Author Topic: San Francisco  (Read 2818 times)

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
San Francisco
« on: Tuesday, October 26, 2010, 11:28:47 PM »
Hey guys,

Haven't been around in a while, but I just got accepted to speak at the American Society of Criminology conference in San Francisco in November (14th-20th) so I'll be there during those dates. I'm staying at the W San Francisco (181 3rd Street) - I'm presenting my research on media representations of injection drug users in relation to newspaper reports on Insite (our supervised injection facility).

I totally understand if not, but I'm curious if anyone is in that area and wanted to grab some food or get together for some gaming?

Once again, I've been pretty absent from these parts for some time, so I don't expect that some of you would even care to meet up, but I wanted to throw it out there because I don't make it to the States very often.

Also, how has everyone been? If it is any consolation, I haven't left you for another forum - I just don't spend that much time online anymore (probably less than 5 hours per week - unless I'm playing Minecraft)
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Re: San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 12:20:31 AM »
I think only Que lives around San Francisco..I live about 5 hours away. Good to hear from you though! This place needs a little more....colour
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 12:21:58 AM »
He's not black, you idiot.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 12:27:59 AM »
Don't forget I'm aching to punch someone in the kidneys, pug. Don't shift my attention off D to someone........new
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 12:31:46 AM »
Please... not the kidneys. :(

Also, welcome back Kams. I'll still call you Kams, if you don't mind.

Tell us more about the lecture. What have you been up to?

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 01:34:54 AM »
You can still call me Kams haha, I expect no less!

I've been working a ton, trying to get a paper published, working as a mental health worker at a detox center here in Vancouver - working with non-alcohol or benzo detox (since those are medically supervised) We deal mostly with clients detoxing from crack/cocaine and heroin, with some meth thrown in there. I graduated from SFU with my honours in Criminology in 2009. Basically I have a really expensive piece of paper that doesn't do much besides give me a head start at getting into grad school.

Yeah, after posting this I realized Que is the only one in San Fran, I got confused since there was a meetup there.

The lecture isn't really a lecture, it's a poster presentation. In short, I make up a fancy visual aid to the paper I wrote and stand by it like a schmuck and answer questions for anyone who is interested. It's actually pretty cool, since I'll be one of the only non-grad student or PhD with research represented at the conference.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 12:33:15 PM »
That's such an extraordinary field to be in... a mental health worker. I wonder how that happens. What are your plans for the future? Also, congrats on your graduation.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 04:29:29 PM »
Still in Vancouver, I see.  I was wondering about that and how you were doing.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 09:58:43 PM »
Yeah, still in Vancouver. Doing really well! Moved in with my girlfriend into a house in East Vancouver near Commercial.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 11:00:32 PM »
Get out of my neighbourhood.  I live pretty much on 12th and Commercial.  Well, I have a place there at least.  Never there really though.

Also, I was in San Fransisco a few years ago. It's no San Diego, but it's pretty fun and there's a fair bit to see.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 11:25:18 AM »
Haha you live like a 4 minute walk from my house. Creepy. Go back to the North Shore!
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 11:32:12 AM »
Poster session... San Francisco? Do they have that in the Moscone Center for your field too? I'll be there in about 1.5 months doing the same thing, except I'll be talking about minerals and not people.

The reason the meetups were in the Bay Area was because both Que and I lived there. This was true up until this August when I left. I would have been interested in grabbing a dinner or something at least. Too bad the timing didn't work out.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, November 03, 2010, 02:53:40 AM »
I'm guessing Que is declining, since he's ignoring this thread, but that's kinda expected. I never assumed I was his favourite person on this forum, and since I've been gone for a while I can see how one would think it might be awkward.

The conference is at the Marriott Marquis, which is right near there, but I don't think it is at the Moscone.

Yeah, it's too bad timing didn't work out better, but hey, at least it gave me a reason to come back here and post some more!
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, November 03, 2010, 09:56:16 PM »
Actually, I meant to respond but life has been extremely busy as of late and I've barely been on the computer at all.  Hopefully I'll come back tonight and read this again because I forget the details, heh.

I'd be down to grab some food or do something if you are, provided I can work it into my schedule.  Things are sort of insane for me right now.  New position at my job, considering quitting, bunch of other stuff.  But my schedule is generally pretty open these days at least as far as social stuff goes, so let me know what's going on and I'd be happy to treat you to dinner and drinks.
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 04, 2010, 06:28:55 PM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野