Chance card right before the boss so my SP is full, but all three times in a row I tried to fight him ended with him casting Rampage right away.  Like, he casts Red Wall first move every time, I get three or four moves, and he casts Rampage.  The one time the MC lived through it he cast it next turn as well.  Something is up seeing as I was able to get way further before.  Bad luck?  Hopefully.  I'm confident I can do it now if I can get it going enough to cast a few status spells on him (Ice is wicked, although he isn't actually weak to it), but I can't get to that point anymore.

Realistically, I'll probably return later.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2008, 10:11:47 AM »
Ok my theory was totally wrong.  I was broke in the real world and decided to go into the dungeon in order to make some coin.  Literally the first shuffle I hit in the second dungeon was a reversed Fortune, which might be the worst thing ever as it cuts your SP in half.  That, combined with the harder enemies on the floor I was on pretty much dictated that I'd make it two floors before being completely drained.  So, I made it to the save right before the boss and teleported out of that bitch.

The fox is definitely at 30,000 when I'm completely drained (S.link 2 or 3).  Damn.  So I went back to the first dungeon and decided to try fighting that optional boss again.  The good news is I hit an upright Fortune Chance card right before the boss so my SP is full, but all three times in a row I tried to fight him ended with him casting Rampage right away.  Like, he casts Red Wall first move every time, I get three or four moves, and he casts Rampage.  The one time the MC lived through it he cast it next turn as well.  Something is up seeing as I was able to get way further before.  Bad luck?  Hopefully.  I'm confident I can do it now if I can get it going enough to cast a few status spells on him (Ice is wicked, although he isn't actually weak to it), but I can't get to that point anymore.

Realistically, I'll probably return later.

I think you use your SP a little more than I do,  I only use SP to heal and use elemental attacks ONLY if the monsters I am fighting have a weakness against them, but I rely on physical attacks as much as possible to conserve SP while leveling. I did a good amount of leveling in the 2nd dungeon from 19-23 in one go and only used the fox once and he only charged me about 17,000.  I rarely get all 4 characters down to near or completely zero SP.  When I was 23 and I was fully healed I went and fought the optional 1st dungeon boss and kicked his ass.  I tried a different strategy of equipping a Persona that is strong against physical attacks, in this case, Eligor.  Eligor also has a defense boost spell that I could cast on everyone to help me through Rampage, it worked out nicer than trying cast spells on the boss itself.  You are right in using the ice spells, I had Chie doing that for about 100ish damage, then I had my main and Yosuke doing Bash and other special physical attacks in hopes of doing a crit which I did a few times, then I had Yukiko healing and doing attacks if everyone was healed.

Also I discovered something last night with the persona Saravasati, she has the Invigorate skill, which gives you 5 SP at the start of each round of battle,  I ran into a battle with those dice monsters and just kept guarding while my main's SP would refill with that Persona equipped since the monsters will just Stand By until their health is low, if you are really hurting for SP, it works.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, December 16, 2008, 06:21:04 PM »
Brilliant.  Generally, I try to conserve as much SP as I can by only exploiting weaknesses and healing, but the last two floors of the second dungeon have these enemies which can summon another enemy which it turn casts whatever the multi-hit darkness spell is (mamudo).   At that point the main priority becomes taking them out whenever possible.  After recieving inversed Judgement that will kill your SP quickly.  I, did, however just recently get into using the persona's physical attacks after finding them useless in P3.

Good tip for both Saravasati and Eligor.  I'll have to try to level Eligor enough to ge this spell you speak of.  I think I may have also just had some shitty luck when dealing with the King last night as well.  Rampage first round followed by rampage spamming?  Fuck no.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, December 18, 2008, 01:57:46 AM »
So, it was bad luck.  I tried again last night and just blew that motherfucker out of the water.  After this I went to fight the second boss and hammered him...just hammered him (haha?).   Now I'm just building stats and social links waiting for the third dungeon to open up.  Have you been fishing at all?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, December 18, 2008, 03:01:37 AM »
So, it was bad luck.  I tried again last night and just blew that motherfucker out of the water.  After this I went to fight the second boss and hammered him...just hammered him (haha?).   Now I'm just building stats and social links waiting for the third dungeon to open up.  Have you been fishing at all?

No, I haven't, I got the bait and hooks from the old man, but I haven't done it yet, I just finished the second dungeon and was probably going to do it soon.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, December 18, 2008, 06:47:03 PM »
Did you guys preorder this and get an art book?  I realized much too late that I didn't (because I didn't know it was supposed to come with one until the day after I picked it up), and I called my store and the guy said if he could track one down he'd call me.  Which really surprised me at first until I realized that he probably threw my number in the trash right after I hung up and won't do anything he said he'd do.

... and now I'm sad.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, December 18, 2008, 07:14:54 PM »
Did you guys preorder this and get an art book?  I realized much too late that I didn't (because I didn't know it was supposed to come with one until the day after I picked it up), and I called my store and the guy said if he could track one down he'd call me.  Which really surprised me at first until I realized that he probably threw my number in the trash right after I hung up and won't do anything he said he'd do.

... and now I'm sad.

Yeah, I got the artbook, I glanced through it but didn't look into it too much because there is a spoiler warning on the first page.  Its pretty nice for a freebie and its 100 pages.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, December 18, 2008, 07:40:29 PM »
Interested in selling it for when my Gamestop clerk inevitably fails me?  I'm partially mad because I'm a completist, and partially because this was supposed to be a gift for Julia for Christmas.  I'm also mad that I had no idea about the Amazon.com package that had the t-shirt, calendar, CD, and plushie for like 30 bucks or whatever it was.  I'd totally have gotten her that but there's no way I can afford what they want for it on ebay now.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, December 18, 2008, 07:47:41 PM »
Well, shit, I wish I had known about that Amazon package now too. FUUUUUUUUCK!

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Friday, December 19, 2008, 10:51:15 PM »
I knew about it, but Amazon.ca doesn't have the shipping option to have it at your house on release day and I had a feeling that with the holidays coming up I'd be a week or so behind.  I just picked it up instore, but no pre-order so no art book.  I usually don't care about that kind of stuff, but the little one that came with non-FES P3 was actually pretty cool.

Aparently there are like 4 endings and the main choice for them is nowhere near as obvious as it was in P3.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: Monday, December 29, 2008, 04:56:49 AM »
Man, the July/August dungeon has an AWESOME visual style and music. 

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: Monday, December 29, 2008, 11:33:16 AM »
Man, the July/August dungeon has an AWESOME visual style and music. 

Hahaha yeah, I just finished that dungeon myself (the boss for that dungeon is great too) and I'm now in early August with about 53 hours of playtime.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 05:27:17 PM »
Yeah, the music is just as good as P3.  Void Quest actually has my favorite dungeon soundtrack so far just because it's so freaking catchy.

Hahaha yeah, I just finished that dungeon myself (the boss for that dungeon is great too) and I'm now in early August with about 53 hours of playtime.

Wow, you're way ahead of me at this point.  I'm just at the start of that dungeon with like 35 hours or so (I think).  My hermit S-link is on level 9 now (hint: hold on to any huge fish you come across) and the SP healing costs nothing now.  I think it was so high mid-link before because the price changes depending on the mood of the fox.  If he growls at you, don't bother.

As for this game being harder than P3, I don't think so. I think it starts off harder, but things get stacked in your favor quickly.  Has Julia started playing it at all?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 08:06:21 PM »
Sadly, no.

Ugh.  The drama.  So I told you that my clerk said he'd try to track down an art book for me, but of course I knew that was probably a lost cause, and it was.  So I went online trying to see if I could find it for a reasonable price, and while I did find it for $10 one night, I fucking missed the end of the auction because of Guild Wars.  So that was out.  Eventually the only thing I really found was a new copy of the game with the art book and a fairly spiffy yellow promo t-shirt for $50 including shipping, which wasn't a bad deal at all considering.  So now she's waiting for that to get delivered and then I'll take back the other game to the store.  I'm pretty sure I could just let her open this copy and take back the other one, but I don't want to risk it since for all I know the wrap might be different or there might be something funny, so since she's got other stuff to try and finish up in the interim, it seems prudent to wait.

I did, however, get her the most... uh, awesomely unromantic anniversary present ever.

A little on the expensive side, but considering it seems to be sold out most places hence generally going for... way too much, I managed to do well finding it on sale for like $60.  It may not be the pinnacle of romance, but she's going to love it.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 08:36:16 PM »
God dammit, fuck you Que, why did you have to show me that?  Now I have to get it.

Edit: Well shit, its sold out, so nevermind, and like you said other places are charging way too much for it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, December 30, 2008, 08:55:30 PM »
Well, they are kinda' still selling them here.  So I don't know if that means you hate me more or less now.

Offline wizall

« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, January 07, 2009, 09:48:20 PM »
Rather than making a new thread about Person 3, I thought I'd just lump it in here:

I just started 3 today, finally, and I'm enjoying it, but there's quite a bit thrown at you at first. 

You have any very general tips that might save me some hassle?  (General, as in no spoilers.)  For instance, should I try to fuse personas early on or get as many as I can and then decide? 

And what about all this S.Link biz and its accompanying attributes (e.g. charm, courage, academics, etc.) 

Not trying to cheat here, but there are a few things in these sorts of long games I wish I would have known early on.

But so far, about two hours in, it's pretty sweet.

Thanks, guys.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, January 07, 2009, 11:42:45 PM »
I don't really know about general tips.  You just have to balance everything.  If you're tired, you need to rest (don't bother staying up to study when tired, you'll fail and gain nothing).  If you don't hang out with a social link character for a month -- I think -- you'll piss them off and lose points.  You don't have to rush through the dungeon, but you don't want to dick around too much because the game does ultimately have a time limit, so you want to make steady progress.

As for fusing... you'll get a feel for it.  It's handy in the beginning, when you can fuse much better ones than what you find.  And since you'll find those basic ones again as you go, you'll keep fusing here and there, get more, fuse more, get more, until you're basically out of valid combos.  It won't take you very long.  Then when you get to a new area and find a new persona, your opportunities open up again and you'll start fiddling with it again.