Author Topic: Heavy Rain  (Read 20088 times)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
Re: Heavy Rain
« Reply #40 on: Monday, February 22, 2010, 02:23:44 PM »
My copy of the game should be arriving by the end of this week.  I've gotta hurry and finish up Mass Effect 2.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #41 on: Monday, February 22, 2010, 11:01:18 PM »
My copy is in the store already.  Can pick it up tomorrow.  Won't have an apartment to play it in until this weekend, though, and that isn't likely to be the first thing I do upon getting in there.  Who knows, though.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 12:10:13 AM »
My copy should be at the store tomorrow. :P

Not sure if I will give this priority over the few other games already waiting, but I might considering it seems to be a very different kind of experience

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 05:12:48 PM »
Still isn't here. I hear the game will make you sob. I want to play!

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 06:54:47 PM »
Yea my copy isn't here either.  I should be getting it tomorrow or Friday. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 11:52:22 PM »
I have read the manual.  Hooray?  Won't be able to play for a few days at least, yet, but I do get the key to the new apartment tomorrow, so anything is possible.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #46 on: Friday, February 26, 2010, 08:34:34 AM »
I picked it up today. The shop I go to, got them in stock about 5 minutes before my arrival. There was a huge stack and half were gone by the time I was done buying... it was crazy.

Also, why does North America get the shittiest cover? I don't understand how North American audiences are consistently underestimated. We've seen a lot of movies over the past few decades have their names changed to sound simpler for North America (Executive Decision changed to Executive Orders, Philosopher's Stone changed to Sorcerer's Stone etc), and now I've been noting that a lot of games that have cool artistic covers in Europe/Asia, end up with generic videogamy versions in NA.

It is pretty baseless a thing to do. It could be that North America is the biggest audience (in terms of numbers and money), and they want to capture everyone possible.

US version:

Japanese version:

Asian version:

European version is identical to the Asian version:

I got the Asian version. I know the Japanese version is censored, but I don't think the Asian version is... at least I hope not, because I would take a shitty cover without censorship any day.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #47 on: Friday, February 26, 2010, 10:48:34 AM »
Yeah, there have been comparisons between Japanese and US game covers before, and it's pretty much always the case that the US covers are lousy, market-driven BS while the Japanese covers actually look interesting or have some sort of artistic merit.  Obviously it's not always the case, but generally speaking.  I don't know how Asian versions usually compare, though.  I think a lot of times they just have the cover of the NA or JP versions, don't they?

I wonder why the JP version was censored.  Do you know what it is they took out or whatever?  Usually it's the NA version that gets censored.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #48 on: Friday, February 26, 2010, 10:52:02 AM »
Agreed on cover art.  The North American version usually is the crappiest.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #49 on: Friday, February 26, 2010, 11:01:43 AM »

I wonder why the JP version was censored.  Do you know what it is they took out or whatever?  Usually it's the NA version that gets censored.
Haha imagine some of the Origami figures were too offensive for Japanese eyes!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #50 on: Friday, February 26, 2010, 11:03:01 AM »
The Asian cover is the Origami one, same as the European version. I guess the Asian market is the smallest, so they realize they might as well appeal to the most hardcore.

The Jap versions of mature European games typically censor the more adult themes, which is so odd when you consider how tentacle rape hentai is popular in Japan.

Haha imagine some of the Origami figures were too offensive for Japanese eyes!

No he is talking about censorship in the actual game, and not the cover art.

edit:

I should mention that censorship in a game like this disappoints me only because any form of censorship in game like this takes away from the artistic vision of the game's developers. Furthermore, I don't want to feel like I am missing out on something.

Censorship in a game like say Dragon Age wouldn't bother me, but the adult themes in a game like Heavy Rain are a small piece of the package that are an integral part of the game's identity.

Do you know what it is they took out or whatever?  Usually it's the NA version that gets censored.

Not sure, but I saw on several threads that gamers were reporting the Jap. version was censored.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 26, 2010, 12:15:54 PM by Pugnate »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: Friday, February 26, 2010, 11:49:55 AM »
I ran across a story about freezing and crashing issues with the game while surfing around earlier.  Not sure how widespread it is.  Just a heads up, particularly the part about waiting a while after a freeze before rebooting, because the game might be in the process of writing to the save file.  Otherwise you may end up with a corrupted save.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #52 on: Friday, February 26, 2010, 12:08:53 PM »
My copy arrived today.  I'll probably start playing it tonight.

Installing now -- the game comes with a square piece of paper that is used for origami.  There are instructions during the installation to make the origami figure you see in the box art.  That's pretty cool.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 26, 2010, 01:25:31 PM by iPPi »

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #53 on: Friday, February 26, 2010, 10:30:53 PM »
I've put some time into it (I'm not sure how much, but I think I'm still fairly early in the game) and it's really quite good.  Obviously it's a very different type of game so it's probably not for everyone, but if you're looking for a great story and interesting characters, this is a really good candidate.

It starts slow, but it isn't boring, which I found interesting.  Before the game came out I saw the first 8-10 minutes of gameplay and thought it was very boring but would hope for it to pick up.  When I'm actually playing it, it isn't boring at all and you feel compelled to continue and find out what happens next, even if the story is moving slowly at the start.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #54 on: Friday, February 26, 2010, 10:44:42 PM »
Damn it.  I really want to play.  Going to have to move my bed and TV within the next couple days... I guess then maybe I'll be able to give it a couple hours here or there.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 12:01:59 AM »
I wanted to put in some time last night, but was too lazy and went to sleep instead. I'll play in a few hours as today is a holiday.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #56 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 01:39:10 AM »
I just played the demo. It's pretty interesting, I'm not so sure I'm into the controls that much, just doing complex button presses to do simple tasks just seems weird and doesn't connect to me so much on how it affects anything in a gameplay sense. But the tone and presentation really appeals to me, it's got that Se7en vibe to it so I may just pick it up anyway down the line.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 02:03:18 AM »
I just popped it in and it is downloading a 226 MB patch.

I suspect the patch has to do with what Cobro posted.

What I don't get is why console patches are so massive. Obviously 226MB isn't massive, but for a simple fix, it is.

PC patches are normally 10 to 50 MB unless they are conducting some major repair work. I remember the Little Big Planet patches were easily a few GBs, which again, I found senseless. It took me all day to download them.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #58 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 05:12:10 AM »
The game is pretty awesome so far. It is like an adventure game for a new generation. I've just finished the prologue portion, and it has been deliberately paced and gripping.

I actually didn't stop to write a little report, but the maid is here so I have to pause for a bit. :P

All the little stuff you do, you actually feel like it is *you* doing it, because the control patterns you have to execute are very involving. Nothing has been overly difficult to execute either. The only complaint I have till now is that while it definitely feels like a game, it doesn't feel *enough* like a game. The reason is that there doesn't seem to be any action so far that can be failed, which makes it feel a little like an interactive movie, though not nearly as much as I had feared.... See More

Of course I could be feeling this for a wide variety of reasons. Either I am just too good at executing the various control stuff (unlikely, considering how little I play console games), or since this is the prologue part, they've deliberately given you limitless mulligans.

Anyway, I am loving Heavy Rain. The voice acting has been good, and the game has created an emotional resonance with its characters and surroundings very quickly. This has been partially due to the excellent soundtrack, but mainly because the characters you interact with feel so human.

I know I've only played the prologue (took about 40 minutes), but I can already say that this game is worth a play.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #59 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 01:22:45 PM »
Sorry for my third post in a row, but this game is fucking awesome.

I think I am almost done with this, and it has been pretty fantastic. It is almost like a cross between the movies Se7en, Saw, and something from Pulp Fiction.

I can recall at least five different scenes where I had been holding my breath and my heart was pumping.

This game has moments of genuine horror.

I don't mean horror as in the crap that took place in the Saw sequels, but genuine I am afraid for my life type of horror.

Really, this is a must play for PS3 owners. What a great game.

Yes this game will make you tense, but in the good way, and not in the Dead Space sorta way.

edit:

I think the key is that any character you control can die, and there is no going back, so when you are scrambling for your life, you know you have to get it right.

Wait till you guys come across the evil doctor scene. muhahahahaha.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #60 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
I completely agree.  There are some seriously intense sequences.  I think I too am nearing the end, but I will likely go through multiple times to find out how the game changes depending on the difference choices you make.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #61 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 01:27:49 PM »
We definitely have to discuss this game once we are both done. :)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #62 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 11:51:37 PM »
Damn you people.  Hopefully I'll be able to give it a little time in the next few days.  Looks like TV should hit new apartment tomorrow, and PS3 is there already.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 08:35:59 AM »
I am at a chapter called "Fish Tank", which is close to the end of the game and it keeps FREEZING at the same part. Yes, I installed the patch before starting the game and it has frozen three times at the exact same portion. The biggest problem is that I can't restart the game because I've already put in ten hours and this isn't the sort of game you play through again.

edit:

OK easy way around it... I found the chapters menu. :P :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #64 on: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 09:35:21 AM »
FUCK THIS FUCKING STUPID SHIT!

I installed the patch yes, but the game kept crashing at chapter 40. I tried again and now the save file is GONE.

WTF!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #65 on: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 09:58:48 AM »
Damn, that sucks.  What version of the game are you playing?  Anyone else having the same problem?  Or is this the same problem that was reported prior to the patch?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #67 on: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 10:22:21 AM »
I made it past the 'Fish Tank' chapter with no problems.  My game froze once during the 'Twins' chapter though. 

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #68 on: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 10:25:44 AM »
I've restarted the game and will try to rush through it tonight, but yea it is just b.s.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #69 on: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 01:47:27 PM »
I finished it up a couple minutes ago.  Really good game throughout.  Like the reviews though, there are some glaring plot holes and detract from the overall story, especially as it comes to an end.

(click to show/hide)

I'm going to go through some of the scenes again to do things differently or play through making different choices to see how it affects the ending.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 10:02:23 PM »
FUCK THIS FUCKING STUPID SHIT!

I installed the patch yes, but the game kept crashing at chapter 40. I tried again and now the save file is GONE.

WTF!

Yeah, that's what I was trying to warn you guys about.  A freeze apparently can be caused by some problem writing to the save file.  The official advice is to wait for several minutes after a freeze before rebooting, in the hope the code would finish the write.  Otherwise, the save file becomes trash.  Yes, it's absolute bullshit, but there is no legalized burning at the stake for releasing buggy games yet.  So what are you going to do?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #71 on: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 11:36:33 PM »
Cobra, I actually heeded that advise. I waited for 15 minutes while I walked around the house for a bit.

I've been postion on the PS3 EU forums, and since I posted what happened four other people talked about the same thing happening to them.

Worse is there is another 60 page thread regarding just the freezes.

It is a pity, because the game is really good. Problem is that it isn't the type of game meant to be played again from the beginning.

While the first few chapters are fantastic the first time because the story is unfolding, they are almost mind numbing to play through again with the novelty worn off. I restarted the game in an obsessive effort last night, and played for about three hours. I got to the more intense parts, and it finally started to feel better.

Anyway, I will continue to give it another shot. Hope to god it doesn't die on me a second time.

edit:

What is really stupid is that there is only one save slot. This sorta thing happens many a time on the PC, but you have several saves to go to.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: Monday, March 01, 2010, 07:01:19 AM »
One save slot is pathetic.  Fallout 3 has frozen on me several times now, but since I can save at any time to as many slots as I want (I use about a dozen) *and* the game autosaves on every area transition, it has yet to be more than a mild annoyance.  I also copy my latest save out to a memory card after each session, just for extra obsessive data safety.  So it isn't possible to safeguard your save in any way?  That sucks.

I had no idea if what I posted would help, since I don't have the game (or a way to play it).  Just passing along what I had read.  Sorry it didn't work.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #73 on: Monday, March 01, 2010, 09:53:59 AM »
Actually it was thoughtful of you to pass that info. I am playing it a second time and I will again try to be careful.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, March 02, 2010, 08:57:23 AM »
Just an update. I recently restarted the game and am near the part where it crashed.

I checked the post I made on the PS EU Heavy Rain boards and there are five other people there claiming the same issue. I also made a post on Kotaku, and got 4 replies with people suffering the same problem.

They all complain about losing their saves during the last 10 chapters, so my advise is that once you get to chapter 40, you try to finish the game rather than exit and save for another day.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, March 02, 2010, 10:50:05 AM »
Heh, good advice.  I played through a good couple hours last night, and it definitely does start slow.  I didn't find it irritating, but some of it was a bit mundane.  I think most of the problem is the opening bit doesn't fit the tone of the rest of the game, thus it's kind of boring because you know you aren't really getting to the real product yet.  After the mall scene, it got interesting enough, and an hour in from there it was getting hard to put down.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, March 02, 2010, 11:00:35 AM »
On my second playthrough, a few hours past the mall, the game was almost as gripping as before. I enjoyed the slow opening bit the first time because I was really getting into the story etc. Of course, it was very irritating the second time.

Anyway, I had to quit at chapter 40 but it seems to be running without issue now.

I told a cousin about the problem I had and she told me her entire game was very smooth, and she didn't get it. Then later I got an e-mail from her that a friend came over to play and the thing froze twice.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, March 02, 2010, 02:27:11 PM »
Just finished it. Very fine title. Some of it reminded me of LA Confidential.

Got stuck again at fish tank! But restarted the game and it was fine.

I will admit that I shed a tear a couple of times. :P

(click to show/hide)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, March 02, 2010, 11:06:12 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I've been going through a couple of the scenes again to see how it plays out if I do things differently.  I might go through the entire game one more time to do things
(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, March 03, 2010, 02:10:07 AM »
(click to show/hide)