Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins -> Update: DAO Ultimate joins GOG  (Read 142368 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Dragon Age: Origins --> Update - DAO Ultimate PC= $24.97 on Impulse (11-24)
« Reply #600 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »
I actually just got Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition for $15 at Target, PS3 version.
Is all the DLC in that DAO Ultimate Edition for a PS3 a download code?
Or actually on the disc?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #601 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 07:18:51 PM »
Looks like its on the disc since I dont see any codes in the paperwork.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #602 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 07:21:53 PM »
Looks like its on the disc since I dont see any codes in the paperwork.
That's good!
Otherwise, it would kill your 56K. :(

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Dragon Age: Origins
« Reply #603 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 07:39:12 PM »
I Just wouldn't bother with the DLC if that were the case.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #604 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 10:23:46 PM »
I grabbed it for 15 as well.  I owned the regular editon, but 15 bucks was more than worth it for the expansion and the DLC packs.

sad to see the framerate issues still exist though.  The console versions are a bit of a catch 22.  On one hand you have the graphically superior PS3 verison with framerate issues and stuttering, and then you have the Xbox 360 version which is notably smoother but suffers from low res textures and washed out colors.

PC version would be a no-brainer for me if sitting at my desk for hours at a time playing wasn't something I minded.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #605 on: Tuesday, December 21, 2010, 10:27:33 PM »
And the DLC is all on the disc.  It even separates them out from the main game for easy installation.

The 360 version has two discs, one for the regular game and another for expansion/DLC.

8.5 gigs for a full install.  I think it's time I looked into upgrading my PS3 hard drive.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #606 on: Wednesday, December 22, 2010, 03:15:55 PM »
I hope the PC version of DAO Ultimate [Retail] has the DLC on an additional disc...
Anyone know...?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #607 on: Thursday, December 23, 2010, 09:34:11 AM »
I forgot how much this game gives the PS3 fans a workout.  Thing sounds like it's going to take off.

Also, taking a year long hiatus from this game wasn't a good idea.  battles happen so quickly, it's like all I can do is sit there, mash on a few buttons, and watch it unfold.  It's like shit happens so fast I have no chance of making any sort of meaningful contribution.  Thus far it has ended in lots of deaths.

The paused/tactical thing the PC has would be most welcome. 

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #608 on: Thursday, December 23, 2010, 10:09:43 AM »
It is on sale on Steam... I have a feeling it might go down further on one of those one day sales.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #609 on: Monday, July 04, 2011, 07:07:02 AM »
This seems to be a common problem mainly w/ DA:O - Ultimate Edition, so, worth adding this to the thread.

Okay - this is all given that you already took the DA:O Ultimate Game Key and DLC Promo Code and registered them to your desired Bioware Social account and tied it to that, first.

Okay, I got it DAO - Ultimate downloaded and installed, but had trouble getting DLC activated.
And well....this basically did the trick - b/c DAO Updater service was NOT showing in services.
So if anybody bought DAO - Ultimate, check these steps to get your DLC activated.
Real simple.

Instructions:
1. Press Windows Key+R to open the run window and type in services.msc
2. Check to see if the Dragon Age: Origins - Content Updater service is there (usually it is not)
3. navigate to C: > Program Files (x86) or Program Files > Electronic Arts or Origin Games > Dragon Age: Origins > _Installer
4. Have them run the file DAUServiceSetup
5. Dragon Age: Origins - Content Updater will come up under services and make sure it is set to automatic
6. check to see if the content is now authorized

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #610 on: Thursday, January 05, 2012, 11:15:59 AM »
Sadly not. I really wanted to like the game and tried. I just couldn't stomach the averageness of the world and story. The only edgy stuff it tried to do, which they played up so much, it stole directly from The Witcher.

Sorry to hear that.  I'm enjoying it so far.  If it stole anything from The Witcher, I wouldn't know it, since I haven't played it.  It's clearly very Tolkien-esque.  I was even thinking which characters from LoTR would fit right in, replacing some of the NPCs.  Regardless, a lot has gone into the richness of the world, the lore, and the story.  I'm very much into it.  I'm playing as a human noble, so I have yet to see things from the viewpoint of a lowly elf "serf".  I'm looking forward to the different classes and variations to the story.

The combat is getting less strained as I learn how much I can do.  I played several hours before I realized I could program each character in my party to perform actions in a given sequence, the tactics.  I don't know enough yet to micromanage every step of the battle for every party member, but I'm glad I can have that level of control when things get dicey.

I'll post more later. after I've had more experience with it.  Right now, it looks like I'm heading for the first town with a new companion from the forest.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #611 on: Thursday, January 05, 2012, 07:54:13 PM »
The Witcher stuff was the racial prejudice and what have you, elves as second-class citizens, etc. The Witcher wasn't nearly as good in terms of combat (not even a quarter as good, really), but the world itself was much more interesting. DAO had that awesome encyclopedia and all the backstory and stuff... I just wish any of it had been worth reading.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #612 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 04:19:34 PM »
I'd like to discuss Dragon Age with you Cobra. How far in are you? What sort of character have you built?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #613 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »
I'm at Level 14 with a warrior specialized in berserk and champion.  I'm playing her as a good but pushy character.  I get on Morrigan's nerves, but Alistair likes me just fine.  I'm dumping most of my level-up points into strength and constitution, with some going into everything else except magic.  I'm leaving all magic to Morrigan so far, though I'm now playing through a dream world in the Mage's tower.  That mission put a healer in my party.  I left the Rogue behind.  Morrigan is just too important.

I wanted my first character to be a very straightforward tank, while I got through the game's learning curve.  Since I can take over any party character at any time, I've been switching a lot to Morrigan, and see what she can do.  I know the PC version of the game works somewhat differently.  On the 360, I have a radial menu that pauses the action whenever I invoke it.  By default, you're supposed to hold down a trigger to keep it open, but I changed that to a toggle.  Then lets me choose an action from any character, then it goes back to real time, though I can immediately call up the menu again, and issue the next command for anyone.  Party members all have a tactics list that is executed in order.  (I imagine the PC version has this as well?)  So you have Condition: Action X however many slots you have developed for each character.  They start out with 5.  I've been playing with this programming quite a bit as well, so there are some decent default behaviors during battles.  It's all a micromanager's delight.

I've been really impressed with the story so far.  There is so much history behind the scenes.  On the down side, I'm not terribly impressed with being taken out of the world and into an overworld map where you see your trail move from one location to another, with the occasional random battle or other encounter interrupting it.  I'm too spoiled by the Elder Scrolls world here.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #614 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 05:31:59 PM »
I'm at Level 14 with a warrior specialized in berserk and champion.  I'm playing her as a good but pushy character.  I get on Morrigan's nerves, but Alistair likes me just fine.  I'm dumping most of my level-up points into strength and constitution, with some going into everything else except magic.  I'm leaving all magic to Morrigan so far, though I'm now playing through a dream world in the Mage's tower.  That mission put a healer in my party.  I left the Rogue behind.  Morrigan is just too important.

I wanted my first character to be a very straightforward tank, while I got through the game's learning curve.  Since I can take over any party character at any time, I've been switching a lot to Morrigan, and see what she can do.  I know the PC version of the game works somewhat differently.  On the 360, I have a radial menu that pauses the action whenever I invoke it.  By default, you're supposed to hold down a trigger to keep it open, but I changed that to a toggle.  Then lets me choose an action from any character, then it goes back to real time, though I can immediately call up the menu again, and issue the next command for anyone.  Party members all have a tactics list that is executed in order.  (I imagine the PC version has this as well?)  So you have Condition: Action X however many slots you have developed for each character.  They start out with 5.  I've been playing with this programming quite a bit as well, so there are some decent default behaviors during battles.  It's all a micromanager's delight.
Yes, PC version has Tactics System, as well.

I didn't really use them. though - I micro-managed the hell out of my characters, as I played. Lots of pausing and strategizing.
I'm just so used to that, from the BG1+2 era of Bioware RPG's.

Also, worth noting - I probably controlled Morrigan more than even my main character Rogue. Morrigan is just TOO valuable in the party, no matter what.
To prove my point about Morrigan...
(click to show/hide)

Also, Wynne [the healer mage] is VERY important, as well - at least in the PC version, as there are battles you'd basically NEVER win without her.
(click to show/hide)

I been meaning to go back and play DAO Ultimate, since I have re-bought the game so I could have all the DLC now. I also wanted to play again, as a full-blown Mage. I just...haven't got around to it. DA:O was just such a LONG game - took over 105 hours to finish. That ain't even including Awakening, which was around another 30 hours.

On the down side, I'm not terribly impressed with being taken out of the world and into an overworld map where you see your trail move from one location to another, with the occasional random battle or other encounter interrupting it.  I'm too spoiled by the Elder Scrolls world here.
I didn't think that was a big deal myself. [shrug]
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 04:25:44 PM by MysterD »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #615 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 10:16:03 PM »
GAH!  Easy on the spoilers there, bud.  I haven't run into anything you mentioned there other than Wynne and Morrigan.

The way I've been playing is almost straight action for run-of-the mill battles, and more strategic pauses and commands for the bigger ones.  I have Morrigan's first tactical command as a heal upon an ally falling below 50% health.  Now that I have Wynne, I can probably change that slot to something else when I take her along.  I really want more slots in tactics, and it takes forever to get them upgraded.  I find it a fun exercise to try to program some smarts into the automated character behaviors.  The straight fighters are much easier than the mages to program, of course.  I'm still not sure how to best take advantage of all the conditionals and actions, particularly the mages'.

Well I finished the "dream quest".  That's the most entertainment I've gotten yet out of the game.  Very cool Zelda-like system of gaining abilities to expand access.  I wish more of the game were like that.  I was also lucky to discover at the very end that the spirit form can do more than just open certain doors, or I would have missed about 3 level-ups worth of free attribute points in there.  (Some of them I had simply missed along the way, tbh.)  I'm also glad I completed a certain quest early on in the game to get this heavily enchanted full suit of armor.  I had been lugging it along for a long time without being able to wear it.  With the strength points I found in the Fade, I was finally able to use it.  The later fights in there (without allies) would have been a bear without it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #616 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 04:24:40 PM »
Sorry about some of the Spoiling, Cobra.

Added to my post some Spoiler Tags and a few MORE important things I wanted to note...just don't read the one about Morrigan that I just added...at least NOT UNTIL you actually finish the entire game.
The spoiler is basically near the end of the game and IMHO is one of the most memorable parts of the game. ;) 

We'll discuss that stuff later.  ;D

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #617 on: Tuesday, March 04, 2014, 03:50:06 PM »
This game just came in the mail today, can't wait to dig into it. Gotta play it because Dragon's Dogma will probably come tomorrow and I see that taking most of my time.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #618 on: Tuesday, March 04, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »
I just started the game and I have to say the character customization is shit. Don't take this the wrong way, guys. I don't want to play as a white guy. One of the best things about character customization is that I can actually play as someone who looks something like me.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #619 on: Wednesday, March 05, 2014, 12:18:06 AM »
You can change your skin color.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #620 on: Wednesday, March 05, 2014, 06:44:40 AM »
I just started the game and I have to say the character customization is shit. Don't take this the wrong way, guys. I don't want to play as a white guy. One of the best things about character customization is that I can actually play as someone who looks something like me.
I do that too. I usually like to create a character that's an analogue of me in the game world. That's natural. Sometimes though I like to pretend I'm white, blonde, and blue-eyed.. But that's usually in games where I have no choice. Like Broken Sword.

You can change skin colour but I think the darkest in DAO is "tanned white guy" or "New Jersey spray-tan." You can get a mod for skin colours though. What's worse is the lighting in the character customization screen is dimmed, so you can't tell what the skin colour will actually look like until you start the game.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #621 on: Wednesday, March 05, 2014, 12:25:29 PM »
Oh you can't be black? That's lame!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #622 on: Wednesday, March 05, 2014, 04:59:42 PM »
Never fear, the game gets worse from there.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #623 on: Wednesday, March 05, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »
Yeah, I went with the "Jersey Shore" tanned guy, he sometimes looks sorta black. I like this game, but I am starting to understand some of the gripes people have with this game...or atleast the 360 version.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #624 on: Wednesday, March 05, 2014, 11:01:03 PM »
I haven't played the console version but I heard it was a mess.

The PC version is the ideal one but that's not to say it's flawless. It had its fair share of issues as well.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re:
« Reply #625 on: Sunday, March 16, 2014, 09:15:40 AM »
I haven't played the console version but I heard it was a mess.

The PC version is the ideal one but that's not to say it's flawless. It had its fair share of issues as well.

My biggest gripes w/ PC-version were the graphics weren't that great technically & artistically (for its time of release); that combat didn't LOOK that spectacular (combat just looks better + flashier in DA2); and Rogues weren't that unique for skills (not much different from a typical Warrior - but much weaker; DA2 handled Rogues much more uniquely as a Class + much deadlier).

DAO is a MUCH-MUCH better game and RPG than DA2, overall.

That's really...about it for me for complaints on DAO. Fantastic game.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #626 on: Tuesday, March 18, 2014, 06:43:02 PM »
Oddly enough, I played more of the game (console version) this evening. I got the point where someone in my party was always dying and then it got to the point where they were all dying. I tried leveling up, changing tactics, using more items, etc, but nothing works. I figure its because I need to take more control of my party, which you can do in this game, but its so complex and clunky that you actually lose control. Not only that, but keeping track of quests is a complete mess, I don't know if I will be playing this game too much longer.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re:
« Reply #629 on: Friday, July 15, 2016, 12:52:54 AM »
Impressive. If EA can keep this up GOG will be my new destination for EA games.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re:
« Reply #630 on: Sunday, July 17, 2016, 06:27:32 AM »
Impressive. If EA can keep this up GOG will be my new destination for EA games.

Problem I'd have is - well, I might already own some of these EA titles at Retail disc (with no service tied to it), Steam, and/or Origin.
I already have Dead Space 1 + Dragon Age: Origin - Ultimate both on Steam and Origin already.

Though, the damn No-DRM policy at GOG really still makes me want them also on GOG.
Would be nice if GOG + EA agreed to add those to their GOG Connect program.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #631 on: Sunday, July 17, 2016, 06:43:36 AM »
Problem I'd have is - well, I might already own some of these EA titles at Retail disc (with no service tied to it), Steam, and/or Origin.
I already have Dead Space 1 + Dragon Age: Origin - Ultimate both on Steam and Origin already.

Though, the damn No-DRM policy at GOG really still makes me want them also on GOG.
Would be nice if GOG + EA agreed to add those to their GOG Connect program.
Yeah, that would be cool.

Those games specifically were among the last batch of games that were not dependent on Origin. That could explain why/how they are able to go the No-DRM route.

By contrast, Dead Space 3, Dragon Age 2, got Origin hardwired into their code. They were all released after that EA-Valve dispute over DLC in 2011-2012; which is why they're not even on Steam.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #632 on: Sunday, July 17, 2016, 07:07:48 AM »
Yeah, that would be cool.

Those games specifically were among the last batch of games that were not dependent on Origin. That could explain why/how they are able to go the No-DRM route.
IIRC, Battlefield 3 was one of the first to exclusive require Origin from EA.

By contrast, Dead Space 3, Dragon Age 2, got Origin hardwired into their code. They were all released after that EA-Valve dispute over DLC in 2011-2012; which is why they're not even on Steam.
Well, that's certainly one of the issues.

The other major issue was this - EA was trying to buy-out Valve numerous times over the years and Gabe Newell said, "NO." Gave would rather let Valve fall-apart than sell it out to someone the likes of EA or some other huge publisher.
All of the stuff (the EA failure of buying Steam out and the DLC war with Valve on Steam) caused a major war b/t EA and Valve.

I would guess what EA would have to do w/ those EA-required games is just disable any of the Origin stuff and probably replace it with any GOG code, if they're going to release DRM-FREE versions onto GOG. Or, of course, GOG could add any of the GOG code themselves and EA would probably have to look at it and approve. Whatever makes either of them happy, I don't care - all I care is more EA games wind-up on GOG! :)

I would absolutely LOVE to see in particular Complete Editions (with ALL DLC's and expansions) on GoG for Mass Effect 2+3 and especially Dragon Age 2.