Author Topic: "What TV Shows Have You Watched Lately?" Thread  (Read 36877 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: "What TV Shows Have You Watched Lately?" Thread
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 09:52:46 AM »
***SPOILERS***

(click to show/hide)

I understand about plot devices being good or bad.  They had to get the story to this point.  The device used is not bad, I don't think.  It's a challenge, because any path here stretches credibility (as does the entire premise--which we're willing accept).
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 10:23:29 AM by Cobra951 »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 10:13:52 AM »
I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to use the spoiler tags anyway in case we get a functioning spoiler plugin installed in the near future.  Not a demand, just a thought.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 10:24:57 AM »
Good point.  Done.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 10:30:36 AM »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 11:35:58 AM »
I wass super excited about the music in this show after the first episode, with Black Hole Sun and Paint It Black. The piano/orchestral renditions of rock songs was really interesting to me. Unfortunately, I don't think I've been familiar with a single song that's gotten this treatment in any other episode.

I found this random list in a search once, and it seems to be updated within a day or two of each episode airing: http://www.lyricsoundtrack.com/tv-shows/westworld-soundtrack-music-songs

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »
Great link, man.  Thanks for that.  After Ain't No Grave in the first episode, I thought we'd be treated to a succession of unusually compelling offbeat tracks during the end credits, as in Boardwalk Empire.  But that hasn't been repeated since.  I wish they would get back to that.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, December 07, 2016, 04:38:42 AM »
Just watched the finale... holy shit that was totally well worth it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, December 07, 2016, 06:31:18 PM »
Outstanding.  You know, they could end it altogether right there.  It works.  But I hope they don't.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #48 on: Thursday, December 08, 2016, 04:21:49 AM »
Right, I felt the same. There was a little bit open to leave for more but at the same time a pretty satisfying closure to the season.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, December 08, 2016, 09:26:03 AM »
I've watched Westworld through Episode 9.  I think I'm done.  I tried, but it just doesn't do anything for me.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #50 on: Thursday, December 08, 2016, 05:56:03 PM »
Dude all you got left is the finale, just finish it.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #51 on: Saturday, December 24, 2016, 12:25:34 AM »
I finally finished off Boardwalk Empire the other night, what a fantastic show. I know I'm a bit behind the times on this one but glad I caught myself up on it. If any of you missed it and enjoyed the Wire's Omar, then you'll really like Michael K. Williams' performance as Chalky White.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, December 24, 2016, 12:37:28 AM »
I really want to watch that, I just never have time (or money, if it's not on Netflix) for TV anymore these days. How many seasons did that end up running?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #53 on: Saturday, December 24, 2016, 12:55:13 AM »
5 seasons, the last one is more of a bookend where its a few episodes shorter but more or less closes out the series. I had wondered where Steve Buscemi had gone all this time and now that I've watched this, I can't see him topping his role in this. Most of the series, up to season 4 is on Amazon prime if you have that.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, December 24, 2016, 04:47:55 AM »
I do, since I'm a student. I might have to try it if I can find the time.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #55 on: Monday, January 30, 2017, 08:16:07 PM »
I recently finished watching Narcos and The OA. I enjoyed both.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #56 on: Saturday, April 22, 2017, 05:48:04 AM »
I finally finished off Boardwalk Empire the other night, what a fantastic show. I know I'm a bit behind the times on this one but glad I caught myself up on it. If any of you missed it and enjoyed the Wire's Omar, then you'll really like Michael K. Williams' performance as Chalky White.

Oh, yeah - Boardwalk was really freaking good.
So was The Wire.

Very highly recommend those shows.

EDIT:
Dude all you got left is the finale, just finish it.

THIS. So THIS.
I loved Westworld. Can't wait for next season.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, May 07, 2017, 05:23:47 AM »
Anyone been catching American Gods (TV series) on Starz?

Really out there + bizarre.
The acting and cast are really good.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, May 31, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »
I watched 4 episodes of Twin Peaks: The Return (AKA Twin Peaks: Season 3) on Showtime.

WAY out there.
Of course, Lynch's stuff always is, to say the least.

Granted, I probably do still need to watch the first 2 seasons + the movie.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, June 01, 2017, 08:33:03 AM »
Anyone been catching American Gods (TV series) on Starz?

Really out there + bizarre.
The acting and cast are really good.
Watched the first 5 episodes. I still can't decide if I like it but I'm gonna keep up to see where the story goes.

I will say though it has far too many gratuitous scenes of sex and violence (including full frontal nudity).

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, June 01, 2017, 05:11:27 PM »
There is less than zero reason to watch the new season of Twin Peaks if you've never seen the originals. Seriously, it's a complete waste of your time. Go back and watch the others.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #61 on: Thursday, June 01, 2017, 09:22:19 PM »
Been looking for a new show to watch but everything Ive tried I havent been able to get past the first episode. Then I tried House of Cards the other night, didn't think I could get into it because of the subject matter but I heard good things. I'm now 6 episodes in and I don't want to stop.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #62 on: Friday, July 07, 2017, 12:07:44 PM »
Just watched the first episode of Castlevania on Netflix.

So far so good!

WARNING:
It's hyper-violent.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #63 on: Sunday, July 15, 2018, 08:08:22 AM »
Sharp Objects.

Just started on HBO last week. With so many (incomplete) pieces here thrown at us, I really want to see where this goes. Amy Adams, so far, is great...as the drunken reporter with lots of issues who is trying to find out about missing girls and murders. Really having a lot of True Detective: Season 1 vibes here so far, with the setting, premise, & whatnot.

Really looking forward to Episode 2 tonight.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: Monday, July 16, 2018, 06:35:36 AM »
I'm waiting for a few more episodes before I start watching it.  Read good things about it, and I love Amy. 

You may want to watch Big Little Lies, if you haven't already.  One season, all it was ever meant to be, though with its success, it looks like a second season may be in the works.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, July 17, 2018, 09:54:40 AM »
Stuff I'm watching now:

Westworld: I continue to be very bored of this show. A lot of people I know seem to like it and it obviously has a high production value, but I just don't like it much. I'm not caught up, but I have watched several episodes into season 2. I don't know why I still bother. Showhole, I guess?

Sharp Objects: I loved other HBO miniseries like Big Little Lies and The Night Of, so I'm giving this one a shot as well. There isn't much to see in the first episode. Mainly just setting up some characters and the small, very tight-knit town setting. Very, very slowly paced. Amy Adams is great.

Breaking Bad: Honestly, I've never seen even one second of an episode before this past weekend. I'm now finished with episodes 1 and 2 of the first season. So far so good! This is going to be a long row to hoe.

Other stuff I saw recently:

Abstentia: This one starts out with the fact that an FBI agent (Stana Katic of Castle fame) has been missing and presumed dead for six years. Her widower (?) husband, also an FBI agent and raising their only child, has eventually moved on and remarried. Suddenly, he gets a call and someone, presumably her abductor, reveals she's still alive and she's rescued. She has many psychological issues related to her abduction. Her kid either doesn't know her or barely does and mostly ignores her. Her husband feels like he's betraying both his current and former wives whenever he's with the other one. I thought episode 2 was quite stupid and it didn't hook me at all. I'm probably done with this one.

Bosch: I have seen this in my Amazon Prime Video feed for awhile but never really heard anything about it until someone mentioned it being good a couple of months ago. It's about LAPD homicide detective, Harry Bosch, and each season is about solving a particular crime. Apparently it's similar in some ways to The Wire, though I haven't seen that so I can't confirm. It's based on a series of books by Michael Connelly. My wife and I were hooked immediately and watched all four seasons in just a few weeks. The writing and direction can be a little off at times, but the acting is generally very good and the story is fantastic. Can't wait for season 5!

Various crime documentaries (Making a Murderer, The Staircase, Evil Genius): I love this stuff! They are about real past crimes and their trials where, even today, there is no clear idea of what happened with any certainty. They are really easy to get into and the producers do a great job with the pacing and telling of the story. However, I'm very cognizant that the producers tend to inject their biases into them that can definitely influence your opinion on what happened. I tend to read about them after watching to get more information and other sides of the story. For example, MaM leaves out a bunch of important details that would probably change the viewers opinion. For The Staircase...
(click to show/hide)

Narcos: What a great show! It's a somewhat fictionalized story of the Columbian Medellin and Cali cartels, and the U.S. D.E.A.'s and the Columbia government's efforts against them.  Seasons 1 and 2 focus on the Medellin cartel (almost exclusively Pablo Escobar) while season 3 focuses on the Cali cartel. It loses a little steam in the third season with the loss of one of the principal actors playing one of the DEA agents in seasons 1 and 2 and the switch in focus from the infamous Pablo Escobar to the lesser known Cali cartel and its principals. It's mostly in Spanish with subtitles.

Dark: This subtitled German show is not like anything I have ever seen. I can't really say anything without ruining various stuff, but it has a very... *ahem*... dark theme, the acting is fantastic, and the story is great. It can be a bit hard to follow.

Homeland: I never watched the first several seasons of this, and still haven't, but the last couple of seasons have been absolutely fantastic. It definitely injects aspects of the current political climate into various details in the show, but without making it anti-Trump or anything like that.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #66 on: Saturday, July 21, 2018, 05:11:09 PM »
You may want to watch Big Little Lies, if you haven't already.  One season, all it was ever meant to be, though with its success, it looks like a second season may be in the works.
BLL was really good, to say the least.
And the shock-ending to Season 1 was something else to behold, as well.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »
Bosch: I have seen this in my Amazon Prime Video feed for awhile but never really heard anything about it until someone mentioned it being good a couple of months ago. It's about LAPD homicide detective, Harry Bosch, and each season is about solving a particular crime. Apparently it's similar in some ways to The Wire, though I haven't seen that so I can't confirm. It's based on a series of books by Michael Connelly. My wife and I were hooked immediately and watched all four seasons in just a few weeks. The writing and direction can be a little off at times, but the acting is generally very good and the story is fantastic. Can't wait for season 5!

Thanks for that.  After 3 episodes, I'm fairly hooked too.

Edit:  And then E04 happened.  Telegraphed stupidity from a half-hour ahead.  Damn.  Let's see if it picks itself back up through the rest of the season.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 26, 2018, 10:03:59 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, July 25, 2018, 10:03:35 AM »
I've now watched the first three episodes of Sharp Objects. After a slow E1 and E2, I went in to E3 saying that this is the make or break episode. It started off fairly boring, but towards the end started raising some interesting new issues. I wouldn't say I'm hooked and in for the long haul, but it's kept my interest enough to tune in for at least another episode.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #69 on: Saturday, September 01, 2018, 07:33:54 PM »
Looking forward to diving into season 3 (the final season) of Ash vs. Evil Dead. Hopefully before I flee the country.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: Sunday, September 02, 2018, 06:06:41 AM »
I've now watched the first three episodes of Sharp Objects. After a slow E1 and E2, I went in to E3 saying that this is the make or break episode. It started off fairly boring, but towards the end started raising some interesting new issues. I wouldn't say I'm hooked and in for the long haul, but it's kept my interest enough to tune in for at least another episode.

They dragged the intolerable-mother thing way too long for my taste.  Jesus.  I started to click ahead on the video timeline after a few episodes whenever she was given free reign over the plot.  And we know where that went.  Even so, I think I would have edited at least one whole episode out, cut Adora's time in half.  I guess there must be many people who live for portrayals of that kind of domestic hell.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #71 on: Saturday, April 13, 2019, 01:03:35 PM »
Do you have NetFlix?

If you do, check out Russian Doll. Really enjoyed the hell out of the first season of it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, April 30, 2020, 09:05:17 PM »
Watched Unorthodox on Netflix. Religious Studies student and all, sort of obligated. One episode left, but it's been a really interesting show thus far, can see why it's gotten so much buzz. Rarely have time to watch TV anymore these days, though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #73 on: Sunday, May 03, 2020, 08:24:29 AM »
Showtime - Billions (Season 5); Penny Dreadful: City of Angels (Season 1).
Starz - Vida (Season 3).
HBO - My Brilliant Friend (Season 2); The Plot Against America (Season 1); Westworld (Season 3); Run (Season 1).
Fox - Prodigal Son (Season 1).
USA - Briarpatch (Season 1).
AMC - Killing Eve (Season 3); Better Call Saul (Season 5).

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #74 on: Monday, May 04, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »
I finally gave Altered Carbon a shot and I am really digging it. I also still love The Expanse and Babylon Berlin.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #75 on: Sunday, June 21, 2020, 05:18:29 AM »
I finally gave Altered Carbon a shot and I am really digging it.

Yeah, I really dug it too.

Loved Season 1; and Season 2 was also pretty good.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, June 23, 2020, 05:20:23 PM »
Season 2 was nowhere near as good. Good enough to keep me watching, but I really missed all the actors from the first season. I don't know what it is, but I don't like Anthony Mackie all that much.

And what is up with the relative lack of nudity in comparison to season 1? S1 was full of all kinds of nudity, including full frontal. S2 is practically chaste.

I'm watching The Witcher now. I don't love it because I'm typically not much into magical fantasy settings, but it has good production values and the acting is also pretty great.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2020, 07:09:04 PM »
Do you have NetFlix?

If you do, check out Russian Doll. Really enjoyed the hell out of the first season of it.

This was a surprise fav of mine. Really great.   

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: Saturday, June 27, 2020, 12:32:13 AM »
Season 3 of Dark is out on Netflix today, so it's a good time to get into it.  Apparently the last season, this show has been a favorite of mine for the last few years for binge watching.  I'm not even going to try to sum it up but it's great and being able to go through the whole story at once is probably the best way to do it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #79 on: Saturday, June 27, 2020, 04:26:06 AM »
I tried to watch Dark season 2 but had so much trouble following who was who and what was going on at the end of S1 that I was completely lost after returning to the show after the hiatus between seasons. I think I only ended up watching the first episode.

I forgot to mention that someone convinced me to watch Schitt's Creek.It's been quite awhile since I found a sitcom I enjoyed, but I really love this one. I highly recommend it. Seasons 1 - 5 are on Netflix, while Season 6 is on Hulu + Live TV (with interstitial ads 🤮).