I'm burning through this one pretty fast, mostly because I'm enjoying it so much. The "easy" difficulty doesn't bother me at all. You still have to be on your games to get through areas and beat the different fights.
To add to this, I liked as the game progressed, if felt like there were more challenging LONG few minute runs where you had no remotely close flat-ground spaces for Elika to toss you somewhere relativelty close, but you got sent much further back.
I also like the minimal amount of fighting involved. If there is one thing I totally hated in the other PoP games, it was the combat. Not only was it generally bad, but there seemed to be a lot of it. This one it stays out of your way and lets you platform all over the place.
I liked the whole rhythm of the combat -- and that some of them had a little bit of a puzzle to beating the enemies, too.
I hope they keep this combat style next time around and deepen it, myself.
If I had a complaint its, oddly, the level design. The level design is good, presents a nice challenge, its pretty, etc. It just doesn't make any sense in real world context. In Sands of Time you ran around the giant palace and while some things didn't make sense in that regard, you still got the feeling it was one large building that people actually used. In the new PoP...no one used this place. There aren't any stairs or even places where stairs used to be. Everyone had to be a crazy magical acrobat to get around. These levels were built for pure gameplay. And thats totally cool, it just takes a little something away from it for me.
Other than that, I couldnt be happier.
You're right -- that the whole gameworld was basically built for gameplay; nothing else. No way any of these areas would look like this, in a real world capacity. It feels like a gamer's playground -- and looks like one.
There's also this very magical quality of the game, with the way everything looks and of course with the usage of the cel-shaded part -- it never really struck me that this game could be anything remotely real. There's this whole world is falling apart and in ruins b/c of the corrupt forces surrounding everything, too -- that also adds to this.
Oh! I wanted to say how amazing this no DRM thing is for the PC version. Ubi went all out. Install and run. No online registration, no disc needed in the drive, and the most amazing...no CD key to type in. None. I couldnt believe it, and it made me so happy. Kudos to them for that.
Amen. I wish more publishers did that.
It's a damn shame the game didn't sell so spectacular on the PC side, though.
And a damn shame we won't be getting any DLC anytime soon.
Again, I hope Ubi changes their mind on that, since I loved PoP 2008...
****PoP 2008 ENDING + Some Additional Stuff spoilers****
***IDOL, read this AFTER you finish the game....*****
[spoiler]...And since they kind of left it hanging with Elika dying and the whole Tree of Life thing there and him dragging her out of Temple with the Credits rolling...
...And then after the Credits rolling and he's standing in front of those "trees" and if you figured out those "tree" puzzles there, you can revive her and it leaves the game hanging right then and there...
I'm sure the DLC Epilogue, which takes place after that, is going to be very important to finishing this hanging thread...[/spoiler]