Author Topic: The Prestige  (Read 21874 times)

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
The Prestige
« on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 11:50:46 PM »
I've been waiting a couple of months for this film and I saw it tonight.

Excellent movie.  The trailer was quite deceptive though.  My only complaint was that this movie _felt_ like a Christopher Nolan movie, so you were able to guess some of the twists the movie had.

Still, very much worth seeing.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: The Prestige
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 05:23:41 AM »
I'm dyin' to see this one!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 01:07:13 PM »
I want to see it because of Christian Bale, but that's about it.  It looks decidedly less interesting to me than The Illusionist did, and I loved that one for its simplicity and story-like quality.  The Prestige looks like it's trying to be a blockbuster, and that turns me off somewhat.  That said, I still want to see it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 22, 2006, 01:14:45 PM »
I saw it. I loved it. You can totally tell Chris Nolan made this. Awesome.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 01:32:16 AM »
ow shit yeah...I didn't know it was out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 06:37:38 AM »
Saw it the other night, and it was pretty much what I thought it would be.  It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, the twists were great, and it was overall just damned awesome.  But I still liked The Illusionist better because, as stated, it had a much more understated, simple quality.  Prestige was really gung-ho, came out with guns blazing, all that.  Which isn't a bad thing, I just liked the story-like quality of The Illusionist better.

However, watching Scarlett Johansson prance around in her little show outfits was... very nice.  That alone makes the movie priceless.

Offline joeactually

• Rookie
  • Life sucks. That's your lesson. Go enjoy it.
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 09:14:22 AM »
DUDE!  Darkclaw.

Batman VS Wolverine.

Where was Patrick Stewart?

What was up with the audience SAP at the end?  If you didn't figure out how the trick was done RIGHT AWAY you didn't deserve the over-the-head beating they gave you at the end. 

That being said I am a complete re-re who didn't realize Christian Bale was a twin.
YOU'RE WELCOME!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 01:59:01 PM »
This was just an awesome movie. Period.

Probably a very early contender, for what could be, one of My Favorite DVD's of 2007.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 04:09:56 PM »
I want to see it because of Christian Bale, but that's about it.

Ditto.  Haven't seen it yet, but I want to now that I know he's in it.  That guy's a fucking awesome actor.  American Psycho?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, February 28, 2007, 07:45:47 PM »
Ditto.  Haven't seen it yet, but I want to now that I know he's in it.  That guy's a fucking awesome actor.  American Psycho?

Yeah, you should see it.

And yes -- American Psycho was freakin' great. Bale was outstanding in that.

Bale was great in The Machinist, as well.

And he was a pretty good Batman, too.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Friday, March 09, 2007, 08:20:46 PM »
Saw it the other night, and it was pretty much what I thought it would be.  It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, the twists were great, and it was overall just damned awesome.  But I still liked The Illusionist better because, as stated, it had a much more understated, simple quality.  Prestige was really gung-ho, came out with guns blazing, all that.  Which isn't a bad thing, I just liked the story-like quality of The Illusionist better.

However, watching Scarlett Johansson prance around in her little show outfits was... very nice.  That alone makes the movie priceless.

As much as I liked The Illusionist, I'd rather watch The Prestige.

I loved the vengeance and viciousness b/t the two magicians, not to mention the great story and twists and turns, too.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, March 10, 2007, 10:51:38 AM »
Eh.  I'll never change my stance on that.  The Illusionist was far and away the superior movie to me just because of its beautiful simplicity.  But I thoroughly enjoyed both.

Got The Machinist coming on Netflix, finally.  Been wanting to see that for a while.  Christian Bale *is* awesome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, March 10, 2007, 06:31:47 PM »
Eh.  I'll never change my stance on that.  The Illusionist was far and away the superior movie to me just because of its beautiful simplicity.  But I thoroughly enjoyed both.
We might have our preference of movie -- I prefer Prestige, you preferred Illusionist -- but, I think we both agree that both were very good movies.

Got The Machinist coming on Netflix, finally.  Been wanting to see that for a while.  Christian Bale *is* awesome.
The Machinist was great.

And yes -- Bale is awesome. Amen.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 02:18:39 AM »

I agree with everything. Its just my preference was with the Prestige. The Illusionist was great too because of its simplicity, but I just prefered The Pretige's constant battle of rivalry and backstage show of tricks. Awesome movie. 

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 01:51:51 PM »
I agree with everything. Its just my preference was with the Prestige.

The Illusionist was great too because of its simplicity, but I just prefered The Pretige's constant battle of rivalry and backstage show of tricks. Awesome movie. 
I agree w/ this 100%.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 10:49:47 PM »
I think I liked the Illusionist more than the Prestige.  Because ultimately, I think the Prestige was too gimmicky of a movie, even though that twist at the end of the Illusionist was a bit much, too.  The rivalry just became too cartoon-y, it seemed.  I just loved the elegant simplicity of the Illusionist and damnit, it was just too hard to empathize with Bale or Jackman.  Maybe that's what the filmmakers wanted, but I couldn't connect with the characters.  At the end of the movie, I was more invested with the Illusionist than with the Prestige.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, March 14, 2007, 11:11:38 PM »
Yeah, definitely.  I felt nothing for either character in The Prestige.  I mean, they seemed like interesting people, but I didn't *like* either of them.  I didn't really care what happened either way.  There was no emotional investment for me with that film at all.