Author Topic: Abe's Oddysee HD?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Abe's Oddysee HD?
« on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 12:01:14 PM »
Woo!
“Abe HD is going into production,” Lanning told the mag.

“It’s basically Abe’s Oddysee being redone in a 3D physics engine as a 2D side-scrolling platformer. So the way Just Add Water wants to approach it, we thought was very smart; they are not trying to reinvent any wheels. It’s like, ‘Can we make that experience in a new engine, with new tech, in the old way?’”

Oddworld Inhabitants and the Yorkshire-based JAW announced last year a collaboration to create titles in the Oddworld series “across multiple platforms”.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: Abe's Oddysee HD?
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 12:51:55 PM »
Hmmm... physics engine? Fuck.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »
Yeah, that kinda worries me. I'm not sure how that would work with how the original game played.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 12:58:49 PM »
Its just something I found out a little while ago is that I really don't like physics based platformers. Limbo, nope. Trine, nope. Littlebigplanet, nope. They all frustrate me. This could seriously fuck it up for me.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
I'm ok with the physics implementation but I hope they do something unique with it rather than just casually throw in some meaningless rubble into the levels.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 04:41:41 PM »
Actually, I would be better with meaningless rubble. It would go to make the game look more detailed (something that's going to have to happen if it's going to live up to the 2D work originally done for the game), but wouldn't affect the gameplay in any way.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 31, 2011, 06:05:40 PM »
On one hand, great - the games didn't age well....at least on the PC.  On the other, JAW has been really hit and miss with the PC ports of Munch and Stranger.  Well, that and I really found the trial and error based gameplay of Abe to be waaaay past it's prime.