Author Topic: 3DS may cause your balls to explode.  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
3DS may cause your balls to explode.
« on: Tuesday, January 04, 2011, 09:43:09 AM »
And by balls, I am referring to eyeballs.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/12/30/nintendo.3ds.kids/index.html

And by explode, I actually meant mess up.

Kids age 6 and younger who play the 3-D games may have the growth of their eyes stunted, the company said in a statement on its Japanese website.

The warning notes that parents can turn off the 3-D functionality of the handheld 3DS. They can also set passwords that keep kids from using that feature.

The statement also asks everyone who plays the 3-D gaming system to take periodic breaks from the games as often as every hour or 30 minutes.

The warning follows many others on the potential health effects of three-dimensional entertainment. TV makers have issued warnings about young people, pregnant women and even drunk people viewing 3-D TV, noting that the medium may cause nausea, dizziness and seizures.

3D has fallen flat so far. Little consumer adoption etc. Plus, all these health issues are worrisome. Eyes are something I would never take risk with. And really, I can think of a dozen parents who'd buy their little kids 3DS systems, because they'd never ever even consider the possibility that these products could be harmful.

I wouldn't even call it bad parenting. It is one thing to buy your child a violent video game, or to let them watch R rated movies, and another to buy them a handheld from Nintendo.

The box should have a massive ugly warning label on it. Should be more than some statement on a dumb website.

The statement also asks everyone who plays the 3-D gaming system to take periodic breaks from the games as often as every hour or 30 minutes.

Wow.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: 3DS may cause your balls to explode.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 04, 2011, 11:53:31 AM »
Yep, similar case was made with 3D TV's. Makes sense.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 04, 2011, 12:02:09 PM »
Oh no! Not my...oh, eyes. Well I suppose thats bad, too. But man I was really worried for a second there.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 05, 2011, 12:29:31 AM »
Are they just being overly careful here?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 05, 2011, 12:49:09 AM »
Yea it is a possibility. Covering their bases in case someone sues.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, March 25, 2011, 08:07:55 PM »
I don't feel like making a new thread for such a minor thing, but I got to play a 3DS today. It had the Pilotwings game in it. The effect is neat but I didn't play it long enough to see if it causes headaches or anything. The "depth" slider works as advertised and its easy to switch from 3D to just flat 2D even while playing.

Also, I like the analog stick.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, March 26, 2011, 02:57:55 AM »
Nice!  I'm still tempted to buy one. The good news is Nintendo is apparently pushing to make sure none of the games NEED the 3D in order to be fully playable...so that's nice.