Author Topic: Dead Rising (X360) will NOT Get A Patch....  (Read 6577 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Dead Rising (X360) will NOT Get A Patch....
« on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 01:57:14 PM »
Link:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153521

Dead Rising Fans: No Patch For You
Small text issue on non-HD televisions will remain as is.
by Patrick Klepek, 09/11/2006
62 of 62 users recommend this story.

Several weeks ago 1UP reported on complaints stemming from Dead Rising players frustrated about the game's small text size (used for issuing missions, dialogue, etc.) The text is readable, albeit tiny, on an HDTV, but the same cannot be said for anyone with a standard definition television (i.e. yours truly). Capcom admitted there was an issue there, said they were looking into it. In the ensuing weeks, we've waited.

And waited. And waited. Finally, we decided to follow-up with Capcom about the issue's status, and the response wasn't encouraging. "Dead Rising was optimized for HD and we offered some suggestions for SD TV owners," said a company representative.

So, the question is, will there ever be a patch? Unfortunately, that's a no. "Due to the amount of text and the size of the patch necessary to change the text, a patch isn't possible for this issue," said the company. "We had asked the team if it was even possible but ... due to the scope of what a patch would need to cover, it wasn't possible."

As it stands, no patch is coming for Dead Rising players -- but maybe they'll change their mind if you yell loud enough. Don't get me wrong; readable text or not, Dead Rising's still incredibly fun, but Capcom's decision today ultimately stands as disappointing.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Dead Rising (X360) will NOT Get A Patch....
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 04:26:50 PM »
I think Capcom should at least offer a $10 refund or discount on a future Capcom game or something. Show some goodwill at least.  You have to admit there are some pretty glaring deficiencies in the game that are easily noticible playing it for less than two hours.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 05:43:21 PM »
That stands as the only glaring deficiency in my book, but I agree that it's really a terrible one.  I don't care if it's optimized for HD or not, that's just plain idiotic that you even have the problem in the first place.  Plug it in to a motherfucking TV and try it, you idiots.  That's really shoddy that they aren't offering a patch, although in their favor they basically just said that they tried to go that route and found it was totally unfeasible.  But I personally think the game should be recalled and new copies should be sent out to stores at the *very* least.  A damn shame, too, because ultimately I think the game is pure awesome.  But I get sick of getting dicked just because I don't want an HDTV, so if I wasn't just as happy using this with my PC monitor, I'd be pissed as hell.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 06:53:10 PM »
Wait, how the fuck does the ammount of text make the patch too large? Shouldnt it just be a replacement font?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »
I guess either the amount of text is insanely massive, or the text is actually images.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 07:07:04 PM »
That is kinda shocking.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 11:05:05 PM »
....Doesn't the xbox 360 have a 20gb hard drive?  How can the patch be too big? 

Beyond that, why wouldn't they just fix it in the new version and offer a recall/replacement thing going for people who already bought it like other companies have done in the past?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 11:10:30 PM »
That's exactly what I'm saying.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 11:20:29 PM »
Calling the work too hard is a trick. All they have to do is adjust the fonts and scan the text for irregularities.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2006, 11:42:57 PM »
Well, I'm inclined to give them at least *some* benefit of the doubt.  This is a seriously high-profile title for them and if they could fix this without too much effort it would be in their best interests to do so.  I'm sure there must be some kind of complication.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 05:24:51 AM »
....Doesn't the xbox 360 have a 20gb hard drive?  How can the patch be too big?
Only if you buy the one that has the hard drive.  I'm not sure why they made the hard drive an optional piece for the 360.

On this issue, I'm just really surprised they are just saying, "Sorry.  Thanks for the dough, though."  I mean they could offer at least a little goodwill.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 13, 2006, 05:45:39 AM by scottws »