Author Topic: Vista license question  (Read 6705 times)

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
Vista license question
« on: Sunday, September 13, 2009, 06:15:14 PM »
I have an OEM computer here that needs to be wiped. It has an attached sticker and license key for Vista Home Premium 32-bit. I also have a new computer that needs a new license for Vista; obviously I want the 64-bit edition.

I have no hope of using a 32-bit license key to install a 64-bit version of Vista, right? I'll instead need to track down a copy of Vista 32?

If so, let me preemptively say fuck Microsoft and their moronic licensing schemes.

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: Vista license question
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 14, 2009, 05:09:59 AM »
i'm not honestly sure, but i don't see why not. when you buy vista at retail, there is no distinction between 32 bit and 64 bit products - it's just an option you choose during the install procedure. the key provided works for either.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 07, 2009, 06:56:39 PM »
That's a pretty good question.  Honestly I'm not sure.  I know with Windows XP and 2003, the 32-bit and 64-bit editions had different license keys.  I also know that the Windows 7 release candidate had different keys depending on 32-/64-bit.  But I don't think the retail releases or volume licenses do.  As far as OEM though... I have no idea.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 25, 2009, 04:15:41 AM »
I have no hope of using a 32-bit license key to install a 64-bit version of Vista, right? I'll instead need to track down a copy of Vista 32?

I am pretty sure you can't do that. A while back they had an offer for those who owned 32bit Vista to buy 64bit at half off or something. That means that you need separate keys.