Author Topic: "Selling" religion door-to-door  (Read 1509 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
"Selling" religion door-to-door
« on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 10:06:27 AM »
This can't possibly a productive use of time. How many people say "Yes, please come into my home and tell me about the Lord! I am intrigued!"? Especially when you've just woken them up, like the nice lady did to me today.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: "Selling" religion door-to-door
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 11:17:45 AM »
It does more for the church than for them or you. If they're going door to door it's something they can take note of and say "Bob is working hard trying to spread the word, and is therefore a devoted follower". but yea, I have trouble believing they get any interest like that.

Though I did once have these 2 cute Mormon chicks show up on my doorstep while I was in college. I should have invited them in.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »
Yeah, I've never understood the concept.  Even as a religious person, it just doesn't make sense to me.  I understand that many people are indeed genuinely caring and they do it out of a debatably misguided internal desire to help and serve others, but to me it just seems like swinging a bat in the dark, hoping that you'll hit something.  In my mind it makes more sense to simply try to live according to the principles you believe in, and let people know that's where you're coming from... but you don't have to drive the point home by going out to someone's home.  If there's an opportunity where sharing with a friend or associate seems relevant, fine, and if you're open about what you believe, anyone interested might come to you to ask about the principles you live by, but trying to "sell" it just seems like a foreign concept to me.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 03:08:35 PM »
Especially when you've just woken them up, like the nice lady did to me today.
If she was a "nice lady", she wouldn't have woken you and rang your doorbell or knocked on your door.