Author Topic: I bought a MP3 player  (Read 6879 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
I bought a MP3 player
« on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 07:08:25 PM »
And its none of the models I was even looking at. Its a RCA H106, a 6GB hd based player. Its about as basic as it gets, plays MP3, WMA, and Audible, a 12-16 hour battery life, monochrome screen. Thats about it. All the reviews say its a decent player that just lacks features.

However, I only paid $42 for it brand new on clearence at Target (normally $170). I figured...hell, I can always give it to my mom when I decide I want something with more to it. For now, it should work well enough.

Offline ren

• Veteran
Re: I bought a MP3 player
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 07:10:57 PM »
What's Audible playback?

That hard drive is probably worth more than $42.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 07:12:07 PM »
Seems like a good enough deal.  I'm not a fan of the RCA brand though.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 07:24:26 PM »
Audible is a site that sells books on tape. Download and listen on your player. I guess its fairly popular since Ive noticed a lot of players support its format.

I cant say I am or am not a fan of RCA. I just saw a cheap player and figured what the hell.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 08:04:17 PM »
That's a great deal, even if it blows up a year from now (provided it doesn't kill or mame you in the explosion). In my experience the simpliest MP3 players have been my favorite. Don't give me gimmicks or a color screen. I just want to find what I want to hear, a good shuffle mode, and plenty of space. Is that too much to ask?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 08:15:05 PM »
Yeah, simplicity is where it's at for me as well.  I can't say I'm unhappy with my Creative MuVo TxFM.   It's small enough, has decent storage (really, 512mb is all I really need for the amount of time I'm not near a stereo or in a car), has an fm tuner, has a screen to navigate with and the battery lasts forever. 

I've thought about getting a Creative Zen Vision: M a lot.  Mainly for the video playback and increased storage space, but the more I think about it, the more it's just like throwing money away.  I probably will one day because I could just load it up with video files for when I'm in my car waiting for people at work or staying at my parent's place, but it'll probably be a while before I even do it.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 08:17:52 PM »
That's a great deal, even if it blows up a year from now (provided it doesn't kill or mame you in the explosion). In my experience the simpliest MP3 players have been my favorite. Don't give me gimmicks or a color screen. I just want to find what I want to hear, a good shuffle mode, and plenty of space. Is that too much to ask?

Right, now I do.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 08:24:18 PM »
That was pretty cheap.  I don't really like RCA, but it was still a pretty good deal.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 11, 2006, 08:27:56 PM »
I have th 1 gig, Creative Zen Nano. I love it. I can record thing onto it from any output. It has a mic. It has an FM raidio, which I can also record using the player. Software bundle is great, easy and very fuctional. I can store other files on it besides music. It plays lots of different file types. Battery life is like 20 hours or so, on one AAA battery. It was worth every single cent of the $70 I spent for it.