Author Topic: Been having trouble finding stuff to listen to.  (Read 3186 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Been having trouble finding stuff to listen to.
« on: Monday, December 01, 2008, 04:15:43 PM »
Well, I can't find anything new that I like. So, when this happens I start listening to older stuff. So, I started listening to Tom Waits, which is always good, no matter what. The Clash, The Ramones, The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, Stranglers, stuff like that. Well, I found something that I forgot about.

Screaming Jay Hawkins - I am the Cool

This shit is my theme song!

Anyway, I was hoping you guys have some suggestions.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Been having trouble finding stuff to listen to.
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 01, 2008, 06:30:55 PM »
Not really.  All I've been listening to lately is jazz, though I've had a rather screaming urge to listen to some metal.  In fact, I listened to most of Meshuggah's Chaosphere today.  Ten years and still sharp enough to cut.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, December 02, 2008, 08:43:45 PM »
Ahh, Meshuggah is dope.

My taste are really really varied at the moment. Been listening to heavy stuff, and then old blues, some old school hip-hop, you know? back when it was good....

Spoonin Gee Rap(1979)

My favorite rap line ever--"I took me a look, I said La-di-da-di, a big fine girl, she had a hell of a booody!"

Hip-hop needs to go back to this. One guy playing the bass, the other playing the drums, and just some guy rapping.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, December 02, 2008, 08:49:29 PM »

Made a thread on them but I don't think that anyone's heard of them here. Also, terrible quality but it's the best I've got.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, December 02, 2008, 09:23:57 PM »
I've heard of them. But I haven't heard this song. I'm digging it. Sweet.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, December 02, 2008, 09:33:43 PM »
Yeah, the entire album is really good. Make sure to check out "Love Dog", it'll give you an idea of how diverse the album is.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, December 03, 2008, 10:09:32 AM »
I found something that's new to me, but is actually 14 years old: Portishead's Dummy album, which I think is their debut.  Never heard of the band until a conversation about theremin emulation with a Wii remote brought out a link to "Mysterons", the lead track.  It isn't really a theremin played there either, though the story goes that the band went on to use one in live performances.  I like the whole album now.  There isn't a single stinker on here.  I guess this would be called trip-hop?  It ranges from jazzy to electronic, with a lovely female vocalist present over the whole thing.  It reminds me a bit of Supreme Beings of Leisure, though I guess if there was any imitation, it would be the other way around.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, December 03, 2008, 07:27:22 PM »
Ah, Portishead.  I miss them.  Get their other album as well, Cobra.  I forget which is the one I like better, but I'm pretty sure it's the 2nd one.  Either way, one is infinitely superior to the other, I think, but both are unique and cool.  Yes, it would be trip-hop, though it's not exactly like some of the other bands you'll find that call themselves that (Moloko, Morcheeba, Thievery Corporation -- 2).  It's a little more jazzy and stuff, a little darker, which I think is what I like about it so much.

But yeah, I'd be curious to hear more of what you think of their other album.  I really need to get those on my MP3 player again.

EDIT - Amazingly, they have a third album out!  It's called... uh, Third.  Their 2nd was self-titled.  Apparently it's a little different from their past stuff, and less trip-hoppy, which I guess could be bad... we'll have to see.  It's the first thing they've done in... what, 10 years?  These people aren't exactly what you'd call "active" under the banner of this group.
« Last Edit: Thursday, December 04, 2008, 01:48:02 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, December 04, 2008, 11:57:50 AM »
I saw that, about Third.  I got interested in the group and looked up bios and discographies.  I guess I'll have to give that and Portishead (the album) a listen sometime.  Right now "Roads" is giving me goose bumps.  From oblivious indifference to a new favorite overnight.  Don't you love the internet?

I got some Thievery Corporation too, not that long ago.  I'll have to play that too and compare.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, December 04, 2008, 08:54:35 PM »
Fun fact - "Seven Months" is what I used as a musical backdrop for the silly little "practice trailer" I did for my book, which is still floating around on YouTube somewhere.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, December 07, 2008, 05:46:38 PM »
The Mirror Conspiracy is the Thievery Corporation album I have.  I really do like it. Now I can't remember if I edited out any rap crap.  I'll have to look at the printed TOC.  The 13 tracks I have here are groovy, baby, groovy.