Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins -> Update: DAO Ultimate joins GOG  (Read 149161 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: The Awakening in March 2010 maybe? (Reply 469)
« Reply #520 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 02:49:36 PM »
I still don't remember Jarvia, but how are you getting your ass kicked so much? By this stage your team should be fairly powerful! Go through some of the earlier pages of this thread to see some of the tips I listed regarding party management.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: The Awakening in March 2010 maybe? (Reply 469)
« Reply #521 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 04:05:48 PM »
I still don't remember Jarvia, but how are you getting your ass kicked so much? By this stage your team should be fairly powerful! Go through some of the earlier pages of this thread to see some of the tips I listed regarding party management.

I was close last time to killing her (down to 1/4 she had for health), but I had like ZERO potions. I have a ton now, since I left there and been buying them and picking them up in the gameworld and at shops...

I'm gonna try my hand at Jarvia and her band of assassins and archers again, once I finish the quest I'm doing now....
(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #522 on: Sunday, January 24, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »
It's funny, because I think a lot of that highlights why I'm not into it.  For whatever reason none of those things grab me the way they seem to for others.  In particular, the world itself seems generic, trodding down well-worn paths that deliver cliche after cliche with nary a surprise in sight.  He says he always loses interest in the Elder Scrolls games but DA had him riveted... but for me, while the Elder Scrolls games aren't exactly the epitome of originality, the lore goes far deeper, and they stray into different territory where a number of social elements are concerned, and have done a much better job of making distinct nations and regions that truly feel different from everything surrounding them.  This is reflected in both lore, active behavior, and art design.  All of those things felt totally lacking from DA... not because they weren't there, but because they've just been done so many times before, with more conviction.  Despite having a lot of fun with the game as a mechanical entity (and enjoying the great characters, if not so much the character design), the world itself is as flat to me as two-week old soda that's been sitting open in the fridge.  That's ultimately what killed it for me.  I think it's a combo of feeling very much like a game in its limitations and compounding that by feeling very much like a game in its fiction.  Though the Elder Scrolls games have never been known for polish and DA totally outclasses them in that regard (I would venture to say that DA is a superior game), they're still more consistent in terms of what they're attempting to achieve.  They only manage semi-immersion due to the mechanical limitations, but that semi-immersion never really wavers.  DA tries so much harder to feel real and engrossing, yet it constantly drags you out either with loading screens, static environments, not being able to explore something you feel you have the right to, and the outright unoriginality of the fiction itself.

It's a bit frustrating.  I really want to like the game as much as everyone else, but at this point I don't even feel like it's worth the investment of time to load it again.  More than likely it's going to get uninstalled before I ever pick it up again.  I have a much higher chance of replaying Fallout 3 or picking up The Witcher again before I give DA more time.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #523 on: Saturday, January 30, 2010, 06:30:52 AM »

Few days ago, I whipped Jarvia and her cohorts.
(click to show/hide)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #524 on: Saturday, January 30, 2010, 07:31:33 PM »
Return to Ostagar DLC is now available. I think I'll check it out and see if it's good or not.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #525 on: Saturday, January 30, 2010, 07:50:12 PM »
Return to Ostagar DLC is now available. I think I'll check it out and see if it's good or not.

From initial reports, it appears that it's $4.99, and is about 45 minutes to an hour in length.  Not much story, just a lot of combat.  It does fill in a couple plot points, such as what happens to King Kailan but that's it.

Along with Warden's Keep, I don't think I'm gonna pick this one up unless I start a second playthrough beyond the origin stories.  I was considering it but there are lots of good titles coming out in the next couple of weeks... along with ME2 which I have to pick up as well I'm too preoccupied with other stuff.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #526 on: Saturday, January 30, 2010, 08:25:06 PM »
Five bucks for 45 minutes?  Are you fucking kidding me?

Offline wizall

« Reply #527 on: Saturday, January 30, 2010, 09:09:15 PM »
I can drink 20 bucks in 15 minutes.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #528 on: Saturday, January 30, 2010, 10:13:39 PM »
Shit, I've downed 45 bucks in 20 minutes if we're talking booze... but booze and games are not the same.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #529 on: Saturday, January 30, 2010, 10:27:57 PM »
but booze and games are not the same.

I agree. I'd buy a $45 game long before a $45 bottle of booze. Just seems like a much better way to spend the money.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #530 on: Saturday, January 30, 2010, 11:20:50 PM »
Agreed.  I've pretty much stopped drinking altogether now.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #531 on: Saturday, January 30, 2010, 11:59:06 PM »
I'm just going to stop posting in this thread, its pointless now.

Offline wizall

« Reply #532 on: Sunday, January 31, 2010, 12:27:43 AM »
Of course booze and games are different, but put into perspective $5 isn't a whole hell of a lot for an enjoyable 45 minutes. If I can ever get the hang of the combat on the 360 I'd be willing to get this little addition.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #533 on: Sunday, January 31, 2010, 12:52:49 AM »
FYI, Return to Ostagar is not out on PSN yet.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #534 on: Sunday, January 31, 2010, 01:08:21 PM »
FYI, Return to Ostagar is not out on PSN yet.

You know, Bioware w/ small DAO DLC's like say Warden's Keep and Ostagar, they just should've did for DAO w/ their own so-called The Dragon Age Network (or some cool title), which could be like what they got going on w/ Mass Effect 2: The Cerebus Network DLC - where Bioware will just trickle out new DLC's through the network for those who are willing to pay a $15 DLC lifetime price-tag and they'll just toss content out through it when they feel like it for paying members.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #535 on: Sunday, January 31, 2010, 01:19:22 PM »
I've had zero motivation to play this game.  Just hasn't grabbed me (not even factoring in the PS3 issues).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #536 on: Sunday, January 31, 2010, 01:25:54 PM »
I've had zero motivation to play this game.  Just hasn't grabbed me (not even factoring in the PS3 issues).

Hell, I just can't let go of this game...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #538 on: Tuesday, February 02, 2010, 12:30:31 PM »
Looks interesting.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #539 on: Tuesday, February 02, 2010, 01:08:21 PM »
Is it just me or is Alistar a very memorable game character? He reminded me of some of my friends from university.

Actually Xessive, doesn't he remind you of Adonis? haha. :P

edit:

Yes our friend was actually named Adonis.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #540 on: Tuesday, February 02, 2010, 01:47:59 PM »
Is it just me or is Alistar a very memorable game character? He reminded me of some of my friends from university.

edit:

Now that you mention it, yeah kinda! haha ;D

I seem to unintentionally relate characters to people I know. When i play RPGs I think back to our NWN days. Somehow you still influence some of the decisions I make in game worlds. I think "Hmm, what would Noman do in this predicament?"

I'm looking forward to Awakening mainly because I believe it will have substantial content compared to the lackluster DLC around. Although I haven't tried Return to Ostagar yet.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #541 on: Tuesday, February 02, 2010, 03:33:53 PM »

edit:

Alistair kinda reminds me of Carth from KOTOR?
(Was that his name?)

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #542 on: Tuesday, February 02, 2010, 05:32:56 PM »
I tell you what Alistar is: a whiny little self-gratifying hypocrite who I carried for far too long.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #544 on: Wednesday, February 03, 2010, 05:42:51 PM »
DAO: Awakening - Anders Trailer

Heh, seems like he'll be a funny character.  Another mage is a good thing, especially since certain choices you make could limit you to only Morrigan for the entirety of the game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #546 on: Thursday, February 04, 2010, 09:11:33 PM »
I defeated The Broodmother, the other night. God, that was a tough battle, to say the least. But, I made it through, eventually.

Made my way down in Orzammar...
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #547 on: Sunday, February 07, 2010, 06:41:16 AM »
Here's more of the sucky in-game advertising.
Here's the actual "in-game advertising" for DAO - Return to Ostagar DLC...

Basically, all DLC areas in GOLD on your world map are DLC Content.

(click to show/hide)

What sucks is they let you actually start THIS quest - then you are left w/ the cliffhanger that leads to "go buy the DLC," if you want the quest and uber-gear. That's even worse than how "Warden's Keep DLC" does it. At least Warden's Keep DLC before you are given the option to buy it just tells you about the quest and doesn't have you engage in the start of a quest before asking you if you want to buy the rest of it.

I really hate how Bioware's handling the DLC.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 07, 2010, 07:06:12 AM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #548 on: Sunday, February 07, 2010, 07:52:52 AM »
Dude why are you still having such a hard time with the game still? Are you sure you are handling the equipment management and stuff right?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #549 on: Sunday, February 07, 2010, 09:46:33 AM »
I was thinking the same thing.  I played the console version, which was arguably easier.   However, I'm surprised that MysterD is having trouble with nearly every major encounter in the game.  There were only about three encounters for me total that took more than one try.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #550 on: Sunday, February 07, 2010, 10:29:54 AM »
Yea the very first city you visit after the initial period is insanely hard, but the game is fine once you've leveled some after.

So yea, bit surprised.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #551 on: Sunday, February 07, 2010, 11:58:02 AM »
I just defeated Branka.

I took an earlier save, leveled-up a bit (to get more skills - i.e. herbalism); got better equipment switched out Shale w/ Wynne; and basically decimated her.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #552 on: Monday, February 08, 2010, 10:51:58 PM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #553 on: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 02:32:02 PM »
Over 100 hours into this masterpiece.

How Far MyD Is...
(click to show/hide)

EDIT:
DAO: Awakening - Velanna Trailer.
She's an elf that hates humans and can join your party.

« Last Edit: Thursday, February 11, 2010, 06:18:39 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #554 on: Saturday, February 13, 2010, 03:37:42 PM »
MyD has made his way...
(click to show/hide)

EDIT #1 - 2/14/2010.
Yesterday evening, finished main quest, pretty much.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 14, 2010, 11:11:46 AM by MysterD »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #555 on: Sunday, February 14, 2010, 10:56:15 PM »
I am sure the next game tackles that D.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #556 on: Sunday, February 14, 2010, 11:04:27 PM »
I am sure the next game tackles that D.

Riordan and Morrigan talk
(click to show/hide)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #557 on: Sunday, February 14, 2010, 11:38:52 PM »
Something I noticed. That first trailer "sex and violence" with the Manson music was so fucking spoilerific. I was near the landsmeet when I watched it again, and I realized it basically gave away the ending.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #558 on: Monday, February 15, 2010, 12:04:13 AM »
Something I noticed. That first trailer "sex and violence" with the Manson music was so fucking spoilerific. I was near the landsmeet when I watched it again, and I realized it basically gave away the ending.

Come to think of it, yeah...that's a pretty damn good point, Pug!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #559 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 09:44:32 PM »
DAO - Awakening impressions and preview from GameSpot.

BioWare suggests that Awakening isn't about one new whiz-bang feature that totally changes the gameplay, but rather it's about offering more of what fans seem to care about most--a deep story with memorable characters and real consequences for the choices you make. The expansion is being developed by the same team of writers, designers, and artists who created the original game, but it will offer plenty of new stuff to play with, including six new characters to join your party, new elite character classes, tons of new high-level skills, an expanded level cap up to level 35, and more than 500 new items, including new, higher tiers of weapons and armor for your adventuring party.

EDIT:
From Bitmob - No Romances in Awakening expansion.

Bitmob: The sexual relationships in Origins were another polarizing feature -- are those going to make a return in Awakening?

Fernando Melo (of Bioware): They will not. It'll be interesting to see peoples' reactions to it, because it was by far one of the things they enjoyed. I think there was a real risk, though, of us trying to add romances in [that] would've felt tacked on. The story doesn't lend itself to it; when you play through it, you'll realize the pacing is very different from Origins, there's a real impetus to just get on and solve the problems at hand. The characters that you're playing with all have strong enough backgrounds that you would need to really invest a lot of time to turn those characters around into something that was romanceable.

Time will tell; I think that we'll definitely get called out on it, but I think it was one of things that was the right decision to make, rather than trying to shoehorn something in. We'll just have to keep evaluating it based on content-to-content. Some cases where it makes sense we'll absolutely do it, and where it doesn't, we won't.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 19, 2010, 07:17:26 PM by MysterD »