Author Topic: San Francisco is whack  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
San Francisco is whack
« on: Monday, November 15, 2010, 10:48:10 PM »
What's the deal with all the Mexicans pretending to be Portland hipsters? This is a fucked up city.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Re: San Francisco is whack
« Reply #1 on: Monday, November 15, 2010, 10:54:10 PM »
yeah it's a pretty weird town.

The Mexican food though is top notch. SF and LA probably have the best mexican food in the world. (Including Mexico)
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 12:10:50 AM »
I just felt kinda racist, trying to fit the square peg mexicans into the round hole that is my conception of white-guilt-fed middle-class douche-privilege. 
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 12:12:52 AM »
Funny you should mention this because it reminds me of my last time in San Francisco:

-There's three of us on a road trip.  We're staying in some part of town none of us had been to before in some old hotel.  We probably pull in around 8 at night and promptly decide we need to go get booze.  I don't remember if we went to an actual liquor store or a corner store that just had a shit load of liquor, but wherever we went was run by hardcore latinos.  The entire time that we were in there they were yelling at some black guy, making comments about his nappy hair or something like that.  As we were leaving he pulled out his (little and black) dick and yelled at the cashiers to "Say hello to my little black dick"....or something.  And then we saw some guy doing what I could only imagine was sharpening a screw driver on a brick.  

-We then drank and went out to some (I guess) college bar where some douche kept on "slyly" putting used skoal on my buddy's jacket (which was on a chair)...I imagine because we were talking to some girls he knows and he decided to show his protest in the most passive agressive way possible. Deciding that we'd bank our Get Out of Jail Free credits with the police until San Diego (which came in very handy), we just kind of watched this for a while, made sure the motherfucker knew he was busted, said goodbye to the girls and walked out, making sure that he got the point with a series of three shoulder bumps along the way.  It wasn't a big deal, but it was just really weird.

-GO TO THE FUCKING SUBMARINE TOUR IN THE BAY.  Probably the funnest shitty tourist trap ever.  And there's motherfucking crab sandwiches there.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 12:31:56 AM »
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 08:03:41 AM »
I just felt kinda racist, trying to fit the square peg mexicans into the round hole that is my conception of white-guilt-fed middle-class douche-privilege. 

Haha!  When observations of fact trigger a response like that, you know we're in trouble.

I so want to visit the West coast, and SF would be one of the highlights.  I made it as far as Boulder, Colorado once, but only for training in some software for my job at the time.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 08:24:08 AM »
I feel like I should give myself more time to appraise the city before declaring its whackness. Gonna do some tourist stuff today, perhaps check out the Speakeasy brewery. I will make sure to get a shake from that place at some point.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 09:40:46 AM »
Haha!  When observations of fact trigger a response like that, you know we're in trouble.

I so want to visit the West coast, and SF would be one of the highlights.  I made it as far as Boulder, Colorado once, but only for training in some software for my job at the time.

If anything, it just proved that being a filthy hipster isn't confined to just 20-something white middle class people (the only exposure I've had of this sick breed to this point) You know, the Portland brand hipster.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 03:04:48 PM »
San Francisco seems like such an alien place to me that I have no desire to ever visit it.  I remember I briefly dated a girl from Berkely...

I was in a fraternity during the time of that Dukes of Hazzard reunion, for which we had the obligatory costume party.  One of the guys even decided to paint his late 80's Dodge 6000 like the General Lee.  Got a "Dixie" horn and everything.  There was a big debate in the house about whether we should put the Confederate flag on top of the car.  One side was like "It will obviously be recognized as a parody on the car from Dukes of Hazzard and nothing sinister".  The other side was like "Yeah probably but you never know and we should avoid ruffling any feathers just in case".  We decided not to put it on there, but I remember my g/f saying that if someone had driven a car painted like the General Lee with the flag on top to her high school or to the U. of California at Berkely there would have been a campus-wide protest.  Can you believe that?  A campus-wide protest over a car painted like a famous car in a famous TV show.  And sure Hazzard was portrayed as backwater in the show, but it wasn't like the show was racist or anything like that.

To me, painting the Confederate flag on top of a bright orange car with the block numbers "01" on the side with a horn that plays "Dixie" is different than flying the Confederate flag from and installing a "Dixie" horn on some random car or truck.  You have to be a moron not to see the difference.  It'd be like getting mad at someone burning a pink shirt because you think they are against the support of breast cancer awareness.

Also she said she led a campus-wide high school protest against Chiquita and got Chiquita bananas banned from her school cafeteria for some reason or another.

Like I said... totally alien to me.  I hate to say it, but my experience with her really turned me off to the Bay Area in general.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 03:24:28 PM »
Berkley reminds me of the hippies on Futurama.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 04:27:45 PM »
From someone who was basically a student in some form for the past decade in Berkeley, that whole side of things gets blown way out of proportion. Sure, there are a lot of people over there who act like that, but they don't realize how little true support they actually have from the vast majority of people on campus. I get feeling that everyone else just lets them do their thing out of tradition, although I get the feeling that those days are ending too. After the last round of protests and rallies over tuition increases it was discovered that a good chunk of the instigators weren't even students or faculty, just wannabe outsiders.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 08:27:43 PM »
From someone who was basically a student in some form for the past decade in Berkeley, that whole side of things gets blown way out of proportion. Sure, there are a lot of people over there who act like that, but they don't realize how little true support they actually have from the vast majority of people on campus. I get feeling that everyone else just lets them do their thing out of tradition, although I get the feeling that those days are ending too. After the last round of protests and rallies over tuition increases it was discovered that a good chunk of the instigators weren't even students or faculty, just wannabe outsiders.

This sounds SO much like my experience at Simon Fraser University.

One thing I have noticed is that the panhandlers in San Francisco are way more aggro than in Vancouver. When I was in the Telus store getting a replacement phone cable there was this old woman RIPPING into this employee for not shooing them away from the store entrance. He must have been the manager, because he just very dryly stated, "Try going to India, it's a lot worse there" - It was particularly delicious because she then had to sit there stewing while she used one of those terminal things to pay her phone bill.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 09:33:38 PM »
Wait...there are Telus stores in San Fransisco?

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 09:46:37 PM »
Wow... Did I really just do that? I meant to say AT&T

I am way too Canadian.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 11:03:03 PM »
Did you eat a San Francisco burrito yet? Pretty outstanding stuff
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 02:42:00 AM »
Jesus, 4$ guinness pints are basically asking for alcoholism. Apparently I got a bit worked up watching episode 3 of the Walking Dead, and I ended up punching something, and now my knuckle is bloody. What the hell? This is why I smoke weed instead of drink. But what the hell? 4$ guinness pints? Get outta town.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 02:59:02 AM »
Uhh how much do they cost in Canada?
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 03:00:12 AM »
7.50-8.50, depending on the bar.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 03:17:56 AM »
Wow, this thread has really become a case study in why you shouldn't drink and post. Sorry, guys.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 03:35:11 AM »
Oh, and "something" was the palm of my hand when the cop's partner was beating up on the guy for hitting the women. It is all so clear now. But my hand still hurts.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 09:05:58 AM »
7.50-8.50, depending on the bar.
USD?  That's insane!  They are usually around $4 here too.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 09:20:49 AM »

Why would Canadian bars charge USD? Although, the two currencies are around par lately.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 10:37:58 AM »
Yeah, San Francisco is retarded.  Your observations are entirely accurate.  I'm really not fond of the place.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 10:47:59 AM »

You can usually find $2 domestics around here. I would never pay $8 for a beer. That's like paying to be raped.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 06:30:52 PM »
The first time I visited Coit Tower was in 1994 in the ridiculously awesome game "Under a Killing Moon" (even though there was a lot of disc changing) - Today I finally visited it for real. The similarity? Both times, I was unable to go to the top and look around. Disappointing. Also, they have a statue out front that says "Christopher Columbus - Discoverer of America" ... WTF San Francisco. WTF.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 06:38:49 PM »
Well, San Francisco DID have the only Emperor of America
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 06:50:38 PM »
Well I guess as long as you're going for revisionism, you might as well go for broke.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, November 17, 2010, 07:51:59 PM »
You can usually find $2 domestics around here. I would never pay $8 for a beer. That's like paying to be raped.
Yeah, same here.  The $4 I was talking about was for Guinness pints.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, November 18, 2010, 05:51:20 PM »
Beer in America is so cheap. Coming back to Canada after being in the states is the worst. A $5 pint is basically as cheap as it gets and that's pre-tip and all that.

And not just at bars, in-store too. In Nova Scotia the cheapest 6 pack is $13.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #29 on: Friday, November 19, 2010, 05:26:05 PM »
It was really rainy today so I stayed in all day and ate room service while playing games. While I could have done this at home, it is really nice not having my girlfriend around for a few days. I love her a lot, and I miss her, but it's still nice.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...