Author Topic: ZRPG  (Read 827 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
ZRPG
« on: Thursday, August 06, 2009, 11:06:45 PM »
Oh please be good. Please please please!

Was hoping to save this for a rainy day, but it is cloudy here in Seattle today, so here we go. As the speculators have correctly guessed, yes, DoubleBear’s first game is indeed a Zombie RPG, which we have fondly referred to as a ZRPG internally. Before people start running in all kinds of directions with that, here’s what I will confirm:

-Set during the breakdown of society as emergence of zombies causes widespread panic and disorder.

-Slow, shambling zombies. Spreads like a virus/bite transmission. No, you are not a zombie, that would be stupid.

-Serious examination of a national crisis or natural disaster. Humans and a lack of order are a bigger threat than the undead. Think Hurricane Katrina, Children of Men, Dawn of the Dead NOT Resident Evil, Return of the Living Dead, zombie shooter-type games.

-Game is about survival. Scavenging resources, exploring the area, dealing with other survivors, and managing a “shelter” of sorts are the main focus of the game. More on this later.

-Game is open-ended. There are characters and events that could happen, but the story depends on where you go, what you do, and who you meet.  Of course, there’s a lot more to this and we'll go into more details as time goes on.

The people making it?
Brian Mitsoda

Brian is the Lead Designer, Creative Director, and Lead Coffee Maker of the company. He is best known for his writing on Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and a veteran of past RPG studios such as Black Isle Studios, Troika Games, and Obsidian Entertainment. Brian loves giraffes.

Annie Carlson

Annie is a game designer at DoubleBear, responsible for many things which are important.  She is best known for her writing on Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir, and other past projects spanning fantasy, sci-fi, and real-world titles.  She will also beat you at Super Puzzle Fighter, seriously she will.

This new RPG is apparently going to be built on the Age of Decadence engine, which as I understand is a modified Torque engine. Probably won't "Wow" people but it looks pretty decent.

But yeah, sounds like these dudes know what I want in a zombie game. Fuck yeah.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: ZRPG
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, August 06, 2009, 11:16:57 PM »
Could be cool, but I'm waiting for more before I start holding my breath.  And I hope there's at least a little zombie killing!  Sim-like or not, I can only kill so many rival survivors until I get bored.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 07, 2009, 12:59:07 AM »
This sounds quite exciting.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 07, 2009, 02:14:05 AM »
Awesome. I'll keep an ear to the ground.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 07, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »
I can't bleeping wait.