Author Topic: adhockParty released in NA!  (Read 1662 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
adhockParty released in NA!
« on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 12:09:02 PM »
News

Some places saying as early as next week. adhocParty is a program for the PS3 that allows you to play some PSP games online, even though they normally only support adhoc multiplayer.
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 19, 2009, 04:59:39 PM by idolminds »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: adhockParty coming to North America soon!
« Reply #1 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 03:23:47 PM »
Fantastic! I have some games I'd love to play with friends but don't know many people who have PSPs, even when they do we don't have the same games.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: adhockParty coming to North America soon!
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 19, 2009, 04:58:59 PM »
Bump because its out now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: adhockParty released in NA!
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 19, 2009, 07:33:19 PM »
I can't think of any PSP games I'd actually want to use this for.  Hmm.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 19, 2009, 08:51:50 PM »
Video walkthrough (that I haven't watched yet...doh)

I can't think of too many games I own that can be played multiplayer. Though I guess the games that will be getting a lot of use out of this will be the Monster Hunter games and Gran Turismo.

I'm going to see what demos have adhoc multiplayer, maybe we can mess with it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 19, 2009, 09:07:09 PM »
Oh...fuck. Your PS3 has to have a wired connection to the internet. That kills it for me right there.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Friday, November 20, 2009, 01:42:34 AM »
Hmm, I suppose I might be able to manage by either stretching a cable or making use on my PC's secondary network card and just route through it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Friday, November 20, 2009, 11:35:05 AM »
You mean as opposed to wireless?  Why should that make any difference?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Friday, November 20, 2009, 01:47:19 PM »
You mean as opposed to wireless?  Why should that make any difference?

I'm not really sure but I have come across streaming media that absolutely requires a hardline, that is was for streaming though.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Friday, November 20, 2009, 02:03:09 PM »
Frankly, I never understand the excitement behind threads like these -- no offense to anyone, but I kinda feel about these the way some of you feel about MysterD's obscure game threads.

I mean, who cares? Even if I had free time all day, I still wouldn't be able to clear through all the fantastic games available on all four of the major platforms... why would I go about making an extra effort to play something from a handheld on the PSN network, when I could actually play something on the PS3 that was actually designed for PSN?

I would have understood the excitement had there been some PSP game that had been waiting for this, but why go out of your to look for demos?

I hope I didn't come off as an ass, but I am just curious, as I just don't see what is so 'fantastic' or exciting about this.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Friday, November 20, 2009, 02:27:28 PM »
I'd try demos to see if it works because if it does work then I can look for some games to play with others. I mean...I like playing with you guys but I'm not about to go buy some games to see if I might be able to play it online. If it doesnt work with the demo then I'm not actually out anything.

And some games are only on PSP (such as Monster Hunter Freedom Unite), and this is a big deal since many games do adhoc multiplayer (ie, local) but very few do online over the internet. This essentially lets you play games online that normally can only be done locally. It even handles voice chat and probably video with the camera so you can still get that "local" feel. Its for people like me that don't have local friends to play these games with, or people that do have local friends but none of them play this or that particular game.

Its not really much extra effort. Download a program on your PS3 and run it along with the game on PSP. I did more than that just to get Borderlands to work online.

To answer Cobras question, the PS3 would need a wired connection since the PSP will be using the wireless. Apparently the PS3 cant connect to a wifi connection to get online and talk to the PSP at the same time.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Friday, November 20, 2009, 10:59:58 PM »
OK, I get it.  The PS3 needs to talk directly to the PSP, so the wireless gear is tied up.  The solution to that would be for everything to speak IP and let the router handle the multiple conversations (wired and/or wireless).  I know the PSP can do that, and of course so can the PS3.  So theoretically at least, Sony could fix it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Friday, November 20, 2009, 11:06:40 PM »
You're forgetting one very important thing: its Sony.