Author Topic: What I'd like to see in Borderlands 2  (Read 42733 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
What I'd like to see in Borderlands 2
« on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 01:18:43 AM »
Other than networking that works consistently and a more PC-centric UI for the PC version. Just some thoughts I had.

1) Armor: Come on, you know you want to see new armors that change your characters look for co-op.

2) Crafting: I'd like to see enemies drop crafting material. Like parts of armors and guns. Then you could either take them to a gunsmith or armor smith to have something made, or you might be able to do it yourself (which would also level up that ability...the better you are, the better the gun/armor). Taking a cue from Guild Wars, you could disassemble the weapons you find and throw the parts together. Pull off the barrel of an accurate gun to increase accuracy, or the magazine from another gun to slap into another. The better the part, the better the final outcome.

3) Environment variation: The desert is nice and all, but one can only take so much brown. Lets get some snowy areas or forest/jungles!

4) More co-op abilities: What I mean by this are abilities that can really take advantage of teamwork. What if Brick had an ability that knocked enemies down, and then Lilith had an ability that would deal extra damage to knocked down foes? Or Lilith could freeze them (with a new Ice type) and Brick could shatter? Used by the individual they would be kinda weak, but used in combo would add some depth to multiplayer.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: What I'd like to see in Borderlands 2
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 02:30:17 AM »
All good suggestions.  I do worry a bit about the environments, though.  I get so sick of seeing the standard environment types in games over and over again.  Here's the jungle level... here's the underground lava river.  Here's the freezing snowfield.  I'd like to see them get more creative.  Have them delve into an ancient alien city that's been abandoned for thousands of years, or have them invade a station or world that only exists to support pirates and criminals, leaving you with a whole big fat group of dudes to blow apart in seedy bars and crazy rundown buildings that sit beneath a darkened sky.  Something more creative.

But yeah, I'd love to see all of that.  Especially the crafting.  I don't know how they missed that opportunity... but hopefully that's something they look into.  Either for an expansion or sequel.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 05:58:26 AM »
Hmmm... you know its hard to say for me. I don't want it to go into more of a direction of a massive multiplayer game, keep it more in a scope with cooperative play in mind. I would like:

Better quests: You know, stuff better than fetch quests and the generic go-kill-this-enemy-type. Go more creative like some defend an area or multiple objective quests.

More vehicles: This would tie in with better quests. Make some vehicles that are equipped with different weapon types, flame throwers or nail guns and make more use of them in quests and most important: multi-passenger vehicles!

Better bosses: This is probably one of the weakest points of Borderlands. Make some better bosses that actually require strategy with online coop and perhaps make a single player version for solo players.

Those are the main things I can think of. I actually wouldn't like so much for a crafting system since I think it's something more for MMOs. The coop ability stuff would be awesome though, stuff like that would had another layer of tactics to the game and I could also go for some more creative environments.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 07:57:59 AM »
1)Melee Weapons
One thing I felt was missing - especially for Brick - was the ability to have straight-up melee weapons equipped. Brick is the perfect class to be the expect w/ these skills, since he is a berserker and all - and can lay waste to people up close and personal w/ his bare hands. Let's have some baseball bats, axes, frying pans, etc - yes, it did wonders for having Melee Weapons in L4D2 and there were classes in HGL that specialized in this - BL should join the club.

2)Crafting Weapons / Disassembling Weapons For The Parts / Upgrading Weapons
I know the dev's were asked about this - and they left it out due to the fact that had insane amounts of weapons in-game. One of the best features of HGL was that you could make weapons, based on the "recipes" you find and if you have the "correct" parts. Also, you could break weapons into their pieces and do what you want w/ the parts - maybe make another well; sell the parts; give them away to another player; etc. Also, like HGL, Torchlight, and many other ARPG's - there should be socketed item slots - where I can upgrade my weapons by adding runes and gems and stuff to them if I have the socketed-item slot. Why not allow this kind of customization? Cheaters already run rampant w/ modifying the weapon game-files on ALL of the systems anyways, so let them be able to customize stuff in-game...

3)Vehicles - deeper vehicular combat / customization of vehicles / more vehicles types
Originally, BL was to have more different vehicles and a little bit more customization than what's actually in the game. Some of this incomplete code has been locked-out of the game - and people been messing w/ it. Due to time constraints and that they didn't have more time to fully-develop it, it was left on the cutting room floor. Let's expand on this, Gearbox.
Rumor is - an upcoming Borderlands DLC might be focused on vehicles entirely.

4)Improved Optional Storytelling Methods
The storytelling, dialogue, and presentation of this is by no means bad in Borderlands, when it's done - see the opening video and some of Tannis' journals. Also, see their Brothers In Arms games, too - it's extremely well-done. The thing is, they didn't want to slow Borderlands's action-game style pace down for the action players - especially in Co-Op mode - where players are always voting to skip cut-scene sequences, which a lot of players do all the time Guild Wars. It's just...I think they really could've used optional ways to convey the story more so.

Here's my thoughts - employ some optional storytelling devices. Think like a Codex system like DAO, The Witcher, or even (a voiced-one like) Mass Effect has to give the player more additional information about the game, the gameworld and its characters; more Bioshock style audio logs to pick-up in the gameworld to give the player more info (some of the best storytelling was Tannis' journal quest); and even maybe video logs for the player to pick up like in Dead Space. Hell, there could even be Achievements for players finding all these audio logs, video logs, or whatever in-game - making it even very worthwhile for MP gamers to go find all of these things in-game together - even if they don't look through them while they're playing online.

Likely, most players would NOT dive through reading, listening, and absorbing all this optional storytelling stuff during MP; they'd do it during SP mode - this would really satisfy the gamers who want more story out of their game.

I'm sure there's others things I will probably think of later, but I'll do it in another post...

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 10:05:30 AM »
I agree with pretty much everything mentioned here, especially armor. Armor slots, even if not visual, would give more depth to the upgrades instead of just "which gun do I use?" I got very picky about gun types and stats on them, and ended up paying attention to value more than stats when looting, unless it was an epic or legendary submachine gun. Even then I just looked to see if it had the dmg/accuracy/rate of fire spread I wanted.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 11:15:31 AM »
I agree with pretty much everything mentioned here, especially armor. Armor slots, even if not visual, would give more depth to the upgrades instead of just "which gun do I use?" I got very picky about gun types and stats on them, and ended up paying attention to value more than stats when looting, unless it was an epic or legendary submachine gun. Even then I just looked to see if it had the dmg/accuracy/rate of fire spread I wanted.

I remember them saying somewhere they had armor sets and all of that stuff originally, but it really bogged-down the framerate - especially on the console systems. So, they removed it and did the shield system as a quick-fix.

But, yeah - I'd like to have BOTH armor and shields set-ups, in a future BL game.
That or they really gotten really deepen the shield set-up and make they upgradable and add even more stats to them.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 01:37:09 PM »
I'm guessing by bogged down, they meant framerate and such due to the extra models and textures in game. While that would be really cool, I'd be happy with just more item slots. I mean in something like Diablo or Torchlight, you have several item slots (10+?), and in Borderlands it's 4 types (weapon, shield, grenade mod, and class mod). Sure you could have up to 4 weapons, but I never really focused on more than one, unless I was low on ammo. I tried to level up my sniper rifle skill, but with high accuracy SMGs and high SMG skill, I could take someone down faster with that at anything but extremely long range.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 03:14:38 PM »
I'm guessing by bogged down, they meant framerate and such due to the extra models and textures in game.
Yup - that's exactly it.
Let me find this Interview in which they stated this was the problem.

EDIT:
Found it!
It was from IGN's interview w/ Gearbox's Senior Designer Paul Hellquist and Director Matt Armstrong.

IGN: Did you have to trim away things that you could equip on your character? Like were there more ideas at the start, for instance armor, or something to that effect, and it just didn't work with what you were going for?

Armstrong: In the prototype we had a paper doll system. We had gloves, boots, pants, armor and a helmet because that's what those games do. Much like the random level generation, that's what those games do, so we tried that to see how it worked. The thing is, we're a first-person shooter, and I'm equipping myself on a paper doll and eating up a lot of memory and a lot of performance and a lot of time to do something that I never see and something I never really get a strong sense of the feel of.

It's not a stat game. It's not me looking at the menus, spending all my time swapping around my armor and looking at how the stats change. It's more visceral and in the world and in-combat. People were just not interested in the armor. It was kind of neat to change what your character looked like, but then you never saw yourself anyway.

We removed that stuff as a design decision as much as a performance issue because it wasn't paying off. We simplified that down to a shield and made the shields really interesting and they do different effects and different abilities, and it was much more true to the first-person shooter game that we were making. Most the decisions that were made were for design. We're very close to what our original intent for what this game should be.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 03:40:04 PM by MysterD »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 03:55:57 PM »
I agree with Que that it doesn't have to be your typical environments, just some variation. Hell, Pandora is a planet and apparently there are ways off and on planets (TK calls you an offworlder). So why not allow the player to hop to different planets, each with its own kind of landscape and enemy critters?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 04:04:16 PM »
I agree with Que that it doesn't have to be your typical environments, just some variation.
That'd be cool w/ me.

Hell, Pandora is a planet and apparently there are ways off and on planets (TK calls you an offworlder). So why not allow the player to hop to different planets, each with its own kind of landscape and enemy critters?
I think this might be the plan w/ Borderlands 2 or Borderworlds - which is a game-title they actually have trademarked - or whatever they hell they actually decide to call the next BL game.

W/ the way the first BL game was going by the end, I think this interplanetary warfare thing could hopefully be where it's headed....
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 03, 2011, 09:12:27 AM »
And by soon, they meant today. Game Informer is supposed to have the info and the game will be shown at Gamescom in like 2 weeks.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, August 07, 2011, 06:11:33 AM »
GameBanshee - BL2 info.

A couple of posters on the official Gearbox forums has started to post some details from Game Informer's feature on the just-announced sequel to Borderlands, which apparently will include more dynamic quests, improved AI and all-new weapons.

-Co-op will stick to 4 players
    -Different Variety of Vehicles, one being a Bandit Technical, and the article states there will be a vehicle with 4 seats.
    -Eridium, can be used to enhance weapons or are the only Currency to purchase the most powerful weapons in the world
    -Bearded drawf guy is Salvador, the Gunzerker. Special ability is Dual-wielding. Any weapon can be dual-wield.
    -The original Vault Hunters will be support NPC's.
    -Bandits now have their own brand of weaponry.
    -Each manufacturer will now have their own weapon styling/color/personality.
    -Weapons can have custom decals and enhancements.
    -Enemies are more responsive, and actually interact with each other better.
    -The players will also have interacting dialogues, similar to those in Left 4 Dead.

(...)

1. Enemies are going to be much more varied and ai greatly improved
    2. It looks like there will not be any new elements added(see below)
    3. There will be a new kind of element item called eridium and while it wont do damage like a typical element it will enhance things that other elements can do and also improve guns or vehicles in general, it also will be used as a form of currency
    4. Skill tree will be same traditional 3 branch system as used in first game
    5. They hinted that coop would still be only 4 players but did not outright confirm it
    6. Story missions will no longer be static, I.E. if you need to rescue somebody as a mission but take too long that story arc will continue and the story will change for you
    7. claptrap will be back in some form
    8. the 4 characters from the original will be npc's
    9. Guns manufacturers will have a unique theme for their guns
    10. There will be pickups that allow temporary buffs sort of like the cores from general knoxx.
    11. Gearbox is getting rid of all the old weapons and starting from scratch.
    12. No mention of gun customization or crafting.
    13. This game is going to be Epicly epic.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 01:57:24 PM »
I've been keeping an eye on this GameInformer page about Borderlands developments.  As events happen, the grayed-out links fill in.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, August 14, 2011, 02:00:14 PM »
I've been keeping an eye on this GameInformer page about Borderlands developments.  As events happen, the grayed-out links fill in.

Awesome find, Cobra.
I'm gonna have to keep my eye on that, too.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2011, 12:24:35 AM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2011, 10:21:23 AM »
Not their best teaser, but a Borderlands with more varied environments will be much appreciated.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2011, 04:16:31 PM »
Awesome sauce.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #19 on: Friday, August 19, 2011, 07:54:02 PM »
Destructoid -> Borderlands 2 preview.

The bandits that inhabit the world of Borderlands 2 are now split into factions, which don't seem to get along very well. One enemy called the Nomad Torturer has a massive shield with a Psycho Midget tied to the front. This Midget is not very happy about his situation, and if you can shoot him free, he will start attacking the Torturer which allows you to flank him and shoot him from the sides or from behind.

;D

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, August 20, 2011, 10:01:24 AM »
Gearbox sure loves midgets. 

And I'm just playing through Borderlands now.  It's surprisingly fun.  I bought it a while ago on a Steam sale but never actually got around to playing.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Saturday, August 20, 2011, 01:16:40 PM »
I'm playing through it again.  It's one of those games I can't stay away from for long.  What character are you using?

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, August 20, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »
I have a level 25 Hunter right now.  It's a pretty fun class, especially once you get a revolver.  Before that, it is a bit slow.

I want to try the Siren girl, mainly because I have no idea how that class would play.  At all.  In fact, I'm going to do that right now.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, August 20, 2011, 07:15:56 PM »
My main was a Siren. The blast thing is good to run away from fights or get some distance, but once you level it up it becomes pretty devastating. You can recharge its use by killing dudes so once you get it leveled you can use it almost continuously.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, August 20, 2011, 08:05:34 PM »
Yeah, the siren is a lot of fun.  I'm using one right now.  She's great for beginners too, because phasewalk can get her out of a lot of jams.  The hunter gets to be good after you develop him.  With the right COM and skill points, bloodwing can be sent out continuously.  He's murder with revolvers, machine pistols and repeaters.  Never much cared about his sniper skills because revolvers get accurate enough in the game to snipe with.  Keeps you from having to split up the skill points.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, August 20, 2011, 08:09:51 PM »
I just hope the scaling is done better in Borderlands 2.
Simply, it sucks in Borderlands 1 - and is my biggest complaint.

DLC should scale to my character upon moment I enter the DLC, not based on...well, see that crazy-ass chart.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, August 20, 2011, 08:14:47 PM »
I just want BL2 to be about 3 times as hard. I almost never found the first game difficult and that frustrated the hell out of me. I really loved it and had tons of fun but it was just way, way, way too easy.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, August 20, 2011, 08:37:19 PM »
The problem was with the quest XP. If you follow all the quests then you outlevel everything pretty quickly. They need to keep that in check.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, August 20, 2011, 08:39:53 PM »
That or just give us a difficulty slider that can go up high enough to make things nearly impossible. I would have been so much more motivated to find better stuff if I ever felt like I needed it. Mostly when I found a better weapon the initial rush of being able to kill everything almost instantly went away after an hour because I'd get bored. The best times I had were the very few where we were actually fighting for our lives or trying to do something way above our level and just feeling the epicness of it all.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, August 20, 2011, 08:58:35 PM »
Remember those two giant skags? I freaking ran out of bullets in every gun during that fight.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, August 20, 2011, 09:04:25 PM »
Haha, I know! That was awesome. Or that time when we were dealing with the turret in that big junkyard area, alternately dying and reviving each other. And the stupid time we woke up that big flying thing when we really shouldn't have and got bombarded to death.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, August 20, 2011, 09:07:04 PM »
Good times, good times. More stuff like that, Borderlands 2.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, August 21, 2011, 07:00:44 AM »
In Playthrough 2, everything levels up with you.  [Edit:  Que, have you played the game since it was patched to make this happen?]  If BL2 gets any harder than the Knoxx DLC in PT2, I won't enjoy it.  I thought that was hard as nails, motivating me plenty to learn the best skill-points distributions, the best COMs, and to experiment with all sorts of weapons.  PT1, yeah, you can far outlevel the enemies if you aren't careful.  That's no fun, not only because it's too easy, but because it stalls out your character's development (XP/skill points, gun proficiencies).  Fortunately, 2 of the DLCs--Zombie Island and Robolution--level up multiple times during PT1.  They don't level up with you as in PT2, but rather jump 5 or more levels from time to time.  By keeping an eye on the mission log, you can choose when to go there and actually have a good time in PT1.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, August 21, 2011, 02:56:40 PM »
I probably have no idea what you're talking about. I don't really play games anymore. I never even finished the game on a single go-around, even though I got fairly close. I just don't have the time and I no longer give a fuck about spending that much time entertaining myself when I have so much work to do. It sort of sucks because I miss being excited about games. There's just so little I'll let myself indulge in.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, September 03, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »
14 minutes of gameplay footage, supposedly leaked.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, September 03, 2011, 08:03:17 PM »
Judging from that video... that's pretty much what I'd like to see in BL2.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, September 04, 2011, 05:24:21 AM »
More Borderlands with improvements and additions.  That's what I want to see, and that's what we seem to be getting.  Yay!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, September 04, 2011, 05:32:03 AM »
So awesome. That looks fun as hell. Totally on board.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 04, 2012, 05:14:05 PM by MysterD »