Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 5104 times)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
What are you reading?
« on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 02:03:27 PM »
So much talk about a book forum and no one even posted a thread. :P I'll take the initiative...

I'm reading The Given Day by Dennis Lehane (who also wrote Mystic River and Shutter Island). It's a lengthy read, I'm only about halfway through thus far but it is quite good.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 02:05:30 PM »
I started Atlas Shrugged. It is pretty good so far. The characters seem to have very complex psychological profiles, which makes it absorbing.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 02:17:46 PM »
Atlas Shrugged is great, took me awhile to get through it since it's a pretty heavy read.  Right now I'm currently reading William Gibson's Count Zero which started off a little slow but is now going full steam and is great so far.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 02:22:03 PM »
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 02:23:50 PM »

I've been meaning to check that out sometime since I love his show, No Reservations.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 06:41:12 PM »

I read that over the summer. Really liked it. It got repetitive, but you cant beat the colorful anecdotes.

I just got done reading Superfreakonomics and I am now reading A Briefer History of Time.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 09:07:26 PM »
and I am now reading A Briefer History of Time.

I picked this up and started reading it at the store and now I really want it. Let me know how you like it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 06:50:33 AM »
What are you reading?
This thread. :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 11:33:48 AM »
I just finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (ねじまき鳥クロニクル) by Haruki Murakami.  Had to read it in English, of course, as it would have taken me 40 years to translate a book that big with my limited knowledge, and I'd probably have only understood a quarter of it if I was lucky.

Not for everyone, but a pretty amazing book, and one that hit me in very personal places for a number of reasons.  I'll just say that by the end of it, I needed a smoke.  I needed one during the last half hour of reading, so I went and got one and finished it after parking my car somewhere random on my way home from work.

Very surreal, very long and rambling, and not the kind of thing you can recommend to everyone, but an amazing novel for a variety of reasons.  I loved every second of it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 22, 2010, 01:16:57 PM »
MediaArtHistories, a look into media against the backdrop of art history.

Not an entertaining read but quite insightful.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 22, 2010, 10:28:31 PM »
Well I finished up Count Zero yesterday and liked it.  I am now reading the follow up book to it, Mona Lisa Overdrive

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 12:45:49 AM »
I just read Kick-Ass, pretty good ( especially since I not a comic book reader). I hope the movie is as good as the book.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 12:19:13 PM »
Just finished The Given Day. Fantastic read. I'm now starting Dostoevsky's The Idiot.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 08:23:48 AM »
In the last few weeks I've read:

The Catcher in the Rye
100 Years of Solitude
The Lovely Bones
Catch 22

The Catcher in the Rye was good. I've been meaning to read it for a while but the author dying pushed me over the edge. It was good. I think I would've gotten more out of it had I read it in high school. We were supposed to read it then but instead we had to read a Canadian book which turned out to be a complete waste of time.

100 Years of Solitude was fantastic. I think it could have been about 50 pages shorter and I would have liked it much more. Not that the ending was bad, it just dragged on a bit at times.

The Lovely Bones was not that good. I picked it up because I remembered hearing really good things about the author. After reading it I think I may have confused her with somebody else.

Catch-22, couldn't do it. I really liked the first 50 pages or so and then got to 100 and couldn't read anymore. It was all just too much of the same. I randomly flipped through the book and I didn't feel like I was missing anything. I'll keep going with it gradually but it isn't engaging enough to read continuously.

Right now I'm reading The End of Food. Non-fiction about the food industry.

Next is Crime and Punishment. I'm really excited to read this one because I loved Notes From Underground.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 10:04:47 AM »
True to my military/spy thriller form, I'm reading A Ghost War by Alex Berenson.  I just finished The Silent Man by the same author.  Before that it was Critical Mass by Whitley Strieber.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 11:12:29 AM »
I finished up Mona Lisa Overdrive a couple of weeks ago and I'm now reading the first of the Watch series, Nightwatch by Sergei Lukyanenko which has been pretty good so far.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 02:30:53 PM »
helter skelter - it's not the easiest read, but it's definitely interesting.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
I haven't read anything in seemingly forever.  My brain has completely shut down.

Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite books, though.  I should read it again.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 05:38:12 PM »
I haven't read anything in seemingly forever.  My brain has completely shut down.

Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite books, though.  I should read it again.

Yea I need to do that too, I read it in high school and now I forgot most of it.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 07:07:35 PM »
Childbearing year

yeah yeah..shut up.
Taken.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 11:28:10 PM »
Catch-22, couldn't do it. I really liked the first 50 pages or so and then got to 100 and couldn't read anymore. It was all just too much of the same. I randomly flipped through the book and I didn't feel like I was missing anything. I'll keep going with it gradually but it isn't engaging enough to read continuously.

This is probably my favorite book ever. You should really stick with it, you won't regret it.