Author Topic: Arsis - United in Regret  (Read 19218 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Arsis - United in Regret
« on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 07:16:41 AM »
It's finally "out"!  I can't tell you how much I've been looking forward to this since I got around to picking up A Diamond For Disease.  I'm listening to it right now, and first impressions are... hell yes.  Will give a more detailed "review" tonight probably after I've listened to it a few times at work today.

Woo!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Arsis - United in Regret
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 01:34:46 PM »
It's finally "out"!  I can't tell you how much I've been looking forward to this since I got around to picking up A Diamond For Disease.  I'm listening to it right now, and first impressions are... hell yes.  Will give a more detailed "review" tonight probably after I've listened to it a few times at work today.

Woo!

I just gave some of their stuff a listen to on Pandora, good stuff, I'll definitely be "getting" some of their albums if I can.

EDIT: Also you might like this but they are on tour right now and have a few stops in Cali according to their website:

http://www.worshipdepraved.com/

Offline joeactually

• Rookie
  • Life sucks. That's your lesson. Go enjoy it.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 06:19:34 PM »
Never heard of them, what are they like?
YOU'RE WELCOME!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 07:51:01 PM »
Pretty unique.  I'd say there's some obvious Carcass influence (Heartwork era), but that's really more in the tone and a few of the more chunky bits.  They definitely fall into the "melodic death" category, but not like what you're probably used to.  Much, much heavier on the death end.  There's also some thrash influence (particularly in the drumming).  What's cool is its just two guys, one who does all the vocals, guitars, bass, etc., and the other who does the drums.  They're both quite talented, too.  Pyro introduced me to them a while ago and I was pretty impressed, went out and grabbed their first album (A Celebration of Guilt).  I'd say it's definitely best to try the albums in chronological order, and definitely give each a couple of listens before really making a judgment.  Because of the Carcassy tone you've got a lot of cool sludgy mids, and the crazy-fast playing can lead to a sound that seems a bit chaotic at first.  Once you get a bit more familiar with the sound, though, it quickly becomes apparent how tight the compositions are, and there's a lot of really memorable riffing that sounds unique to the band.  Which is always a good thing.  This isn't generic metal.  It's very inspired.  You can tell to some extent with the lyrics as well, which aren't necessarily the best I've ever seen, but they're better than average for sure.  So much shit out there in the world of metal wordplay.

So... yeah.  That's my little Arsis in 20 seconds bit.

Been listening to UiR quite a bit today, and I fucking love it.  Not sure that I like it quite as much as the other two disks, but that may be because it's trying to be a bit different.  There's a little more experimentation going on with the standard songwriting.  Sometimes it works well, sometimes not quite as much.  Still, it's a very worthy album with some good catchy stuff.  There's at least a couple of really unique pieces on there that sound just plain fantastic.  I'm particularly fond of the last track, Hopeless Truth.

Anyone who was looking forward to the album, definitely snag it.  It's good stuph.

And about the tours... fuckers are only touring in southern Cali.  I'm sad like you wouldn't believe.

EDIT - Wait... maybe Orangevale is up north.  It still isn't near me, damn it, but it would be doable...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 02, 2006, 08:10:20 PM »
So I've been listening to United in Regret more, and I have further thoughts.

Pros: it isn't A Celebration of Guilt 2
Cons: it isn't A Celebration of Guilt 2

There's definitely some great stuff on the album, but I don't think it holds up as well as their first release.  The reason is that it isn't quite as unique.  Their sense of melody seems to have gone off center stage a bit and more technical, but slightly more common death metal licks have taken over.  To a degree.  There's still plenty of good stuff, it's just that a lot of the songs aren't as outright catchy as stuff from the first album.  That said, the last 2 songs on the album (The Things You Said -- and Hopeless Truth) are *fuck ing awe some*, worth the price of the album by themselves if you ask me.  Lust Before the Maggots Conquest is another winner, which probably explains why they released it as an MP3 track before the album actually released.  Which... heh, technically it still hasn't.  November 7th.  Anyway, so those three tracks are probably the biggest standouts.  Oh, the Humanity, I Speak Through Shadows, and a couple others almost make it to the level of the big three, but not quite.  The others are all somewhat less cool overall, but are still quality metal tracks with a distinctly Arsis sound... just maybe not quite distinctly Arsis songwriting.

Nonetheless, those last 2 songs... holy cow.  I could listen to those all day.  I think this is a classic case of sophomore slump.  It isn't bad, and it's worth buying for sure, but it just isn't as groundbreaking as A Celebration of Guilt or even A Diamond for Disease.  That said, they still have huge potential and I'm still going to be following their every move.  I'm not unhappy with United in Regret at all, and I'll be  picking it up at the store soon as it gets the real release.