Author Topic: black templars  (Read 30827 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: black templars
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, January 28, 2007, 11:16:30 PM »
You continue to rock, sir.  Great stuff.  And I continue to suck.  I've been wanting to paint so bad but have had fuck-all time.  And it's just going to get worse with this music thing in February.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, February 07, 2007, 09:27:58 AM »
one more. this time with a lascannon - which is, as the name suggests, a giant laser cannon that makes tanks go boom.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, February 07, 2007, 02:43:01 PM »
I am not impressed.

OK that is very fucking impressive. Good stuff.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, February 07, 2007, 04:30:58 PM »
You're not freehanding the Black Templar Cross, are you?

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, February 07, 2007, 06:31:54 PM »
yeah, actually - on this model anyway. the transfers don't fit the curve of the shoulderpads too well and i was having to repaint over the entire things just to get them to stick, so i thought i'd give freehand a go on this guy.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, February 07, 2007, 06:53:31 PM »
yeah, actually - on this model anyway. the transfers don't fit the curve of the shoulderpads too well and i was having to repaint over the entire things just to get them to stick, so i thought i'd give freehand a go on this guy.

WTH?!  ::) Those are some wicked skills, but if I ever start this up again I an't posting any pics.
Though have you thought about doing any centre pieces or dioramas?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, February 07, 2007, 07:01:55 PM »
Ay ya... well damn. You know the usual compliments. Heh.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, February 08, 2007, 02:18:35 AM »
WTH?!  ::) Those are some wicked skills, but if I ever start this up again I an't posting any pics.
Though have you thought about doing any centre pieces or dioramas?

damn you for putting that thought in my head - i want to get my army finished! i'd love to a "last stand" kind of diorama, with a single marine (or few marines) being overwhelmed by swathes of termagants. dynamic poses with acid damaged armour, termagants leaping into their faces and chainsaws ripping up the filthy xenos scum... damn it! i want to make it now. *no*. army. must paint army.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, February 08, 2007, 03:26:44 AM »
damn you for putting that thought in my head - i want to get my army finished! i'd love to a "last stand" kind of diorama, with a single marine (or few marines) being overwhelmed by swathes of termagants. dynamic poses with acid damaged armour, termagants leaping into their faces and chainsaws ripping up the filthy xenos scum... damn it! i want to make it now. *no*. army. must paint army.

I think we'd all love to you do that! But yes the army comes first!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, February 08, 2007, 05:29:45 PM »
Please don't go painting any Tyranids; I'd hate to be put completely to shame. Of course, if do have some Tyranids ripping your guys apart, it'd be fun to see my guys actually doing it.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #50 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 01:42:54 AM »
Hang isn't that in the 40K lore that the 1st company of the ultra marines were all but wiped out while fighting off a Tyranid horde? I think that was some of the first stuff I read about waaay back when I was first starting my Dark Angels army, and I think there was some art to go along with it, and it looked pretty sweet!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #51 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 02:35:23 AM »
Yeah. That was at the end of the first major invasion from a Tyranid fleet. The Nids attacked the Ultramarine's homeworld and the first company fought to the last man defending their major fortress.

So you were a Dark Angels guy. Have you heard that they're getting a new Codex with all the usual goodies next month?

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, February 10, 2007, 04:41:31 AM »
No I hadn't I don't follow it much other than the odd look around the local store and what I read here.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, March 18, 2007, 01:01:38 PM »
not really relevent to the art board, but i just wanted to say that i had my first battle in years on friday. i played against an old friend of mine who has a dark angels army, and i completely anhiliated him! i lost somewhere around 300 points (1700 point game), while i erradicated his entire army. mwaaahaha, etc. deepstriking three landspeeders and a termi squad behind enemy lines proved to be insanely effective.

oh yeah, i have a few more bits painted, but as i can't get net access from my place, i can't post them at the moment :(.

i've converted and painted the captain lysander model into a dual lightning clawed templar, and i've got my first landspeeder done, i'll post pictures as soon as i am able.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, March 18, 2007, 01:08:50 PM »
Looking forward to it.  I did my first attempting at converting recently... it's crazy addictive.  I'd love to see what you do conversion-wise given your experience.

Take any pictures of your battle?

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, March 18, 2007, 01:16:08 PM »
na, we didn't take any pics, but i'll make sure to next time.

as for the conversion, it's relatively simple - just a bit of filing, a weapons swap, and a few plastic accessories stuck here and there. nothing drastic, but i'm pleased with the results. i've got the pictures on my phone, but rather frustratingly, no memory card reader here to upload them. i saw the conversion you did too, and i have to say, i'm really impressed with the gs work you did on the chains - far beyond what i'm capable of.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, March 18, 2007, 02:25:41 PM »
Thanks!  Those were surprisingly easy.  And a nice undercoat sure hides mistakes nicely... he looks better now.  I've been meaning to take pictures of him primed, but haven't yet because I'm lazy.

We'll all be looking forward to when you get back to a real computer and can show us your new stuff.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: Monday, March 19, 2007, 01:09:23 AM »
Do you already have 1700 points of Black Templars, or did you just do lots of proxying?

I've been meaning to ask you, Beo. Do you use anything like flow release or drying retarders in your paint? I've been thinking of dabbing in them a little and even picked up some bottles yesterday, but I'm just curious about experiences you might have had with them (or if you're just so awesome that you don't need them).

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, March 21, 2007, 09:30:08 AM »
yeah, i've got 1700 points in models, although obviously not a great deal of it is painted yet.

other than water (which i use liberally), i don't use anything in addition to the standard paints. i've never thought of using such things as drying retarders - to be honest it hadn't even crossed my mind that such things existed.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, March 29, 2007, 03:05:43 AM »
Well, you can still count me as impressed then.

So far after a couple of tests I think I like them. You get most of the benifits of water in terms of making the paint smoother and thinner, but you don't loose so much of the color strength. It's kinda cool actually. The only part that seems to be bad  is that when the paint starts to dry  it becomes almost gluish.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 12:32:50 PM »
right, got the images off of my phone at last. here are the latest two additions to my force:

first off a couple of pics of my first landspeeder

next, my marshall - who is a conversion of the captain lysander model. i'm not 100% on the paintjob, and the banner definitely needs something, but i'm not sure what.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 06:02:03 PM »
Impressive.  The marshall is pretty topheavy... looks like he could claw your face off just by looking at you.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 10:39:40 PM »
Damn. Nice job on the banner. I fear for the day I have to paint some sort of logo on something.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 01:20:30 AM »
I fear you.  :-[

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, May 10, 2007, 05:04:36 PM »
not much of an update, but a couple more guys done, along with some very simple chain link fences.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, May 10, 2007, 07:11:26 PM »
Nice!  I dig the terrain stuff.  Haven't experimented with anything in that arena yet.  That's all Sy's territory (as is most everything else...).

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, May 10, 2007, 08:51:22 PM »
How positively fun. I've sorta thought about making something like Tyranid death traps, but for now I'm thinking more generic stuff is better.