Author Topic: Microsoft Security Essentials  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Microsoft Security Essentials
« on: Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 08:45:44 AM »
As of November 2008, Microsoft had finally stepped in and started providing free antivirus for Windows with Microsoft Security Essentials (codename "Morro"). They've just provided the first official release with version 1.0.1611. The question now: is it effective?

Here's a brief description:
Microsoft Security Essentials (codenamed Morro) is a free antivirus software created by Microsoft that provides protection against viruses, spyware, rootkits, and trojans for Windows XP, Vista, and 7. Microsoft has always recommended that its users use real-time antimalware protection, but the release by the end of this year will mark the company's first free solution.
MSE replaces Windows Live OneCare — a subscription antivirus service — and Windows Defender, which only protects users from adware and spyware. MSE is a small-footprint program ideal for computers that lack processing power or broadband Internet connections, such as netbooks.
MSE is available as standalone 32-bit and 64-bit downloads for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. It's very easy to install Security Essentials using it is even easier than one might expect.

Updates and upgrades are automatic, so there's no need to worry about having the latest protection. It's easy to tell if you're protected – when the Security Essentials icon is green, your status is good. It's as simple as that.

Sounds promising. Actually it sounds like AVG Free Edition.

I'm giving a test run for about a week and if I like it I'll stick with it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Microsoft Security Essentials
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 09:46:45 AM »
AVG Free is what I use (and install on PCs I'm asked to tweak).  I'd like to see an objective comparison between it and this MSE.  Effectiveness, memory footprint, processing cost, and ability to customize components (like turning full-time active shielding on and off) are the variables I'm interested in.

Thanks for the heads up.  I had no idea.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 09:55:03 AM »
AVG Free is what I use (and install on PCs I'm asked to tweak).  I'd like to see an objective comparison between it and this MSE.  Effectiveness, memory footprint, processing cost, and ability to customize components (like turning full-time active shielding on and off) are the variables I'm interested in.

Ditto.  I'm interested in knowing how it differs from AVG.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 10:45:40 AM »
In the last few hours I've explored it a bit.

So far it seems to function essentially the same as AVG. The interface is more streamlined to Windows standards and, overall, is much cleaner and easier to use.

Just looking at the memory usage in the Task Manager it averages around 2-3MB. Overall it seems to be less intensive than AVG.

The only scan I've run so far is the Quick Scan, it took about 6 minutes which is noticeably faster than AVG's Quick Scan on my system which averages around 15-20 mins.

In terms of added features MSE is lacking i.e. Link Scanner etc. It's more of a barebones free antivirus solution. Which is how I used AVG, I often disabled features like the Link Scanner anyway.

I don't have a technical comparison sheet or anything but I'm hoping someone on the internet will (like a review site) will do it eventually.

Anyway, this is just my first impression. I haven't even delved into how effective its detection is and how it will fair by next week.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 10:57:54 AM »
Thanks!  Good to know.  I will be keeping an eye on this.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 07:21:33 PM »
AVG was great, but it's gotten bloated recently and I kind of hate it now.  I'd like to switch, but I somehow don't trust something from Microsoft to be less bloated and awful.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 10:48:07 PM »
I actually went on Scott's recommendation and went with ESET Nod32 and I love it. Over a year ago Amazon had a year subscription for $15 bucks so I picked it up, Ive renewed it recently, havent regretted it since.

Speaking of Scott, where is he? I haven't seen him on in a while.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 01, 2009, 05:17:19 AM »
Surprisingly, MSE is quite minimalistic. It doesn't have an overbearing interface and it doesn't toss security pop-ups at me. It sits silently in the background.

I used BitDefender a while back, I liked it because it was minimalistic but it's latest interation is more intrusive. It seems everyone is trying to imitate Symantec's Norton Antivirus by having an over-the-top interface and commandeering your OS. Kaspersky is alright and more managable than Norton or McAfee, Panda is pretty good too.

A while back I also checked out ClamWin (opensource antivirus), it has a decent detection system but it lacks an active resident shield, so you have to manually scan stuff for it to be effective at all. Basically it's great for the already cautious user, not the best solution for the average user.

Yeah, where is Scott?