Author Topic: What I'd like to see in Borderlands 2  (Read 42731 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: What I'd like to see in Borderlands 2
« Reply #80 on: Sunday, September 16, 2012, 05:34:42 AM »
BeefJack -> Big uproar right now that Russian and CIS territories are getting their own region-locked version of Borderlands 2.

First up, when people pre-ordered Borderlands 2 it wasn’t listed as anything other Borderlands 2, nor was there anything that implied they will be getting their own version that won’t be compatible with the rest of the world, but alas everyone in these areas will be getting Borderlands 2 – RU. It is a version that is only in Russian, allows you to only play multiplayer with people who have the RU version and it will not be compatible with the Borderlands 2 Season Pass. On top of all that there is threat of delayed DLC, something that happened with the Russian version of Borderlands 1, no pre-loading and if you live in these areas you don’t have the option of buying a digital version of the game that isn’t the Russian version.

One of the biggest problems with all of this is that the Russian version is being forced upon areas that aren’t Russian, like the CIS, where many people speak English or other languages. They are being given only the option of the Borderlands 2 – RU version, regardless of whether or not they speak Russian. It wouldn’t be so bad if people could play the game in English and have subtitles for whatever their language is, but many people are reporting that this RU version does not have that option.
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 16, 2012, 06:30:45 AM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #81 on: Sunday, September 16, 2012, 09:33:26 AM »
Just more evidence to eradicate these ridiculous notions of regional restriction.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #82 on: Sunday, September 16, 2012, 10:06:48 AM »
They need to iron out the kinks, but I think region locking is understandable in a multiplayer style game like this. If people buy copies that cost 80% less from such countries to play a game there needs to be some protection.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, September 16, 2012, 11:43:03 AM »
They need to iron out the kinks, but I think region locking is understandable in a multiplayer style game like this. If people buy copies that cost 80% less from such countries to play a game there needs to be some protection.
Then they should restrict the retailers not the game's built-in access.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: Sunday, September 16, 2012, 12:31:31 PM »
So, what'[s the word on this?  I'm tempted to preorder, but I'm not going to if no one else is buying this right off the bat.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #85 on: Sunday, September 16, 2012, 01:46:55 PM »
Then they should restrict the retailers not the game's built-in access.

How do they restrict people from buying from retailers and selling online undercutting themselves? The other option is to sell the game at the same price in poor countries as it is in the rest of the world, but then those people miss out completely..

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, September 16, 2012, 03:03:47 PM »
How do they restrict people from buying from retailers and selling online undercutting themselves? The other option is to sell the game at the same price in poor countries as it is in the rest of the world, but then those people miss out completely..
The same way all online retailers currently do it. For example, I can't buy Max Payne 3 anywhere online or retail for that matter. To get my hands on it I had to resort to the old tactic of having a friend pick up a copy for me when he was in the US. Now imagine how infuriating it would have been if the game wouldn't run or had some pointless localization issue built right into it!

I'm against any form of regional restriction, especially for digital distribution platforms. I understand the pricing scheme angle when it comes to regions with poor economies but I'm suffering from a different angle altogether; I'm not trying to purchase from a region that's selling an item below its market retail value, I'm being overcharged for items well beyond their market retail value. That's assuming the item is even available to my region as well. For example, EA is the worst at this, when Battlefield 3 first released it was available for purchase through Origin but I was being charged 60 Euros for it, the game's value was $60 USD, that means I was being charged $79 to purchase a digital copy. In this case availability wasn't the issue but pricing certainly was.

It's understandable when it's a retail problem, e.g. there is no local publisher or the publisher refuses to ship to the region, but publishers have effectively carried redundant problems over to a medium where they don't even apply. The thought process is archaic and makes no sense. Digital distribution solutions effectively nullify such problems and the only reason a game is not digitally available in a region is purely bureaucratic. Ever see an indie title with regional restriction? No if anything at all language may be the only applicable barrier and it's often easily resolved.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #88 on: Monday, September 17, 2012, 12:50:12 AM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: Monday, September 17, 2012, 08:57:46 AM »
Well, I just "preordered" this.  Yes, it still counts as a preorder today (woo!), so I'm getting the "Premiere Club" code(s) plus a $10 Amazon credit.  Should arrive in a couple of days, if not tomorrow.  I checked 2-day delivery, but the Amazon warehouse we usually get stuff from is right across the Ohio River in N. Kentucky.  I often get Amazon orders the next day.  I'm excited for this.  Let's hope it lives up to the hype.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #90 on: Monday, September 17, 2012, 04:51:10 PM »
Borderlands 2 - Launch Trailer.

SPOILERS!!!
GiantBomb -> Quick Look EX - Borderlands 2 (X360) goes on for almost 52 minutes.

EDIT:
Oh, this is interesting...around 24:25 into the QuickLook EX, they discuss how story progression now works in Co-Op MP.
There are no ineligible games anymore.
If you join someone else's game and they are way ahead of your local game, if you go ahead and do some quests w/ them...
...THEN you go back to your local game and reach those quests you already did w/ others, it'll ask you if you'd like to SKIP those quests or REPLAY them...

At 27:09, it's explained an early focus tests told GearBox they wanted more back-story on the Vault-Hunters themselves, so they added some of that stuff as side-quests.

At 33:24, they start discussing the new "Safe" Co-Op Player Trading System.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 17, 2012, 07:09:07 PM by MysterD »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #91 on: Monday, September 17, 2012, 07:00:58 PM »
I've got this coming by UPS tomorrow for Xbox, have a full group to play with as soon as we all get it, and still don't know which character to play.

In BL1 I played a fast and aggressive Siren. Lots of phasewalk, close range elemental SMG action. I played with a soldier and sniper, so while they sat back shooting stuff from range, I sprinted/phasewalked in and shot guys in the face point blank. The new siren has phaselock instead of phasewalk, which compared to zipping around in stealth, seems pretty boring. the assassin has stealth, but he seems so single target oriented. If I play him, I'm gonna miss that aoe dmg coming out of phasewalk.

I'm definitely going to give both a try, but I don't really want to get to level 10-15 with my friends and say "ok guys, hang out for a couple hours while I reroll the other class and catch up, since I'd rather play that."

EDIT: Also, it looks like my group already has a Zer0 and Axton for sure. Maya may not be taken at all unless I do. Also, in BL1 I was almost always the last person alive any time a situation went bad. Maya has some great healing and rezzing abilities I could probably put to good use if I'm going to be better at surviving than the rest of them. (though my survivability probably had to do with phasewalk abuse with it specced to regen health)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: Monday, September 17, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »
I think they wanted to get away from Lilith because she was so overpowered.  I'm going to miss her too.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 05:09:20 AM »
It's taking a lot of will power to not go out and buy this today.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 12:30:34 PM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 01:20:53 PM »
What a dimbulb.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 01:53:46 PM »
His main gripe with the game seems to be that it's not CoD: Black Ops 2 nor Halo 4.

The first game had no adversarial multiplayer modes (save for the ability to challenge another player to a duel), why did he expect Borderlands 2 to have any and then penalized it for not having them?! He may as well have been complaining about not being able to aim-down-sight in a Command & Conquer game!

EDIT:
On the bright side, the comments are ripping him to shreds!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 01:59:33 PM »
They were a lot more fun to read than the clueless review.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 04:06:15 PM »
There’s an extremely limited four-player cooperative mode, and if you have an Xbox Live Gold account, you can team up that way, but this isn’t the type of deeply engrossing FPS game the headset-wearing COD crowds gather to play months and months after release. In comparison, I read on several sites that COD: Black Ops 2 will feature up to six teams, for a total of 18 simultaneous players, in multiplayer mode.
That's the friggin' point - Borderlands is the Anti-COD and Anti-Halo.
BL was NEVER built for competitive play; it's really built for Solo or Co-Op.
Borderlands is more like a ARPG - but spin the genre on its head by making it more Shooter-based than melee-based.
If anything, Borderlands series is probably best compared to say Hellgate: London - and HG:L isn't 100% like BL, since HGL has both melee-based characters & gun-based characters.

EDIT:
Cynical Brit -> Looks at Borderlands 2 PC version's (Tons of) Options and Menus.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 02:59:32 PM »
Game arrived yesterday. I haven't turned it on today yet. Raptr says I've played it for 16 hours lol.

The siren's phaselock ability is way better than I expected. I still don't have nearly as much survivability, but I guess that's by design, because Lilith was sort of broken.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 04:14:31 PM »
Shacknews -> Rumor - Borderlands 2 DLC will be developed by the Sorcery developers.

Borderlands 2 DLC being developed Sorcery dev
by Andrew Yoon, Sep 19, 2012 4:00pm PDT
Related Topics – Borderlands 2, xbox 360, DLC, PlayStation 3, 2K Games, Gearbox Software, PC, Borderlands Series, The Workshop

Like the original Borderlands before it, Borderlands 2 will have a number of lengthy DLC expansions. The first may be coming from The Workshop, developers of the recently-released PlayStation Move game, Sorcery.

Resumes from current and former employees of the developer indicate they are working on an expansion, currently named "Torgue"--the same name as one of the weapons manufacturers of Pandora.

Little is known about the expansion, but as Superannation notes on Kotaku, this "unannounced expansion" promises to have over ten hours of gameplay. As previously announced, each expansion pack will cost $10 but you can also pick up a season pass if you like what you're playing so far.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »
I received this from Amazon today!  And the preorder code came in an email.  I just installed it and downloaded the "Premier Club" with the code.  I'm looking at the nifty menu screen and listening to the ambient music while sipping some tea.  I love moments like this.  Few games bring on the anticipation like this anymore.  I'm sure I'll be posting more after I dive into it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #102 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 04:02:29 PM »
Destructoid -> 2K & 1C have fixed the regional issues w/ Borderlands 2 RU.
For those who have Borderlands 2 RU Version, you're also getting Borderlands 2 Worldwide Edition.
Cheers!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #103 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 04:07:26 PM »
I received this from Amazon today!  And the preorder code came in an email.  I just installed it and downloaded the "Premier Club" with the code.  I'm looking at the nifty menu screen and listening to the ambient music while sipping some tea.  I love moments like this.  Few games bring on the anticipation like this anymore.  I'm sure I'll be posting more after I dive into it.

Installed it? Are you on the PC?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 04:31:39 PM »
No, Xbox.  A couple of years ago, they added the ability to install games to the hard drive.  If you choose to install, the system copies the whole disc.  Then when you launch the game, the disc gets verified, and quits spinning entirely.  Best system update by far.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #105 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »
That does sound pretty awesome actually. Cool! I haven't really used my Xbox in ages.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #106 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 09:21:40 PM »
It causes most games to load faster as well.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #107 on: Thursday, September 20, 2012, 11:29:38 PM »
This game is amazing. As good as the first game was...this one is just so much better. I just hit lvl 17, I have to work in 8 hours, and there's no way that I'm going to stop playing anytime soon.

I played co-op with 1 other person until around lvl 13 or so and it was slightly challenging towards the latter levels, but solo it seems easier. Could just be because I got some decent gear. Co-op is certainly more fun, as with the first.

The game also runs really smoothly, which is nice because some of my other games (Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3 namely) struggle a little bit maxed out.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: Friday, September 21, 2012, 07:01:36 AM »
It was a frustrating start for me.  The first game eases you into the difficulty curve as you ramp up your character's attributes, like how many items you can hold, and how many guns you can quick-select.  In this one, you are thrown into some tough mobs while still wet behind the ears.  I've died numerous times.  The frustrations for early characters are still there, and amplified.  Trying to decide which guns, shields, etc to keep and which to throw away is an ordeal, since stats (still) don't give you anywhere near enough information.  This is one area I hoped to see improved, but it really wasn't.  Then I reached a certain place (
(click to show/hide)
), and things got a lot more manageable.  More quick-select slots, more weapon slots, some good weapons to find, and a place to put my stuff.

Enemies seem smarter this time around.  The badasses are more dismaying than ever.  Shooting them often feels like hitting them with tennis balls.  Enemy spawning also got more hairy.  Waves of them keep popping up almost right on top of you.  Eventually, they stop, or slow down?  (Not sure how this works yet.)  But at first, I thought the spawning system was broken, with bad guys popping up so much that you could do nothing but fight them.  Looting, choosing gear and exploring seemed out of the question.

Vehicle controls still have the same dumb 2-stick controls.  Instead of letting you throttle and steer it with the left, and aim the turret with the right (as it should be), you can only aim in the direction that you're looking.  The vehicle always goes where you're looking with the right stick, totally neglecting one entire axis on the left stick (which is only used as throttle).  Another hope dashed.  Oh well.

Beware of some apparent bone-headedness on the saved data.  From what I've been reading, it may be possible to wipe out your badass rank if you switch characters on the same profile.  The intent was to make the badass rank global across your characters (itself a boneheaded thing to do).  The reality may be that starting a new character on the same profile wipes out the badass data from the global file (profile).  But the challenges you completed to earn it are still considered completed, globally!  So there is no way to make up the lost ground on that one profile.  If this is true, GBX has some fires to put out, and fuck them for letting this get through to the released version.  Since I play solo, what I'll do for now is use a different profile for each character I create.  It doesn't matter that I can only go online with Axton.  (Yes, I started out with the soldier again.  Haha!)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #109 on: Friday, September 21, 2012, 09:43:54 AM »
Good to hear there's actually a challenge this time.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: Friday, September 21, 2012, 11:21:11 AM »
That it is, and once you get a foothold in the world and the gear, it's great fun!  Performance is very smooth, and there's an extra layer of polish on everything since the 1st game.  You can tell it's the same engine, down to the quirks like your sprint getting stopped by a pebble one inch high and visible geometry not always in the same place as collision geometry.  But it all feels more refined.  I'm having a blast (in more ways than one).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #111 on: Friday, September 21, 2012, 11:25:23 AM »
I am playing Guild Wars 2 and I feel like I am having the MMORPG version of fun you guys are having.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #112 on: Friday, September 21, 2012, 12:55:02 PM »
I wonder what causes the badass rank issue. I've got 2 characters on the same profile and haven't had an issue. I got my badass rank up near 1000 with my siren, then made an assassin and had all the bonuses of the badass rank, but was able to do all the challenges over again. I went back onto my siren and her stuff is still all the same, except with the increased badass rank from what my assassin did.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: Friday, September 21, 2012, 01:04:26 PM »
I don't know.  But enough people are experiencing this to be alarming.  It seems related to game data being saved in 2 different places: your normal save file, and your profile.  I want to believe that some users are being stupid, but I haven't seen any truly reassuring answers yet.  I want to see more official input on the subject.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #114 on: Friday, September 21, 2012, 10:24:45 PM »
It might also have to do with the save also being stored in the cloud or on a USB memory stick. I don't ever use a stick with my console, and have cloud saving disabled (I only own 1 xbox, would rather not wait for it to sync cloud saves if I'm not using them).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #115 on: Saturday, September 22, 2012, 06:54:56 AM »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: Saturday, September 22, 2012, 07:01:50 AM »
Yeah, I don't understand how people can trust that cloud thing.  Forza 4 in particular was a horror show.  In conjunction with the developer's horrid policies to prevent cheating online, many users were left with invalidated game profiles (read: save progress), and had to start all over.  I would only ever use the cloud as yet another backup, which would only work if the game allows me to copy my save files instead of just moving them.  Fortunately, BL2 does.  I have the cloud disabled at the moment, but I've been thinking about giving it a go for backups.

But with BL2, GBX apparently did a stupid thing.  They save the global (for all characters) part of the saved data into your profile.  I mean your Xbox account's profile, which is one big dumping ground for the system and for inconsiderate developers.  Your profile cannot be backed up without shenanigans such as copying from a USB stick to a PC hard drive.  If you save it on one box and recover it later on another, or anything else happens to it, you can lose game data saved in it.  In the BL2 case, that means your save file can go out of sync with the saved data in your profile.

After reading all of the 2 main threads at the BL2 forums (one in General Discussion, one in Tech Support) I still think this problem is cause for concern, and there still is no definitive answer on causes, prevention or solutions.

Edit:
Forbes -> Dark Souls easter egg hidden in BL2.

Heheh!  There's also a nod to Skyrim.  "I used to be a Vault hunter like you.  Then I took a [something] to the knee."  Dammit.  I heard it, and now I can't remember it exactly.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #117 on: Saturday, September 22, 2012, 07:38:47 AM »
Edit:
Heheh!  There's also a nod to Skyrim.  "I used to be a Vault hunter like you.  Then I took a [something] to the knee."  Dammit.  I heard it, and now I can't remember it exactly.
LOL! Here ya go.
BL2 - Skyrim Easter Egg.

There's a Minecraft easter egg in BL2, as well...

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: Saturday, September 22, 2012, 08:01:39 AM »
Not quite.  What I heard was a complete paraphrase, including taking a hit to the knee.  The line came from one of the random citizens in that town.  I missed Roland's reference, to be honest.

Edit:
The badass bug.

After watching a minute or so, hop ahead to 2:10.  When that starts to drag, hop ahead to 4:30.  Nasty, no?
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 22, 2012, 08:51:41 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #119 on: Saturday, September 22, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »
He doesn't even have a second character that I'm seeing, which makes me think it isn't related to starting a new character. The one thing I see him do that I have never done is exit to dashboard with a character already selected. I'm not sure why, but I ALWAYS back out to the title screen before exiting to dashboard. I also always exit to dashboard before shutting the system off. It's a mild OCD type thing I do with all my games, maybe it has saved me here (and will probably reinforce this habit lol).