Author Topic: The Wizard  (Read 19268 times)

Offline W7RE

  • Post-aholic
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
The Wizard
« on: Monday, February 23, 2009, 10:06:16 AM »
I remember loving this movie when I was a kid, and I just watched it for the first time in probably over a decade. It was cool in a sort of nostalgic kind of way, but most of it was just painful to watch. Bad acting and constant ridiculousness. One thing it does that pretty much no TV show or movie did at the time though, was that it's fairly accurate in its display of games. I lost count on how many times I've seen Doom or Wolfenstein with digital bleeps and bloops. I think I once saw Doom with Wolfenstein music and sound effects.

EDIT: Actually I don't even know if the kid is supposed to have autism. He acts like it, shutting himself off from the outside world and then excelling at the one thing he focuses on. But isn't Autism something you're born with? In this movie, the kid is shut off until the point where he can "say goodbye" and leave his lunchbox behind, then he seems normal. I can't believe it, Hollywood has found the cure for Autism!!

















Anyway, apparently Toby Macguire makes has a small part in the movie. He's one of Lucas's crew (far left in pink):

Offline Cobra951

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8,934
Re: The Wizard
« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 23, 2009, 11:15:01 AM »
Satellite or cable, right?  I started to watch it last night, and even made it through the Double Dragon bit.  But the movie took on a stupid dramatic element I couldn't stomach, so I changed the channel.  I've never watched it before either.

Offline W7RE

  • Post-aholic
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
Re: The Wizard
« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 23, 2009, 01:04:25 PM »
Yea it was on DirectTV. If I hadn't seen it and liked it when I was young, I don't think I would have made it to the end either.

Offline angrykeebler

  • Veteran
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,717
Re: The Wizard
« Reply #3 on: Monday, February 23, 2009, 02:59:02 PM »
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

  • 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 16,500
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: The Wizard
« Reply #4 on: Monday, February 23, 2009, 09:43:39 PM »
Heh, I saw that like 10 years ago. Watched it not long ago again, it was kind of fun.  A little silly, yes, but nostalgic as all get out.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8,934
Re: The Wizard
« Reply #5 on: Monday, February 23, 2009, 11:02:41 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya0F83Bmbl4

so good

From there I found the last 10 minutes of the movie, which is a SMB 3 competition.  There's like a 30-sec old commercial for Mario games at the end.

Offline scottws

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6,610
    • Facebook Me
Re: The Wizard
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 05:36:36 AM »
Haha, this movie was like one big Nintendo commercial.

Does anyone remember the original Zelda commercial?  It had weird lighting and a even weirder guy going "Tek-tek-tek-tektites!" among other things?  I remember it actually turned me off to the game, before I knew anything about it.

Offline W7RE

  • Post-aholic
  • *****
  • Posts: 2,780
Re: The Wizard
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 08:34:38 AM »
You mean this one?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoXb7PIJYmA

Nerdy Zelda rap is good too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtuK4CU3ko

Don't forget the liva action Link to the Past dance commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6HY6hIiAWc

Offline Quemaqua

  • 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • *
  • Posts: 16,500
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: The Wizard
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 06:58:53 PM »
I watched all of those, and right now I'm covered in blood from stabbing my ears with ice picks.  Thanks.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

  • Gold Member
  • *
  • Posts: 6,610
    • Facebook Me
Re: The Wizard
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 08:52:26 PM »
You mean this one?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoXb7PIJYmA
OMG that's the one!  Who ever thought a commercial like this would be a good idea?  Even as a kid it creeped me out.

Nerdy Zelda rap is good too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtuK4CU3ko
This reminds me of that really old Windows promo.  Amazingly, the Zelda one manages to be better.

Don't forget the liva action Link to the Past dance commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6HY6hIiAWc
As bad as that was, it was by far the best of the bunch!