Author Topic: The Witcher 2  (Read 51508 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: The Witcher 2 - ALL DLC's will be FREE; expansions will be content-to-buy
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 09:00:12 AM »
The Witcher 2 is pretty impressive. Some performance/framerate issues but switched to 720p and it's ok. Had to send word. Going back now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 02:11:01 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 05:09:54 PM »
The Witcher 2 is pretty impressive. Some performance/framerate issues but switched to 720p and it's ok. Had to send word. Going back now.

Looks like from what I'm reading, the game performs better on those newer NVidia Beta drivers.
Also, the game has issues currently w/ those extra 3D Nvidia Stereoscoptic drivers installed - worth noting.

Game's running fine and dandy here on High.
Forget Ultra - it's bloody murder.

The control remapping is absolute garbage. Haven't PC game designers learned from this elsewhere? Let me put the keys where I want them.
I cannot move and controls to Mini-NumPad on the right of the keyboard for HotKeys for switching say b/t Swords and all of that other "Gameplay" section stuff already mapped on top row from 1-9.
Also, I cannot map the cursor keys (Up, Down, Left, Right Cursors) for Movement.
I preferred in Witcher 1 where we had the option to have BOTH Primary and Secondary keys for each command. TW2 only has 1 key for command allowed.

EDIT:
You cannot fiddle w/ game settings - graphics and controls - within the game. It's done outside of the game in the launcher.

EDIT #2 - 5-18-2011:
Also worth noting - the X360 controller plays fine w/ this game, if you ain't fond of the KB/mouse controls not being able to be configured to your liking 100%.
They might as well port this to the consoles, since it looks like the controls are set-up for this already.

Also, the Main Menu when you hit Start is different on the 360 controller than when you hit ESC on the Keyboard.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 01:43:38 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 29, 2011, 07:18:06 AM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 02:00:16 PM »
Haha I just saw a funny stab at Assassin's Creed in the game!

(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 02:53:40 PM »
Haha I just saw a funny stab at Assassin's Creed in the game!

(click to show/hide)
Yeah, I saw that and was cracking up, hehe. :)

Is it me or does the game feel kinda tough on Normal?
Probably doesn't help that I don't like the WSAD controls, either.

I might have to go w/ the 360 controller, until they hot-fix the remapping of the controls, which is planned.

EDIT:
GOG -> Common Issues w/ TW2 Thread.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 03:15:09 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #126 on: Wednesday, May 18, 2011, 09:24:17 PM »
The X360 pad controls are passable but it's very clear the game was made for mouse+kb. This is especially obvious in the inventory, when you're walking around the camera is completely manual (made for mouse), and even during combat since there's no lock-on at all you have to manually aim the camera at your target when the directional buttons aren't working quite as planned.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #127 on: Thursday, May 19, 2011, 01:35:50 PM »
The X360 pad controls are passable but it's very clear the game was made for mouse+kb. This is especially obvious in the inventory, when you're walking around the camera is completely manual (made for mouse), and even during combat since there's no lock-on at all you have to manually aim the camera at your target when the directional buttons aren't working quite as planned.
I prefer the Inventory on the KB/mouse, yes.

On the other hand, the controls have NO STRAFING keys at all - which "No strafe" is usually more often found in console-style action games, when you have multiple enemies on you. It's easier to go from enemy-to-enemy on a swing like this. This usually works better on games w/ a gamepad.

Two Worlds 2 did something interesting - to strafe, you have to hold Block and hit your direction of movement.

EDIT:
First patch coming for TW2 next week - with remapping allowed, mouse inversion, and other fixes/changes.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #128 on: Thursday, May 19, 2011, 04:45:19 PM »
Unofficial Save Clean-Up Utility Program released.
So, for all of you who need a program to make things easy on deleting saves [since you can't do it in-game currently] or want to ZIP them somewhere, here you go...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #129 on: Thursday, May 19, 2011, 10:21:27 PM »
Is it just me, or is the combat kind of weak?  Something just seems....off about it and I think I may actually prefer the style of the first game.  Oh, and I've been dying a lot.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #130 on: Friday, May 20, 2011, 02:05:48 AM »
Is it just me, or is the combat kind of weak?  Something just seems....off about it and I think I may actually prefer the style of the first game.  Oh, and I've been dying a lot.
Yeah, same here. It takes a bit of getting used to.. I have a hard time acknowledging when I'm actually getting hit, it's like the feedback is minimal. Sure the screen gets a reddish tint but there's no sense that I'm taking a hit, maybe a lack of sound or animation. To be honest, that was the same complaint I had about the original game.

The combat in The Witcher 2 feels like the combat in Gothic 3, which is not impressive, at least in G3 you could lock on to an enemy.

I will give W2 some credit on the realism though: if you're being attacked by a mob the odds are clearly stacked against you; you have to be extremely good to win! It's not like in Jade Empire or Fable where I can easily dodge and bounce around seamlessly between the attackers. In W2 I have to use appropriate tactics for each enemy type, time my attacks and retreats carefully, fixate my attacks on one enemy at a time, manage my vigour (used up for blocking and Signs), and be able to quickly change tactics as necessary. It's certainly not monotonous.

EDIT:
Here's a video from Koroush Ghazi (author of TweakGuides.com) showing off the game at at maximum setting (minus Ubersampling). Dare to watch it at full 1080p!
« Last Edit: Friday, May 20, 2011, 02:45:37 AM by Xessive »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #131 on: Friday, May 20, 2011, 01:56:42 PM »
I think the lack of strafing is one of my pet peeves w/ the combat of TW2 game.
Two Worlds 2 has strafing, when you are blocking.

It just feels like EASY is TOO easy, while NORMAL feels TOO HARD. There's no real middle ground here.

I also prefer that I could chug potion in TW1....well, whenever I feel like it.
In TW2, you have to find a spot you can Meditate in and then you actually can chug a potion.
Problem is - unless you often die in a battle and reload last save, you don't really know what potion you should chug and when.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: The Witcher 2
« Reply #132 on: Friday, May 20, 2011, 03:38:24 PM »
I just realized there's no quickload.. You can quicksave but you have to go through the menu to load it. Minor tedium.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #133 on: Friday, May 20, 2011, 03:40:05 PM »
I just realized there's no quickload.. You can quicksave but you have to go through the menu to load it. Minor tedium.
Yeah, another annoyance on the list of MANY w/ this game...
*shakes my head*

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #134 on: Friday, May 20, 2011, 03:41:44 PM »
Despite all the inconveniences I'm still finding myself jumping back into it. The world they've created is just so compelling!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #135 on: Friday, May 20, 2011, 03:47:46 PM »
Despite all the inconveniences I'm still finding myself jumping back into it. The world they've created is just so compelling!

I'm glad to hear that. Annoying issues can be patched out. A bad game can't.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #136 on: Friday, May 20, 2011, 03:48:34 PM »
Not enough here, unfortunately. Since I am left-handed, once I can re-map my keys to both cursor keys AND number-pad like most modern day PC games allow (except probably Dead Space 1 PC), maybe I'll dive back into this...
I thought the 360 controller would solve the problem, at least for now...well, I was wrong. The combat's fine on the 360 pad, but the Inventory controls SUCK on the 360 pad.
Another solution would be for CDP allowing BOTH 360 pad and KB+mouse be allowed to be enabled at the same time.

But, really - I should be able to delete saves, quickload, change graphics settings, and change control settings to my liking IN-GAME, not in some launcher outside of the game before I even boot the game up...

I'm glad to hear that. Annoying issues can be patched out. A bad game can't.
It's just that the stupidities surrounding around it ruin the enjoyment I should be having w/ this game - which probably the main ones can and will be fixed.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #137 on: Friday, May 20, 2011, 05:11:42 PM »
Click Spoiler for some SCREENIES...
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #138 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 01:50:05 PM »
This game is SOOO AWESOME!!!

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

The more I play the more impressed I am with The Witcher 2. I hope they polish it really well with the upcoming patches; the game certainly deserves the royal treatment.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #139 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 02:21:20 PM »
The more I play the more impressed I am with The Witcher 2. I hope they polish it really well with the upcoming patches; the game certainly deserves the royal treatment.
The more I play this game, the more I wanna throw my KB/mouse and X360 controller.
Hopefully, the DLC issues, registration issues, and control issues will be fixed w/ the next patch.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #140 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »
I saw the retail copy in the store today. Says during install it has to download 50MB, so I'll have to start that early in the day (when I eventually get it)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #141 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
I saw the retail copy in the store today. Says during install it has to download 50MB, so I'll have to start that early in the day (when I eventually get it)
I think that was their 0-day security. Basically no one had a complete copy of the game until the official release date.

I feel for ya, D. I'd be pretty mad if I couldn't configure some basic controls to my liking. I find the game works reasonably well with the gamepad, and there's not much to do in the inventory screen anyway; instead of clicking and dragging items you'll have to settle for the "highlight, push A to use/remove" style.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #142 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »
I think that was their 0-day security. Basically no one had a complete copy of the game until the official release date.

I feel for ya, D. I'd be pretty mad if I couldn't configure some basic controls to my liking. I find the game works reasonably well with the gamepad, and there's not much to do in the inventory screen anyway; instead of clicking and dragging items you'll have to settle for the "highlight, push A to use/remove" style.

Actually, hitting Insert enables both KB/mouse and GamePad.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #143 on: Saturday, May 21, 2011, 10:24:36 PM »
Sweet, thanks for the tip.

I'm getting the hang of the combat. I've also noticed that it gets better (and makes more sense) with upgrades, for example the Whirl ability allows you to hit multiple targets with a each swing, so no more zero-damage animation clipping.

I'm also really glad I went for the GOG.com purchase since it's a hassle-free installation, especially after reading about some of the other versions' installation issues or CD key misprints.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #144 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 07:18:08 AM »
Sweet, thanks for the tip.
Yeah, someone pointing that out on GOG to me. :)

I'm also really glad I went for the GOG.com purchase since it's a hassle-free installation, especially after reading about some of the other versions' installation issues or CD key misprints.
Same here...even though I wish some of my complaints were fixed.
The controls is the biggie for me right now - and that'll probably be taken care of w/ their next patch.

EDIT:
Okay, so I'm trying to get used to the 360 pad here. Looks like Quen skill is the most useful skill in this game, as suddenly when using this skill, combat seems to be getting A LOT easier. It's still challenging, but at least now I'm not always getting pounced here.

EDIT #2:
BTW, This Kayran Battle...this is ridiculous. And the QTE at the end...ugh.
I'm gonna have to come back to this later. This can get frustrating...
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 01:59:33 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #145 on: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 09:16:40 PM »
I think I'm the only one who seems to find the QTEs easy.. I actually enjoy them too! :D I have the "Difficult QTEs" option activated as well. I don't get why most people are having trouble with them.

EDIT:
Quen is pretty handy since it absorbs damage, it depends on the fight that I justify its use. So far one of the most useful signs for me is Yrden; particularly helpful with mobs since it slows them down and helps me pick them off one by one. It seems to be instrumental in most boss fights so far.
« Last Edit: Sunday, May 22, 2011, 10:12:12 PM by Xessive »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #146 on: Monday, May 23, 2011, 01:40:21 PM »
Destructoid -> 6.0.

Yet, by the time the game ends, you'll be cleaving through enemies like butter. If you spam your shield spell and unlock finishing moves, regular fights go from almost impossible to an insulting joke. It seems CD Projekt couldn't strike the right balance between character development and challenge, so just didn't bother. This is evidenced in the boss fights, which often rely on guesswork in order to beat, as players figure out the one convoluted, obscure strategy required in order to win. There's no challenge in that, it's just throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks.
I haven't seen all of the boss fights, but I don't think the Kayran was convoluted at all.
A lot of it was TOLD to you by Sile and then hinted at numerous times in front of your face by what happens.
Just...you had to get the timing and everything down correctly, more so than anything.

The game is probably too hard on normal and too easy on easy. *shrug*
A happy medium would be nice.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #147 on: Monday, May 23, 2011, 06:54:53 PM »
G4TV - Attack of The Show -> Morgan Webb talks about The Witcher 2 (PC).
G4TV is giving it a perfect 5 (out of 5) on their next XPlay episode.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 31, 2011, 03:45:27 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: The Witcher 2 - Update: G4TV is giving TW2 a perfect 5 (out of 5)
« Reply #149 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 02:12:14 PM »
Glad to see so many positive reviews. I've actually been digging the footage I've seen... so I need to get on finishing up the first one so I can grab this.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 02:25:29 PM »
Having played the first game, I have to admit it took a bit to get used to The Witcher 2 and some of its new mechanics. The combat is probably the most significant change, but even the main interaction method changes the game for me.

I definitely feel more in control of Geralt in W2 since they've eliminated the point & click control scheme completely, opting for direct control of Geralt; much like the 3rd-person camera mode in the original, except even the crosshair has been eliminated as well. The interaction is context-sensitive now, kinda like Fable, and highlighting is automatic based on view angle and proximity.

I didn't like the combat at first but now that I have a better handle on it I'm enjoying it a lot more. It's all about timing!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #151 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 02:50:24 PM »
Having played the first game, I have to admit it took a bit to get used to The Witcher 2 and some of its new mechanics. The combat is probably the most significant change, but even the main interaction method changes the game for me.

I definitely feel more in control of Geralt in W2 since they've eliminated the point & click control scheme completely, opting for direct control of Geralt; much like the 3rd-person camera mode in the original, except even the crosshair has been eliminated as well. The interaction is context-sensitive now, kinda like Fable, and highlighting is automatic based on view angle and proximity.

I didn't like the combat at first but now that I have a better handle on it I'm enjoying it a lot more. It's all about timing!

I still wish there was strafing and all, but the combat here w/ the 360 controller feels more like say Batman: AA or Two Worlds 2. Once you get going and used to it, you can EASILY just turn and slice-and-dice from enemy-to-enemy w/ a direction push and a button-tap.

You're right, though - it's all about timing. And using like crazy Quen to shield-up.

One thing that really made me scratch my head at times here and there in recent Bioware games like Dragon Age 2 and the ME games was the truncated dialogue options didn't come close to like what the character actually says or does for that choice. Often, in DA2 or ME games, you'd select an option - and the dialogue or action didn't even sound or even act like what your choice is. TW2 so far does a much better job of this, as often the truncated line is actually in there, but actually is even further expanded upon - that's the way it should be done, if it's gonna be done.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: The Witcher 2 - Update: 9.0 from both GameSpot and IGN; 5 stars from G4TV
« Reply #152 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 09:29:54 PM »
There sort of is strafing.. I mean, when you use you move right or left Geralt runs perpendicular to the camera's angle, he doesn't pivot or rotate; m+kb or gamepad it's the same. It is a lot like beat 'em ups (i.e. Arkham Asylum, God of War) in that regard. Since there's no aiming involved (for the most part) and no lock-on there's no real need to move sideways while facing your opponent.

At first I kept dreading that there was no option to lock-on to a single enemy, however I later realized that most of the combat involves mobs and you need to be free enough to quickly switch between enemies or attack many t the same time when you unlock the whirl ability. Eventually, as you get used to it and upgrade your skills, the combat starts to look like a choreographed sequence with Geralt dancing through his foes.

Admittedly, the game does demand a lot from the player since you have to figure out most of the stuff on your own. You will find your own fighting style and tactics that work for you. It is brilliantly designed to make the player work for it, at first anyway. I can't even count the number of times I died in the prologue! By the time I reached the second chapter I had become much more aware of the combat.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 09:56:09 PM by Xessive »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #153 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 09:40:45 PM »
Probably halfway through Chapter 2 and combat is a lot easier.  This is probably due to a combination of better equipment,  slightly better stats/skills, and the understanding that I have to use potions/oils/bombs far more than the first game.  Also, striking from the back makes a huge difference.

New pet peeve:  weight limit.  Come on.  It's not like there's actual loot in this game, I don't see a real reason to limit your inventory, especially when there's no where to store all your crafting goods.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 10:31:37 PM »
Oh God, the weight limit is starting to get annoying! I wound up having to sell off a good chunk of ingredients and crafting materials. I really wish there was a storage locker or something.

I find that I rarely use alchemy this time around.. Every once in a while I might use a Swallow potion before a major fight but I rely a lot more on dodging and not getting hit at all.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 11:26:57 PM »
Yeah, it's mainly the bombs and oils.....which I almost never used in the first game.  Potions:  not so hot - many have too drastic of downsides (save for Swallow and Cat, really).  Also, I don't think there's Blizzard this time around.

But yeah, seriously....the fucking weight limit.  And it's all ingredients...no extra armour or weapons. So, it's like a thousand teeth from some monster add up and I have to search through my entire inventory to figure out what to dump (and it's usually spread out among a shit load of different things) and then make the hard decision of which I MAY NOT need.   

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #156 on: Tuesday, May 24, 2011, 11:59:40 PM »
Come to think of it, there are no sorting options other than the type lists.. I'd like to be able to sort by weight, alphabetically, etc. As it is I have to scroll down the "ALL" list and keep an eye on the weight number. It's not a great inventory system although it is leaps ahead of the one in the original.

Every so often I'll scavenge and bear with extra weight until I reach a merchant.. It can be a long walk sometimes!

Anyway, I have noticed some surprising moments in the game, particularly with the dialogue. I've happened across a few moments with bad dialogue only to realize that it was intentionally bad when the speaker gets corrected by another character! Even the little things that bring life to a conversation (potential spoiler):
(click to show/hide)
It's a small thing but these little exchanges make the characters feel real.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 02:08:12 PM »
A LOT of Info on upcoming Patch 1.1.

May 25, 2011, 2:53 p.m.

Internal tests of Patch 1.1 are well under way. Our current target is to release it this evening. Please note that although we are doing our best to have it ready by then, the time still may change in order to be completely sure that the patch will function properly. This is our primary concern since there are significant changes and upgrades that will affect many users.

1. Simpler and more reliable game installation and activation. Details to be revealed soon.

2. Fixed the free Troll Trouble DLC download. It is now included n the patch so there's no need to download and install it separately.

3. Fixed an issue that prevented some users from downloading other free DLCs (the ones given out with some pre-orders, special promotions, etc). The launcher now properly refreshes the list of available DLCs and allows for installation.

4. Performance improvements: approximately 5% to 30% better framerate and faster game loading for many users, depending on their individual systems and game versions. Owners of retail versions can expect the biggest improvements.

5. Fixed random crashes occurring on some systems, especially after saving and loading saves.

6. Key mapping – allows the arrow and number keys to be used for movement.

7. Added the option to invert the mouse.

8. nVidia surround vision now works properly.

9. More accurate assessment provided by the "auto-detect settings" option will help improve game performance.

10. Removed a bug that prevented completion of the “Blood Curse” quest.

11. Fixed a bug that prevented the additional link in "Extras" from being unlocked after winning the dice game against the GOG.com monk.

12. GOG.com credits now work properly.

The full list of all changes will be available upon the release of the patch. If you have experienced any issues that are not on the list above, please don't worry. We have already started working on the next patch, which will address other difficulties and bugs, including those related to specific hardware setups; e.g.. Logitech g35. You may expect this second patch to be ready next week.

Patch 1.1 will be available for all the versions of the game, both retail and digital, except for Russian.  However, we would like to assure our Russian fans that we are aware of the problems with the your version of the game (thanks for your reports!) and we are talking with 1C about possible solutions.

EDIT:
PC Gamer -> The Witcher 2 - Tweak Guide.
Joystiq -> ESRB already has rated TW2 for X360.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 02:55:35 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 10:39:41 PM »
Thanks for the Tweak Guide, D.

GPW, I think one of these two mods could solve our little issue:

Zero Item Weight Mod
Increased Capacity Mod

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2011, 10:53:48 PM »
Hello zero item weight mod.  I'll be installing that bitch for sure.