Author Topic: [PSP] Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker demo released  (Read 782 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
[PSP] Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker demo released
« on: Thursday, September 24, 2009, 10:32:42 AM »
Get it here.

If you're running official PSP firmwares you're all set to go. Custom firmware...maybe maybe not. Some people are saying the old 5.00-m33 6 CFW won't play it, but the new GEN B can, so I'll update my PSP and report back.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: [PSP] Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker demo released
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 24, 2009, 03:57:47 PM »
Cool. I just started playing MGS: Portable Ops. While I do like the game I cannot understand for the life of me why they chose to give it a camera-intensive control scheme! Why the heck didn't they make it like MGS3: Snake Eater (which is predominantly with a top-down view)??!! It's like Kojima is intentionally picking on the PSP for not having a right analogue stick/pad!

It's more than a little infuriating having to look around with the d-pad while I'm controlling Snake with the analogue. I tried switching the controls around so it's more like Syphon Filter but it's just not the same. The real kicker is that when you go into first-person view the commands switch around: the analogue becomes look and the d-pad becomes move.

I'm gonna try out the Peace Walker demo and if the controls are not improved I doubt I'll go for it, at least not at full price anyway.

EDIT:
Crap! It's entirely in Japanese!
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 24, 2009, 04:25:14 PM by Xessive »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 24, 2009, 05:04:43 PM »
First impressions:

Sadly, I couldn't understand much of the dialogue. Just basic stuff and occasional transliterations like "Bigu Bossu!" and "Sunekku!"

The visuals are some of the most impressive I've seen on PSP. The graphics are just top-notch. They also maintained the sketched art style from Portable Ops but they took it further, giving the cutscenes a very graphic novel appeal.

Sound is quite good. They've paid special attention to the simple sound effects, primarily foot steps, as with previous Metal Gear Solid games. The environment and ambience effects are very immersive as well.

Down to controls. They've definitely refined the control scheme, making the default match what I had already done with PO anyway (stick to move, XOST to look, and d-pad for commands). Just as with PO, you have full control over the configuration, almost in a PC game style where you can bind any key to any command.

They've removed the first-person cam, opting for a an over-the-shoulder when yuo hold down the aim button. They have also addressed the control swap issue I mentioned earlier, keeping the same controls and minimizing any confusion. The most notable difference, however, is that Snake can now move while crouched rather than lying on the ground and dragging along. Lying in prone now seems to make you completely stationary. They've also added the Auto-aim feature from MGS4.

Overall, it seems like the game has had a lot of influence from games like Syphon Filter and Resistance: Retribution, at least in terms of the camera and controls; making it much easier to pick up and play. But it seems to be more action oriented rather than abiding the stealth tradition of the Metal Gear Solid series.

I'm definitely considering it now but just to be sure I wanna try an English demo first.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 24, 2009, 07:58:43 PM »
I didn't play very far, but it does seem neat. Man, MGS long cutscenes are even harder to get through when you don't even understand the words.

But I got it working on custom firmware. Updated to GEN A, then GEN B, then GEN B2. Had to update my version.txt file and it booted right up. Hooray!