Author Topic: Up  (Read 4574 times)

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Up
« on: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 07:27:31 PM »
Go see it. I cannot say enough good things about this film. My favourite Pixar film ever!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Up
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 08:02:04 PM »
I saw it today too and also liked it, but it is definitely not my favorite.  It's actually a very emotional film, and I don't even know if it is all that kid-friendly.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 08:39:07 PM »
I really want to see this.  Did you catch it in 3D?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 08:40:52 PM »
I want to see this but I will probably wait for it to come out on blu-ray.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 09:46:01 PM »
I did watch it in 3D but I wasn't too impressed by it.. Seems like it would be just as good without
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 10:33:46 PM »
I don't really get the 3D thing.  It seems like such a useless gimmick but is still all the rage lately.  Maybe it's just me, but it seems it usually doesn't add much and is just kind of distracting.  I don't know.

That said, I'm pretty curious about this flick.  Julia gets to see it before me, though.  She and her folks are going sometime this week.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 10:53:26 PM »
It's fine for those amusement park "Movies" where shit is flying at you on the screen but yeah I agree with you. There was none of that in Up and halfway through the movie I was thinking to myself "Why is this in 3D?"
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, May 31, 2009, 11:38:36 PM »
They've purposely gotten away from the roller-coaster mentality of earlier 3D work.  They do 3D for the same reason movies went widescreen and multi-track surround, then even wider screen: to attract people to the theater, to see something they can't see at home.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 05:12:11 AM »
I don't really get the 3D thing.  It seems like such a useless gimmick but is still all the rage lately.  Maybe it's just me, but it seems it usually doesn't add much and is just kind of distracting.  I don't know.
I'm completely with you.  It would be one thing if you were watching a movie, only it is in 3D.  But they don't make them that way.  There always has to be a sword shoved in your face or a rock hurled your way.  I hate it.  They don't do it as much lately, but there is always at least one of these stupid gimmicks happening.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 05:17:42 AM »
I don't mind the 3D so much as long as it's good enough not to obstruct a good story. I think of it as the "new claymation."

In the end it's just a medium and if Pixar are especially skilled with it then why not?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 11:45:39 AM »
The medium is still the same.  All they're doing is rendering each frame twice with the virtual camera positions offset horizontally (like our eyes).  But no one has figured out how to display the result without you having to wear something on your face.  The best method I know of involves 2 projectors somehow polarized differently, with polarized lenses on the viewer's eyes to match.  I read that this movie uses a different process, with a single projector.  If it's done by screwing with the colors, then frankly I'd prefer the standard 2D projection.

Scott, I haven't seen this yet, so I don't know firsthand about swords shoved in your face.  I only read that they had steered clear of such gimmicks.  Was there a lot of this kind of thing?  One specific thing I remember reading was that they wanted the screen to be like a window, and not a door for stuff to come out and fly in your face.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #11 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 12:30:10 PM »
I saw Up in 2D, so I can't speak for it.  I was speaking towards every other 3D movie that exists.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »
Oh yeah, good lord if they were anaglyhpic (stereoscopic 3D) films then I'd rather not see them at all. Even after about a couple of minutes looking through Red/Cyan 3D glasses at a static anaglyph my colour vision gets screwed! I spend the next 20 minutes with right eye seeing everything reddish and my left one seeing greenish/bluish.

I've only been to the IMAX theatre once when I was in Niagara Falls. It was funky. Got to watch a documentary on the Nile. The entire theatre was on a mechanical platform too, so it physically moved with the view to add that extra pzazz of excitement.

Nvidia have been trying to bring the 3D view to PC games with their new wireless 3D Vision kit. It supposedly doesn't affect the colours. According to reviews it doesn't work with everything but when it does it's incredible. For $199, I don't know if I'd say it's worth it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Monday, June 01, 2009, 04:49:35 PM »
I just think it's stupid.  It's got nothing to do with gimmicky use of stuff like explosions flying out at you and wondering, I just don't feel anything at all is added to the film by a bit of strange, unnatural depth perception that usually just feels out of place.  If there were some great reason to make the switch I'd say fine, I just haven't seen anything indicating such.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, June 11, 2009, 07:07:11 PM »
That was great. Really, really good. Possibly the best Pixar movie. It's been a while since I've seen a lot of them so take that with a grain of salt.

Parts of it had me laughing so hard I was almost in tears. The first 15 minutes were just amazing. I've heard from a lot of people it was a tearjerker and now I understand why.

I saw it in 2D but I heard 3D was good too. It's not like the old 3D movies and it's just little subtle things. Like things in the background might be moving a little just to draw your attention to it. Some people said it's like colour tv, you don't really notice it but it adds a little something. I want to see it in 3D to verify that statement.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, June 11, 2009, 07:25:19 PM »
I forgot to mention I saw this and loved it.  I think this and Wall-E are my two favorite Pixar movies without question, but which I like more is hard to say.  They're quite different.

And yes, I cried like a woman or small child.  Not as much as when I saw Big Fish, but it was still pretty bad.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, June 11, 2009, 09:13:27 PM »
There's a big difference between the crying of a woman and a small child. When little kids cry, it can get really, really loud. Women can do that too but as far as generalizations go, kids have them beat in the noise department.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Monday, June 29, 2009, 01:43:24 PM »
Just watched Up and I loved it :)

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, July 01, 2009, 06:41:31 PM »
I've wanted to see this for awhile.. then the story of that little girl seeing it before dying made me want to see it even more.  i'll be posting again.
Taken.