Author Topic: Rechargeable batteries?  (Read 5821 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Rechargeable batteries?
« on: Sunday, November 23, 2008, 06:41:47 PM »
I've got a Maxell Ni-MH & Ni-Cd charger for AA batteries, but the ones I got with it are starting to die.  Can you use any brand of nickel-metal hydride battery in these things, or do they have to be the same brand?  Also, does the capacity matter?  The ones that came with this are 1600mAh, but I see Energizer has rechargeables at 2500mAh... can I still use those and they just last longer?

Any help appreciated.  I've never used these things other than the set that I bought a few years back to use in my CD player.  Now I'm using them for the Wii remotes because the rechargeable packs I got for those are shit (they came with the used Wii I bought, and I think the people didn't charge them properly the first time, because they don't hold a charge for more than a half hour).

EDIT - I should mention that the reason I ask is that I can't seem to find Maxell batteries on the market anywhere, so I'm guessing they stopped making them.  But I don't want to have to buy a new charger if I can help it.  This one works fine and I like the design.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Rechargeable batteries?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, November 23, 2008, 11:00:24 PM »
Use the same *type* batteries with the charger intended for them, just to be safe.  Brand doesn't matter.  Capacity shouldn't matter.

Oh, and never mix batteries of different capacities, different ages, or even different brands.  Keep them paired up.

Edit:  I use NiMH for the Wii remote.  I ping-pong between 2 pairs (charge one while using the other).  NiCads are shit because they develop a memory.  Charge them wrong once, and they'll last a lot less after that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Rechargeable batteries?
« Reply #2 on: Monday, November 24, 2008, 12:27:33 AM »
Thanks Cobra.  I knew most of that, just not whether brands would throw a fit in another charger.  Maybe some of the earlier models did and that's what I was thinking of, I don't know.  But I'll just grab some Energizers and toss 'em in this thing... problem solved.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野